Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 51,261 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good but inexpensive local moving company that would be able to move 1 room worth of furniture and boxes from a place in Wilkes-Barre to a place in Scranton? I know I can do it myself with a U-Haul truck, but frankly I'm a little nervous about driving the truck as I've heard they can be difficult to handle, and I would definitely appreciate the help carrying stuff up stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,093,162 times
u haul on wyoming ave,kingston has the cards of a company run by a guy named jeff--i think it's called best darn movers---they were fantastic--used them last year and they did better than the national company affiliate i used to move up here---they are honest and reliable--a rare trait up here-----

Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 PM

11 posts, read 51,261 times
I found a website for those 'best darn movers', and tried calling. I got in touch with someone named Joel who confirmed it was the BDM, however he said he was going into a tunnel and would call me back in a minute. That was a day and a half ago, and I still haven't heard back.

Any other suggestions?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:24 AM

he was probably going out of town--it did take him 2 days to get back to me but was well worth the wait----i used cawley brothers years ago and they were reasonable---avoid cadden bros lots and lots of problems there

btw his name was joel--it's his company--i'm just getting worse with names as i get older-sigh

Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 PM

129 posts, read 425,559 times
Joel from Best Darn Movers was a nice guy to me. Mostly just two guys who carry things, not a moving company. I rented a uhaul, and I am pretty sure that you have to rent something for them. I think he would drive the truck if I wanted (not sure because truck was under my name and I didn't want someone else driving it).
I booked with him weeks in advance and that was a few years ago. I do think I tried to confirm with him and his return call was not at all prompt. Had me concerned, but he showed up exactly when promised on the day of the move. Both guys were pretty careful with my stuff. I move lamps and valuable breakables myself because no mover has ever been as careful with my stuff as I am. But they didn't break anything I had.
Super cheap movers I would recommend. BUT I didn't use them for packing. We packed ourselves. Even if they pack, you would probably have to provide the boxes and such.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 AM

they WERE the most careful of any company----one of the local aforementioned companies broke my things and i could go on but anything else i say about them would be true but defamatory(not cawley bros--they were pros)

Last edited by auntieannie68; 11-26-2010 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,563,030 times
Do not use Mike Hinkley storage - Allied which comes out of Wilkes Barre. When they move us, they stole a lap top and many items were broken.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,133 times
Cadden Brothers moved me from Scanton to WB and it cost me a whopping 600 bucks when all was said and done. It was only supposed to be around 550 but then they charge you the extra $$$ to drive back to scranton so it wound up being around 600. Professional? Whatever= they are standard blue collar moving guys so - whatever. They broke a vase (I should have kept breakables with me not with them though) and tracked mud from their boots onto my new carpeting (easily vacuumed up) but they were ok other than that. Three guys moved it all in less than 4 hours- and I moved a lot of heavy furniture from a second story apartment.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonootem View Post
Cadden Brothers moved me from Scanton to WB and it cost me a whopping 600 bucks when all was said and done. It was only supposed to be around 550 but then they charge you the extra $$$ to drive back to scranton so it wound up being around 600. Professional? Whatever= they are standard blue collar moving guys so - whatever. They broke a vase (I should have kept breakables with me not with them though) and tracked mud from their boots onto my new carpeting (easily vacuumed up) but they were ok other than that. Three guys moved it all in less than 4 hours- and I moved a lot of heavy furniture from a second story apartment.

apparently they treat locals and guys differently--they were far from okay with us--i could say more but i hope they enjoy their booty(and i DO NOT mean the slang term--i was charged 2x that for less hours and they left behind the heavy stuff--complaining that they could not move it--refused to take my office furniture upstairs(desk was too heavy/bulky--i could go on but anything else is defamatory

Old 12-25-2010, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 10,133 times
Oh dear. Yeah- I could see where you are going with that. Well- not for nothing but we kind of buttered them up with bottles of gatorade, subway hoagies, chips and coffee too. :\ and we tipped them for carrying the heavy stuff. I know. It sucks- but is sometimes necessary. We just wanted it done. Not looking forward to our nextmove in two years!!! Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania