Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:09 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

There's been some talk about this on an RV forum I'm on because there are a few other states that were normally RV friendly to Nomads, they seem to be cracking down on the physical address situation as many full time RVers only use a mailing service.
In some cases it's understandable that local governments want people who actually live in the community to invest with an informed vote. The problem with some very friendly states for RVers where they allow a mail service only, is that they only require you to "intend" to live in the area at some point in the future. Well for many people that's taken as a wink wink, nod nod, and off they go.

Places like North Dakota has never been known to be as RV friendly as others, but they do have snowbirds that move back and forth and may have problems with absentee ballots etc. and I believe their having the same problems in some parts of Texas, and Florida is under fire for the physical address subject, and there are a ton of nomadic retirees that have used Florida for years as their base.

Part of the problem of course comes as well from fear of non citizens voting in our elections. Maybe it would be easy enough to bring some proof of citizenship, but there are some in this country who are indeed citizens, but because of childhood circumstances and community environments never had a proper birth certificate issued and if they live in the kind of communities where problems are rampant and "why bother" attitudes prevail, many don't sort these things out and by the time they rise above their circumstances they find themselves in a mess. It's a complicated issue.

As far as politics go... geesh, I hate politicians. I grew up with Chappaquidick and Watergate. Shyt* all around! There may be legit reasons the Supreme Court made it's decision, but wouldn't surprise me if the Republicans are playing dirty with it. I'm sure there are many good reasons to keep voter ID laws as lax and liberal as possible, but then you have Democrats wanting to open the borders and let the whole 3rd world in and make promises they can't keep in return for their allegiance. Politicians love their power.

Well, didn't mean to veer off on too political of a rant, BUT just wanted to put my 2 cents about that in order to explain why I don't boycott states when they do something STUPID! Or if their NASTY politicians do something NASTY as politicians will often DO! If I boycotted every state that ticked me off, I wouldn't go anywhere!!

So see ya soon North Dakota!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 12:12 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
There's been some talk about this on an RV forum I'm on because there are a few other states that were normally RV friendly to Nomads, they seem to be cracking down on the physical address situation as many full time RVers only use a mailing service.
In some cases it's understandable that local governments want people who actually live in the community to invest with an informed vote. The problem with some very friendly states for RVers where they allow a mail service only, is that they only require you to "intend" to live in the area at some point in the future. Well for many people that's taken as a wink wink, nod nod, and off they go. I believe their having the same problems in some parts of Texas, and Florida is under fire for the physical address subject, and there are a ton of nomadic retirees that have used Florida for years as their base.
States are looking to stuff their general revenue fund with whatever it takes to accomplish it. The reason is their cities and counties are basically broke. They spent the $$$ on pet projects and didn't put the money where it belongs - pensions.

My insurance company bases the rates on where my rig is "garaged". If I said I'm on the road 8 of 12 months, they won't be happy and will likely raise my rates to the highest level. States like FL, MT, SD and TX have been skirting the laws for quite sometime. I don't knoe anyone that winters in the Dakotas or Montana - hence they seek states with more favourable priced plates or no sales tax. Escapees Club has long used Livingston, TX as their base for forwarding mail. I'll bet less than 25% of that club actually lives there.

It's a tax dodge. Just pay the sales tax and you can live anywhere you want. Missoula MT rv dealers have used the LLC laws to their benefit. So, a few from CA & NY can avoid paying sales tax on their Prevost, they use the LLC to avoid paying it when they arrive home. Driving thru central GA yesterday, there was a Prevost with FL plates, but the toad was plated from NY. How long before they catch them?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:57 AM

459 posts, read 699,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops00 View Post
Sounds like a mountain from a mole hill issue. from one of your article...

Quote:
The state government says that residents without a street ID should contact their county's 911 coordinator to sign up for a free street address and request a letter confirming that address.
How difficult is that really?

Old 10-31-2018, 06:45 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Sounds like a mountain from a mole hill issue. from one of your article...

How difficult is that really?
This thread started as a vitriolic political rant from someone projecting their own world view unto others. Almost all of the violence has stemmed from ...... OPs party members.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:21 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
This thread is full of misinformation and half-truths. People would do well to inform themselves by reading the full first-referenced Snopes article.

Also note the part that says: "However, Secretary of State Jaeger has written to tribal leaders, outlining the process by which anyone without a street address can acquire one and then obtain written confirmation of the new address — either as a means of obtaining a new form of ID, or as supplemental documentation (as allowed under H.B. 1369) to be brought to a polling station on Election Day:"

Knowing the people of North Dakota as well as I do I doubt they would care about people inclined to boycott the state actually doing it. They probably don't want you there. There is still a strong vein of stubborn prairie independence in that bunch.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chops00 View Post
I would advise anybody to be just as suspicious of any political news story or political poll conducted by MSNBC, CNN and NPR as they would be suspicious of any political news story or a political poll conducted by Breitbart, Fox News and Newsmax. One is just as politically biased, ruthless and corrupt as the other. They can very carefully choose the words to their poll questions, or they can survey only certain demographic groups in their survey. There's all kinds of ways a political poll can be manipulated in order to get the results the politician or media organization so desires.

Always consider the source, follow the money and take the poll results with a grain of salt instead of assuming it is factual and not the least-bit mis-leading.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-02-2018 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Facebook Approves Dem Ad Threatening North Dakota Hunters with Loss of License for Voting

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...se-for-voting/

I don't how it's possible. But how low can they go?

Old 11-04-2018, 09:25 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Facebook Approves Dem Ad Threatening North Dakota Hunters with Loss of License for Voting

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...se-for-voting/

I don't how it's possible. But how low can they go?
Oh you can bet youhavent seen the bottom yet.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 AM

357 posts, read 444,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I would advise anybody to be just as suspicious of any political news story or political poll conducted by MSNBC, CNN and NPR as they would be suspicious of any political news story or a political poll conducted by Breitbart, Fox News and Newsmax. One is just as politically biased, ruthless and corrupt as the other. They can very carefully choose the words to their poll questions, or they can survey only certain demographic groups in their survey. There's all kinds of ways a political poll can be manipulated in order to get the results the politician or media organization so desires.

Always consider the source, follow the money and take the poll results with a grain of salt instead of assuming it is factual and not the least-bit mis-leading.
Do you actually listen to NPR? They are about the only news source I know of where you can hear a rational conservative point of view along with other points of view as well. FOX tends to foster the more crazy conservatives without any meaningful counterpoint.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:39 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
Do you actually listen to NPR? They are about the only news source I know of where you can hear a rational conservative point of view along with other points of view as well. FOX tends to foster the more crazy conservatives without any meaningful counterpoint.
Every now and then I'll listen to NPR, and they are much more liberal than they are conservative and I don't for 1 minute believe they are as fair and balanced as Fox News is. Any thinking person would expect NPR to be liberal. They are funded by the feds. Actually I find NPR to be more ultra liberal than FoxNews is ultra conservative.

NPR is as liberal as One America News is conservative. OAN is much more unappologeticly conservative than Fox News ever was. In fact OAN and NPR are about as direct opposites on the American political spectrum as 2 news organizations can possibly be. OAN is in the bag for Trump. OAN always shows Trump in a positive light no matter how bad the news is. When was the last time NPR ran a positive story about Trump? NPR is constant criticism of Donald Trump, no matter what the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: