Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

30 posts, read 49,740 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? Within in two months.
Where are you coming from? California
Why are you moving? Because I dislike it over here and I want to get back to the east coast.
Where will you be working? Walmart
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I am looking for a very cheap place. I will be content with a small studio apartment with my own kitchen and bathroom.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Doesn't matter.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single.
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? I have one ferret.
Do you want or need a yard? I would like a yard but it doesn't matter.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? In between.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I would like to live near other members of the LGBT community but diversity is fine with me. I am not that social so it doesn't really matter, I guess.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets?
Don't like sports. *ducks for cover*

I just talked to the Walmart I currently work at and I have 30 days to find a new place once I find out. I am going to look up store information tonight at work but if you can think off hand of a BIG Supercenter walmart for me to work at, please let me know. So far, Dickson City seems pretty small as well as the Taylor store, but that is from the satellite view of Google Maps. I'll get more precise information tonight. I am in dire need to get the freak out of here. My first pitstop is in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM

234 posts, read 939,906 times
I think I have a possibility for you.

I don't know how many square feet it is, but there is a WalMart SuperCenter (store #2064) at #220 Route 6/209 in Milford, PA. It feels pretty big to me, but I came from an area that had no WalMarts, so you can't judge it by my experiences.

Walmart.com - Store Detail

Milford is a very small town that is both diverse and gay-friendly. Very civilized. Low crime rate. Highly desirable, in my opinion. There are some really nice restaurants, art galleries and antique shops.

And, while Milford is a small town, it is close enough to larger population centers that you won't feel isolated.

I really think that you should give this a try!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpiwanttomove View Post
When are you moving? Within in two months.
Where are you coming from? California
Why are you moving? Because I dislike it over here and I want to get back to the east coast.
Where will you be working? Walmart
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I am looking for a very cheap place. I will be content with a small studio apartment with my own kitchen and bathroom.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Doesn't matter.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single.
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? I have one ferret.
Do you want or need a yard? I would like a yard but it doesn't matter.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? In between.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I would like to live near other members of the LGBT community but diversity is fine with me. I am not that social so it doesn't really matter, I guess.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets?
Don't like sports. *ducks for cover*

I just talked to the Walmart I currently work at and I have 30 days to find a new place once I find out. I am going to look up store information tonight at work but if you can think off hand of a BIG Supercenter walmart for me to work at, please let me know. So far, Dickson City seems pretty small as well as the Taylor store, but that is from the satellite view of Google Maps. I'll get more precise information tonight. I am in dire need to get the freak out of here. My first pitstop is in NY.
check out honesdale pa. it's right on the northeast border of pa and ny and it's a supercenter. goodluck.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM

238 posts, read 365,111 times
Walmart #1623 in Wilkes Barre (about 30 mins from Scranton) is very big, I used to work there. Wilkes-Barre also has a fairly low cost of living, though some areas are not the best.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Note to "helpiwanttomove:" There are no train or subway stations in NEPA. The last passenger train went through W-B in 1959 and through Scranton in 1969.

I'd check out the suburbs of Boston, MA including New Hampshire. That's where you'll find subways, trains, studio apartments and a lively LGBT scene.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM

I just moved from MA to CA.. I am not interested in going back. :-)

Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM

234 posts, read 939,906 times
I forgot about the train station part of the OP's question.

There are no train stations in Northeast Pennsylvania ............... period!

You will have to buy a car if you want to live here. I don't see any way around that.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM

I will hopefully have a truck.

I am going to explore the areas suggested but I am really looking to moving in Scranton. Here are more details about me.

I'm a 26 year old lesbian who doesn't party, drink excessively, do drugs, etc., etc. I am looking for a semi-city, semi-country area that is very affordable. I am just looking to go to work and go home and if I want to go on trips, I'll do that on weekends.. What's the best place IN Scranton?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
There many nice areas in Scranton. Downtown has a lot of new apartments the new builds are cool, sleek and trendy but pricey. There are plenty of rentals in West Side and south side, but south side has a bad reputation and according to the buzz...West side is not what it use to be. ( I only moved here in 07 so I have no frame of reference). I have lived in North Scranton since I moved here and we bought our house a few blocks from where we rented. N. Scranton is generally quiet and we have never had any problems (other than personailty clashes ) Which may or may not have to do with me being a big bad drug dealing NY'er. Lol, people from my neck of the woods are generalized as coming here to either commit crime or get welfare!

East mt is a nice area as well as Greenridge. The hill section gets mixed reviews but the Hollywood section which I believe straddles the Scranton/Dumore line has always been spoken of well. Dickson city (DC)has a walmart too and I never really have heard anything bad about DC. I would check local realty compaines as they always have a list of rentals. I would offer some local company names but I do not think that is allowed.

Best of luck to you

Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM

I think I'm leaning towards Dickson City. Hmm..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania