Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 8,821 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are looking to move to PA. Mostly likely to Monroe County, were thinking about East Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg or Tobyhanna. I need help. Which one is the better area and has the better school system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 PM

62 posts, read 330,042 times
We are currently looking as well to relocate to Monroe County as well. I have been doing some reseach online and trying to figure out the best SD's for our children...good luck. Hopefully we can find out good information....

Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
May I first ask the both of you as to whether or not you'll need to commute into NYC on a daily basis for work? If not, then I'd actually recommend that you both cross over the Monroe County line and consider relocating to either Southern Lackawanna County (North Pocono School District) or to Pike County (Delaware Valley and Wallenpaupack School Districts). All three of these districts have received high marks no matter what online forum I venture onto, and all three are located just to the north and west of Monroe County. If you need to head into the Big Apple everyday, then you'll have to settle for Monroe County, but be advised that the problems in much of the county via traffic congestion on some of the roadways (I-80, Route 209, Route 611, Route 33), the crime (the Bloods and Crips each have a presence in Monroe County now), and the overcrowding in schools are all negatives. As of the 2005 Census projections, Monroe County has actually gained around 21,000 new residents in just the past five years alone, or about an increase of 4,200 new residents per year, bringing the county total to 159,175. At this rate, it won't take long for Monroe County to actually become more populous than Lackawanna County (Scranton Area), which currently has a declining population of 200,000.

If you are still eager to hear more about Monroe County, then I'd be more than happy to assist you both with your inquiries. However, also consider Pike County and/or the North Pocono School District (Moscow Area) of Lackawanna County if daily commuting to NYC isn't an issue, as both of these areas, in my opinion, are better places to raise a family as Monroe County continues to "fill up."

Old 02-13-2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks so much for the input. My husband is looking to commute to NYC. But he is willing to check out other area's than Monroe county as well..we are just looking a a map and trying to figure out travel times to NYC, easiest routes, etc...and then we are looking online at towns, school districts etc to try to get a feel for things. I want to get "away" from the gangs, and over crowding - if that was the case, then I would not leave Long Island and would just stay here. We are over populated to the max here! I am not looking for a rural area, but a good mix, which will still enable my husband to travel to NYC. Any other information you have would be greatly appreciated....thanks.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 8,821 times
My will be traveling to nyc as well, so monore county is looking to be shortest travel distance. Is the school system in monroe county in east stroudsburg good.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:46 PM

Go to greatschools.net and you can get a ton of school reports from each county from Elementary all the way through high school, including private schools. Even some of the parents put comments and rate the teachers, etc....I have found some useful information.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 PM

65 posts, read 318,975 times
I Moved For Long Island 10 Years Ago To East Stroudsbug , Monroe But The Schools Is Stroudsburg - Great Schools - 2 New Building. We Are 1 Hr And 10 Min From The Gwb And My Husband Work Is Stanhope Nj 40 Min Away. This Is A Great Area And Most People That Work In The City Live Here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania