Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,118 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a home in PA, possibly in the Poconos area. Are there any areas that I should stay away from (in terms of safety and what not). I have 2 children, 1 of which will reside with us and be attending school in 3 yrs. (The other lives with his mom and will continue to attend school in Jersey). So a good school system is important to us. I'd also like to be within a half hour of shopping/entertainment. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,013 times
Stay in NJ .. You'll be better off ..

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Where will you or your husband work? If your family is independently wealthy, I would suggest staying away from those Pocono communities.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
I am not originally from PA. We were from Long Island. We began our search in the Poconos. since we had vacationed there before, enjoyed vacationing there. We did not end up purchasing there however.

There are some nice areas of the Poconos, and if you want to move to PA you should! The first place people tend to look are the Poconos, and usually because the are already familiar with them.
Pocono North is a well regarded district.

I have never regretted leaving NY for PA. we have made many friends, our children are happy, and we are never far from nature.I did not hate Stony Brook before moving, we just thought that the taxes had gotten way out of hand. as has the general cost of living.
We don't feel captive to "The House" anymore.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
You will be hard pressed to find an area that is as nice as Hackettstown in PA.

If you don't have to move then I wouldn't.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
You will be hard pressed to find an area that is as nice as Hackettstown in PA.

If you don't have to move then I wouldn't.
Are you kidding? There are plenty of nice towns in PA. Sure, PA has some holes in the ground, but then again, so does Jersey.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
If I was looking to move to the area of the Poconos, I think my search would center on Honesdale, Jim Thorpe, and Milford.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,207 times
North Pocono is nice, decent schools. It's close to 380, so you can hop on the highway quick. Just stay away from Scranton and Stroudsburg.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,118 times
Thanks everyone for the input Yikes, I've got family in Scranton, Bethlehem, and Stroudsburg but I've never visited. We won't need to travel for work. We run our own business so most of the work will be done from home. I still have to travel to Jersey to see my parents every other week (East Orange) so I don't want the drive to be too crazy.

@WeLuvPa, when was the last time u visited Hackettstown? It's not that great, IMO. It's nice but I'm sure (i hope) I can find some place comparable in Pa, even if it's not in the Pocono area.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
BogoJazzy,

Depending on which relatives you visit the most; I think you should look at Pike and Wayne Counties or maybe Northampton County.

Northampton County will normally give you milder winters. Northampton is close to Bethlehem or Stroudsburg. Fuel was traditionally cheaper when you left Monroe County. Take a look around Portland and Mount Bethel. That would also not be too bad a commute if you wanted to visit the Hackettstown area.

I have heard others praise the Lake Wallenpaupack school district. I forget if that is in Wayne or Pike County? That area also has a lot of recreational use if you are into winter or summer sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania