Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,704 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I came across this website Prairie Opportunity --

and not sure if anyone familier with the Northwest ND, or anyone here in the fourm been there Before in NWND, i heard it is getting expensive up in this part of ND?!! and there is an ecnomic booming as well in this part

I would appreciate any inputs

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM

103 posts, read 706,489 times
Yes, NW North Dakota is going through an economic boom of sorts. They are having an energy boom. The shortage of housing from the influx of new people has pushed up the prices of houses and apartments. But, not to the extent that they exceed house prices of other major towns in ND. Most of the new homes being built in Williston are in the 200,000 to 250,000 range. New apartments being built are pretty spendy...but they are higher end though. A single bedroom apartment will go for around $800.00 and the 2&3 bedrooms for $1.000.00 to 1,200.00. I think for ND that is somewhat high, considering you can get a newer 3 bedroom in Bismarck for around $850.00.
Williston moved up from 6th in average income to 2nd , just behind Beulah-Hazen. They surpassed Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks, and Minot for 2006...will be interesting to see what the 2007 statistics show. Jobs are abundant, and pay very well if you like energy service and outdoor type work. It is very tough work. Housing is very limited, new homes are usually sold while the foundations are being poured. I drove around and had to laugh when I saw holes in the ground with SOLD or SALE PENDING on the signs in front of the holes. This boom is expected to last longer than the last boom/bust...because of the Bakken oil formation in the Williston basin. The entire NW area of ND and NE area of MT are benefiting the most from the boom. Hope this gives you some insight. I'm sure others will give you their opinions...some positive, and some negative.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:57 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
I only lived in Williston for 3 months but because of who I worked for , I learned a fair amount about the town. if you have some questions, feel free to ask and I'll see what I can give ya for an answer

Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 AM

82 posts, read 258,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolmf View Post
Hi,

I came across this website Prairie Opportunity --

and not sure if anyone familier with the Northwest ND, or anyone here in the fourm been there Before in NWND, i heard it is getting expensive up in this part of ND?!! and there is an ecnomic booming as well in this part

I would appreciate any inputs

Thanks a lot
It's good old supply and demand out west. There's a lot of new workers there due to the oil boom, and they're all looking for housing, hence the price is driven up a bit. However, there's more jobs than workers, so they're paying better than average wages. In the long run, I think it's a wash, so I wouldn't base my decision on perceived cost differences.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM

13 posts, read 51,462 times
What a great website that Prairie Opportunities is! It sums up what is great about NW North Dakota wonderfully(don't tell anyone about what North Dakota is really like! They'll all want summer homes here!) And I'd say their criteria and checklists for relocating here are right on! This area is not for everyone, but it is for some. And there is some opportunity. The only criticism I can come up with quickly about the website is they don't say much about the commuting. Nearly every job offered in the oil field involves lots of driving and distance--especially now since it seems much of the action in the future will be south of Stanley or Parshall. Just a thought--

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM

27 posts, read 121,560 times
I think posters and readers need to also keep in mind that this is not the first time that western ND has seen an oil boom,and it probably will not be the last.
The Williston area went thru a similar event years ago and probably before many of you were born.At that time,the town went boom then bust,as has been seen in any area of the country with oil production.The reason it is in a boom the cost of oil is so high and therefore worth the extra money to get it out of the ground.Also the advent of new drilling techiques have made it more affordable unlike the past.
I would certainly not wish to spend my hard earned dollars on "possibly" over priced real estate,only to be stuck with it in 5,10 or so years when it will certainly go bust again.
Unless of course your young enough that you don't/won't care and can move to the next green pasture.
Granted,the oil boom is a wonderful thing,,,,,,,,,right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota