Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times

Advertisements

considering looking for a home in this area..........?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
David Webb Is in that neck of the woods ..

I have no problem with that area .. There are some quiet old farms back in there..

Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Great area to live...been here since Nov. 2007 and couldn't be happier...been coming to NEPA since '96...I live right off Meixell Valley R. close to Weir Lake Rd. The area is very nice and the Pleasant Valley school district is highly rated...close to Rt. 209 for shopping/amenities and also close to Tannersville/Rt. 611 area if you need to go shopping down there...that's one of the perks of living out here in Saylorsburg is that your away from the madness of the Rt. 611 crowd, especially during the holidays, but close still if you need to go to Lowes, Home Depot, the Stroud Mall, etc., There are some properties for sale in the area that have been on the market for quite some time so if you look around you should be able to get a good deal...I will warn you, though, there is one property for sale on Blue Ridge Rd. that on the real estate company's website says that it's a "Builder's special" or something to that effect but don't let them fool if you check it out...that house has been vacant probably longer than I've been living out here and it's not finished inside...they claim that you still have the option of picking the finishing touches and what not...but that would apply to a home that is currently under construction...not one that's been on the market for 3+ years...and the price they're asking ($275K) is way too much for the place...if you take a drive down Blue Ridge Rd. you'll see it cuz it's the only that's vacant...great location and good size lot, I think it's a little over 2 acres, but just over-priced...there's quite a few of us that live in the area so you should get some good feedback from them as well when they see your post...you can also search the NEPA board for info on Brodheadsville which is on Rt. 209 and close to us also for info on Saylorsburg...good luck and let us know what other questions you may have either here or by Direct Message...

Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I agree with DavidWebb and feel the same about the area..........

Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM

I was hoping you'd notice this and chime in...thanks Summering!!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 34,205 times
I grew up in the area, and left to escape the ever-increasing taxes and all you darn transplants.

Actually, I always really liked the Saylorsburg area. It is a bit more crowded than when I grew up there, and the taxes in both Pleasant Valley and Stroudsburg school districts are out of control, in my opinion ("Saylorsburg" actually covers a region in several different municipalities, and has homes in both districts).

I'd say my only other problem with the area is the lack of police presence, which is a consideration for me. Hamilton Township, for instance, has almost 10k residents, but relies on the overworked, understaffed, and often unresponsive State Police to provide police service to the area. But that's another thread all together....

Other than that, it's a great area. It's a bit out of town, so to speak, but still in close proximity to Stroudsburg and the Lehigh Valley. If I were going to move back to Monroe County, the Saylorsburg area would be at the top of my list.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM

the taxes in both Pleasant Valley and Stroudsburg school districts are out of control, in my opinion = compared to NJ the taxes in this area are nothing...mine are only approx. $1500/year...if that's too much for you then you probably need a better paying job or change of career...

Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Well, taxes do vary mine are very high ( but not as high as NJ for sure) about 5,000......
But we are on two acres w/ 1750 above ground and 1750 below.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Guess I'm lucky then!!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM

11 posts, read 34,205 times
You must be quite lucky, or own a small home on a small piece of land. Either way, I think you may be in the minority with such a low tax burden.

Sure, compared to NY/NJ, taxes may be relatively inexpensive. Compared to other areas with the same standard of living, taxes throughout the area are expensive. I guess it's a matter of our individual perception.

While I appreciate your concern over my financial well-being, I would still think that the average tax burden in the area is out of control regardless of how much I made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania