Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

As per this PDF file:
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/635926/dci-2_pdf
You not allowed to bring in five cartons of cigarettes without a tax stamp. The fine for five cartons could be $1,000 to $15,000 and up to three years in jail. If you read the file you will also see that our state can take your vehicle for ten or more cartons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
That's some tough law there Fisheye..

I guess I will have to double seal them Indian smokes in zip lock bags and put them in the bottom of my fish cooler...

I never knew the Seneca Indians were terrorists or criminals, according to the pdf I am supporting their cause...

I'm also a criminal for not reporting and paying the use tax on personal items I buy from internet vendors that do not charge Pa Sales Tax. I wonder how many folks follow the letter of the law on that one?

I know you are just the messenger and were kind enough to post that pdf. But I'll tell you what -
if the Pa. govt decides not to spend $10million on an Arlen Spector Memorial Library, I will reconsider my evil ways...

Old 10-20-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
That's some tough law there Fisheye..

I guess I will have to double seal them Indian smokes in zip lock bags and put them in the bottom of my fish cooler...

I never knew the Seneca Indians were terrorists or criminals, according to the pdf I am supporting their cause...

I'm also a criminal for not reporting and paying the use tax on personal items I buy from internet vendors that do not charge Pa Sales Tax. I wonder how many folks follow the letter of the law on that one?

I know you are just the messenger and were kind enough to post that pdf. But I'll tell you what -
if the Pa. govt decides not to spend $10million on an Arlen Spector Memorial Library, I will reconsider my evil ways...
varmintblaster,

I am not preaching to you or anybody else. Ignorance of our laws is not a good self defense. Sometimes things go wrong when you are on the road. It is better to know what you are doing wrong and the penalties.
The only reason that I looked it up is because I was told, a decade ago, not to bring back more than two cartons. I did not know the law then - I just went by hearsay.

Since I looked it up; I guess you would still be legal if you quickly smoked one cigarette out of the fifth carton?

I am glad that I gave up smoking and do not have to worry about today’s prices/taxes. Thinking about all the taxes, that I paid, forced me to give it up. That was about 12 years ago.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 AM

varmintblaster,

I also just hit on one of the cigarette ads that popped up on this forum. Apparently they are advertising tax free and six carton quantities. I have a feeling that this would also push the law the way it reads.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
As per this PDF file:
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/635926/dci-2_pdf
You not allowed to bring in five cartons of cigarettes without a tax stamp. The fine for five cartons could be $1,000 to $15,000 and up to three years in jail. If you read the file you will also see that our state can take your vehicle for ten or more cartons.
This wouldn't apply to NJ residents passing through PA on the way back from NY, correct? I wonder what the NJ law is. Probably 20 years in jail. I will have to Google it.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
This wouldn't apply to NJ residents passing through PA on the way back from NY, correct? I wonder what the NJ law is. Probably 20 years in jail. I will have to Google it.
Calico696,

States do not like to loose money. You can say that they are pretty greedy. I would not assume anything. Years ago we did not have powerful search engines like Google. Today it is not hard to double check anything. I would rather be safe than sorry. You are familiar with Murphy’s Law.

I am just a retired truck driver/worker. I have no background or relatives in law enforcement. I don’t like to see anybody penalized because they did not know the law.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Thought I'd start a new thread regarding this, as a tangent off the W-B Parks smoking ban thread... Hope the subject matter is ok for this forum, and I'm sure it still concerns some folks. I bought 6 months worth last spring in S. Carolina for about $23 a carton before moving here, and had them stashed in the moving truck. (I'm sure the price has gone up since, and these were cheap Seneca-level smokes). Now that I'm down to my last few cartons, the question comes up as to where to get more.
I see that in all the stores here, the cheapest are over $40 a carton. Then there was this quote from Riverside:

I never heard of that before, has anyone gone that route, and are they decent for $25 a carton? What's the name of the place, and are there any closer to W-B?

My cousin lives near Binghamton, and they are over $80 up there. I haven't spoken to him lately, but he said he got his by mail order (Senecas) from the reservation, but I'm not sure if NY State has cracked down on that since. According to the website of one of the outlets in Salamanca, they still do ship to PA by private courier, and looking at PA laws they do not impose an additional tax to the recipient. I wonder what the shipping would be?
Anyway, can people drive up there and pay cash? I believe they are still in the under $25 range. And what would be the closest place to NEPA, if not Salamanca perhaps the reservation at Nedrow (S. of Syracuse?). Just wondering, thanks.
If all else fails I may have to go down south again, as I have to do some work on our house in NC (which still hasn't sold) before the real cold weather kicks in.
I ain't too smart and i ain't too edjumicated but i am smart enough NOT to smoke.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
I ain't too smart and i ain't too edjumicated but i am smart enough NOT to smoke.
Next...

Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post

So what are you saying , people who smoke are what ?

Go ahead spit it out .. Lets hear it ..

But 1st what vise's do you have ?

chocolate ? donuts ,

Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
So what are you saying , people who smoke are what ?

Go ahead spit it out .. Lets hear it ..

But 1st what vise's do you have ?

chocolate ? donuts ,
Its a fact that overall, smokers are less educated than nonsmokers. That doesn't mean that all smokers are uneducated yahoos, but almost all uneducated yahoos are smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania