Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 58,299 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what is so bad about relocating to Monroe County (i.e., Stroudsburg, East Stroudsburg, etc.)?

Everyone keeps telling me to stay away from that area that the towns are overrated, there are "issues", the schools are bad yet they get great reviews online. So what exactly is the deal?

I would appreciate specifics.

My commute to NYC would be more feasible from Monroe County than Pike County (Milford Area).

PLEASE FILL ME IN ON THE SECRET!

Many thanks,

Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 09:42 AM

70 posts, read 85,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Diamond View Post
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what is so bad about relocating to Monroe County (i.e., Stroudsburg, East Stroudsburg, etc.)?

Everyone keeps telling me to stay away from that area that the towns are overrated, there are "issues", the schools are bad yet they get great reviews online. So what exactly is the deal?

My commute to NYC would be more feasible from Monroe County than Pike County (Milford Area).

Many thanks,

Annie

I don't know the area, but remember this.

Opinions are relative. A lot of those "great reviews" come from area natives justifying their choice of location. What is absolutely wonderful to some of these people is substandard to others. I take that stuff with a grain of salt.

There is no substitute for coming down and checking out the area for yourself. Go to the schools, talk to the teachers. Call the providers for ASD services in the area and interview them yourself. Don't be afraid to ask TOUGH questions. I spoke with the head of special education in the school district we would like to move to on LI. She stammered a bit with some of my questions, but we both agreed you only get one chance at bringing up a child. There is no rewind button. So while some of my questions made her squirm in her chair, I know she has some level of respect for a parent taking things that seriously. After all, you're paying for it in your taxes, so you have a right to know what you're paying for.

Best of luck in your search. I'll warn you one last time though, keep your kids in Long Island at all costs. You will eventually want to move back, but your kids having the roots that they will establish, and the daunting increase in cost to move back will keep you a prisoner in PA. Its as simple as the old saying goes...

"you get what you pay for".

Old 08-29-2008, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 9,492 times
Default East Strouds. resident

It is NOT true - you get what you pay for. The homes here are VERY comparable to NJ in status and class and the like. I lived in NJ my entire life, and over here in E. Stroudsburg it is very similiar to neighborhoods in Secaucus, NJ and nicer than Jersey City and Bayonne. Now if you are in a development - many people do not like the commute TO the development OFF OF the exit - which can tack on another 1/2 hour or 45 mins. off of the exit - you are talking lots of gas / and horrible commutes in the evening coming back from NJ or Manhattan when the WEATHER GETS rough - some of the roads into the developments are very winding and slippery - and are not very lit up at night. If you are living in the borough of E. Stroudsb. - it is just like NJ - normal city streetlights - normal blocks and they are paved normal with no winding dangerous drives into a development. The developments all have good reputations up here - I have lived in E. Strouds for 6 years. WHAT YOU ARE hearing are the rumours - about the Poconos / Mt. Pocono and Tobyhanna have the absolute worse reputations ... but they are at least 1/2 hr. from here - and all have different schools. You would want to stay out of THAT school district. But the schools here are GREAT, and what a value. The bus system is great - and the before school and after school programs are great. You just realize that commuting from / to Manhattan is still a huge hike from here every day / and your kids will be many many hours without their parents. I was commuting to NJ and I stopped doing it - like many many other people from here. There is a great corporate giant out here Aventis Pharmaceuticals that pays very very well - if you can get a job - they are a huge plant on rte. 611 in Swiftwater - and offer the higher paying corporate jobs - Manpower staffing is the one who staffs them. Johnson & Johnson opened up a plant in Tobyhanna as well, and if you deduct all the commuting costs and extra time away from the kids / you might find that a corporate job here vs. commuting is the wisest. But E. Strouds. has a wonderful reputation / don't listen to people from LongIsland who don't know their butt from their elbow. You just need to avoid Mt. Pocono and Tobyhanna and you will be fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Diamond View Post
Hi,

Many thanks,

Annie

Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Just take a little peak on the thread about the shooting at Walmart and Stroudsberg. You have to do your homework.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,492 times
Default Shooting by Walmart?

Hel-lo? Any given place you live - in any county - in any township = now and then has an occasional happening - that is why they call it "news". An eventful thing that would take place is "news". Yes, it is - news that that happened at a Walmart - that doesn't mean it ALWAYS happens. In fact - we were all shocked when we heard of it on the "news" as a "story". Try locations in New Jersey?? I am talking in the best of neighborhoods - there is always one singled out a event that "makes the news" from a hood who TARGETS our area. Do not be discouraged. In fact - I would gladly meet with you and show you the area - as obviously people who think East Stroudsburg is EVEN comparable - needs to get a reality check and discover the definite differences / good areas of the county which E. Strouds. is / and the bad areas - as I mentioned previously (which are really not all entirely "bad"). I guess that last poster thinks we all live in a garden of eden paradise - and I would challenge to find all of the police incidents that made the news in her own county over the past 10 years versus ours. I bet you we would beat her hands down. But of course - someone needs to really do their homework here.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Do your homework and if you do you will find the truth and make all the right moves. Like I said, check out the threads, come up and talk to people..............

Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 AM

38 posts, read 136,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janaTaide View Post
Hel-lo? Any given place you live - in any county - in any township = now and then has an occasional happening - that is why they call it "news". An eventful thing that would take place is "news". Yes, it is - news that that happened at a Walmart - that doesn't mean it ALWAYS happens. In fact - we were all shocked when we heard of it on the "news" as a "story". Try locations in New Jersey?? I am talking in the best of neighborhoods - there is always one singled out a event that "makes the news" from a hood who TARGETS our area. Do not be discouraged. In fact - I would gladly meet with you and show you the area - as obviously people who think East Stroudsburg is EVEN comparable - needs to get a reality check and discover the definite differences / good areas of the county which E. Strouds. is / and the bad areas - as I mentioned previously (which are really not all entirely "bad"). I guess that last poster thinks we all live in a garden of eden paradise - and I would challenge to find all of the police incidents that made the news in her own county over the past 10 years versus ours. I bet you we would beat her hands down. But of course - someone needs to really do their homework here.
Great Posts, I agree 100% !!!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,387 times
check out the area, both during the day and evenings. also search the pocono record for crimes. mostly be aware that the local cops are probably the biggest problem, if you need one that is. There is a lot of crime in East Stroudsburg and the cops seem to ignore it. If you know any of the cops the the department they you appear to get a free pass. also the da's office is corrupt. I'd stay out of Monroe County. not that jersey is any better. But East Stroudsburg has a lot of homicides that seem to be overlooked by the cops and DA. used to be nice but when the cops go bad it's not so nice.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:07 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Annie Diamond,

I have lived in Monroe County for 65 years. I have lived in Swiftwater (not in a development) with my wife for the last 35 years. To the best of my knowledge; I have never had anything stolen.

However; I would look to the south of Monroe if you are going to commute to NYC. Do the Google Earth program or the MSNBC/bing maps. The shortest distance between two points is not a circle. If you want to live in PA and want the shortest commute; you would probably be better off in the Portland or Mount Bethel area. You have the Portland Bridge and you would jump on I 80 at the Columbia NJ exchange.

Ask others about the commute and what they think of my recommendation. Try renting in the area and see if this is the life you have in mind. The longer you spend on the road; the less time you have for your family. There are no plans to make this commute better in the foreseeable future.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
The OP was thinking about moving to Monroe County in 2006. That's five years ago. I'm betting that she has since moved there or given up the thought of moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania