Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times

Advertisements

Nope, I'm not advertising here but am wondering where I should be advertising my retail business? I've placed ads in many developments, the Our Town, and on Adam's Cable advertising Channel. What did I miss? Does Blue Ridge Cable have a similar channel to Adams?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Internet, facebook, eblogger and such will help generate traffic to and from your website. If you don't have a website, GET ONE.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:06 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
Facebook is a great start, it's free to have a page for your business. You can advertise on Blue Ridge Cable, yes..

You can blog about your business, such as google blogger.

My website is from Homestead, it's very inexpensive and easy to use.

How about local magazines like This Week in The Poconos, Pocono Insider, The 570.com, ect.

At your local grocery store in the lobby, there is usually a newstand with free papers and magazines for different things, they are great avenues for advertising.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM

177 posts, read 467,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
Nope, I'm not advertising here but am wondering where I should be advertising my retail business? I've placed ads in many developments, the Our Town, and on Adam's Cable advertising Channel. What did I miss? Does Blue Ridge Cable have a similar channel to Adams?
TIA
First of all, before you go advertising all over the place without a marketing plan, exactly what is your business?

What is the name?
Where are you located?
What do you sell?
What is your target audience? (Probably the most important question.)

You can place ads all over the place and where others in this thread have suggested, but if you aren't hitting your target audience, you are wasting your time. Free, cheap and random advertising does not mean you are hitting your target audience.

You need to step back and develop a marketing plan BEFORE you advertise....unless you like putting the cart before the horse.

Jim

Old 07-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Advertising gets very expensive very quick, even if you have a very developed marketing plan... hitting your target market is important, but getting the name of your business on the lips and minds of anyone is terribly difficult, that is why I feel social networking for business is so important, ie Facebook, Twitter, Hub Pages...I am up to 132 fans in just a few short months, 132 more people I was otherwise not reaching even with my advertising campaigns in trade mags specific to my industry. Even the biggest of businesses know the importance of having a Facebook page for their business. With my FB page, it's the everyday folks who are seeing my posts and content and links...but with Twitter, my 194 followers are actually a different breed, as most of my followers there are others within my industry that now know who we are. I can't tell you how exciting it was when (we build houses) The National Associaton of Home Builders started following us!

It isn't a waste of time to consider this type of free advertising, in fact it is pretty smart to consider... it literally only takes me 10 minutes a day to post some kind of info on my page... and in doing so, i am keeping my business on the minds of 132 (for now) people daily.

If you have a retail store that is brick and mortar, find a billboard nearby that can be used as directional advertising...

Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Good sources of local advertising also includes diner placemats and grocery receipts...

Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM

539 posts, read 1,069,071 times
Having moved to W-B and the neighbors seeing that I'm handy fixing stuff up on our own house, and being that there are a lot of elderly people in the neighborhood, I've already gotten a few requests to do something at some point. Though it may not pay the mortgage, it's a good start. I could probably put a little sign on our front porch too, as jobs don't seem to come to easily around here.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:23 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
Thanks for the input! I've gotten on facebook, of course I have a website, have an our town ad, and am on adams cable. just was making sure I covered all bases

Old 07-24-2010, 06:33 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
We are passing it on word of mouth Pocono and all the best to you!! You will do well. We will get the word out.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,903 times
Are we friends on Facebook? LOL...I don't know! I have a hard time figuring out people's names / c-d names. I think we are - something to do with yarn? I know I liked a fan page about yarn recently - is that you? and if so, send me a dm with your facebook name so I can get straightened out again. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania