Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 03:29 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times

Advertisements

It's been bothering me to see no posts on the ND forum for a month, so I thought I'd start an appreciation thread about ND where we can share some stories

The State Historical Society of ND is pretty good, and they maintain several interesting historic sites.

I had heard about the Chateau de Mores for years. It's just up the road from Medora, and should be part of a fun adventure to Medora and TR National Park. When I visited it wasn't at all what I had expected, though. I had expected something more grand, but it's still fascinating to learn about the French aristocrat and his family, friends of Teddy, who built a short term empire in far SW SD and lived in this huge house.

The Gingras Trading Post near Walhalla is really interesting, and that's a pretty part of ND. I always enjoy fur trade period sites, and this one, though much of it is a reconstruction, was excellent. It was such a beautiful day when I was there, too; so peaceful! And some fellow tourists showed off their cool conversion van to me there; I want one!

Fort Totten is big, and pretty impressive. It's fascinating to see how the soldiers lived; I would have loved living there (though not the fighting.) It's on Devil's Lake, and could be part of a fishing/camping adventure.

The International Peace Garden is beautiful, and is in a really pretty part of North America. The nearby Turtle Mountain Reservation was so gorgeous to drive through. This is an area I'm definitely going to visit again, soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 01:17 PM

12 posts, read 19,511 times
Grew up in ND and love to get back to a great state. Actually when we travel to places like Connecticut or Chicago or any of the highly populated area i feel sorry for their residents having to put up with all the people and traffic. Then I think of ND with its sparsely populated towns and its rural life and beautiful scenery and I can't wait to go back just to enjoy the sky and the wide open places. Who needs mountains and beaches? ND has it all!!

Old 12-20-2020, 05:08 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
I live here and right now hunkering down. Hauled in a load of firewood ready for the Polar air that will be coming in on Wednesday. I’ve never been to the Peace Park yet, it’s a couple hours drive for me. That’s one thing about this state, everything is an hours drive or more to get anywhere. Unless you live in one of the 4 “big” cities of ND. Right now, this time of year, the snowbirds are gone from the countryside, so even less traffic these days than the normal, hardly any traffic, out here.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:25 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
North Dakota has given me a college Hockey team to root for....

And a College football team to root against (only because they win all the time).

Old 12-23-2020, 07:52 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
I had a wonderful time in ND when I was stationed in the military up there. Many great things to do, and I did a lot. These were my favorite:

Fishing at Lake Sakakawea, caught some walleye.
Canoeing at Salyer Wildlife Refuge, seen a moose, only time I’ve ever seen one.
International Peace Garden, had a great time walking around there and taking pictures in the summer time.
Completed the CANDISC, it was a 7 day biking/camping trip about 400 miles total. I’m not sure they still have this event?
Teddy Roosevelt Park, did a lot of hiking, got tired, then drove around looking at the scenic areas.

The only negative was the winter weather, never got used to it. Plus I had to work outside a lot on the flight line, so that made it worse, lol!

Old 12-25-2020, 08:02 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
It's been bothering me to see no posts on the ND forum for a month, so I thought I'd start an appreciation thread about ND where we can share some stories

The State Historical Society of ND is pretty good, and they maintain several interesting historic sites.

I had heard about the Chateau de Mores for years. It's just up the road from Medora, and should be part of a fun adventure to Medora and TR National Park. When I visited it wasn't at all what I had expected, though. I had expected something more grand, but it's still fascinating to learn about the French aristocrat and his family, friends of Teddy, who built a short term empire in far SW SD and lived in this huge house.

The Gingras Trading Post near Walhalla is really interesting, and that's a pretty part of ND. I always enjoy fur trade period sites, and this one, though much of it is a reconstruction, was excellent. It was such a beautiful day when I was there, too; so peaceful! And some fellow tourists showed off their cool conversion van to me there; I want one!

Fort Totten is big, and pretty impressive. It's fascinating to see how the soldiers lived; I would have loved living there (though not the fighting.) It's on Devil's Lake, and could be part of a fishing/camping adventure.

The International Peace Garden is beautiful, and is in a really pretty part of North America. The nearby Turtle Mountain Reservation was so gorgeous to drive through. This is an area I'm definitely going to visit again, soon.
Does anyone visit the Badlands as a tourist?

Old 12-25-2020, 09:47 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Does anyone visit the Badlands as a tourist?
Been there, done that.

I'd like to return someday, having only seen the southern unit - I'd like to visit the northern one.

Driving from Minnesota, western North Dakota is where the land first starts looking like one is in 'the West'. The topography gets a little rugged, buttes appear, and the green turns more brown as the area is more arid than pretty much everywhere east of it.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:35 PM

327 posts, read 211,146 times
As of my post this state was the last state to get any post this new year and it’s already 4 days in so I’m bringing ND into 2021.

It amazes me how little many people care about this state. The most attention it got was during the recent oil boom. Amazing how people from so called bigger and “better states” ...NY, CA, CO, TX etc cough cough cared so much that businesses and even individuals bought out apartments complexes and rental properties because they saw the state as a gold mine. Ended up jacking up rental rates up to 5X the original rent forcing many long term and permanent residents out. Now look at it people and most of the oil pulled out and it’s back to pre oil boom. For shame.

To those currently living there owning land, apartment complexes remember what I said. Remember what happened out there. If and when the oil boom returns not only will you be better off and capable of handling the influx of people (thank you highway 85 expansion) but don’t bow down to out of state idiots who want to buy you out or invest in you. Hold your ground and demand the largest sum of money if you choose to sell. Don’t let them F up the livelihoods of those who currently live out there or the ones who moved back when rent prices dropped.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
I am happy to see actlvity here. My parents were both from farm families in the southeast part of North Dakota. As a child I went to a family reunion and I was probably related to most of the town. That little farm town is almost abandoned now.

I have made 2 trips in the past 5 years. The first was to discover my roots. I found the old family farm and the man who now owns that land got me together with a cousin I knew of but never met.

The second trip was to cover all the rest of the state. The northeastern part of the state is especially pretty. The badlands aren't as dramatic as those in South Dakota, but still beautiful. I watched a herd of bison for an hour.

With all the old-style grain elevators, abandoned churches, schools and houses, there are a lot of photo opportunities, though it's sad to.see that lifestyle and history disappearing.

The lack of traffic, wide-open spaces and multiple sideroads are relaxing and quiet.

I'm glad I went, but I'm a weather wimp, I couldn't handle those ND winters my parents talked about.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:48 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Unless you live in one of the 4 “big” cities of ND.
Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks, and . . . what? Minot?

This past summer, I took a road trip through both Dakotas. In terms of natural scenery, I'd have to give the edge to the southern one. But I actually "liked" North Dakota better. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just found this state to be the more appealing of the two. If I were to move to the Dakotas (which I would consider, were it not for the winter weather), Fargo would almost certainly be my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota