Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 AM

31 posts, read 35,118 times

Advertisements

Alright...we've tried many, many, many pizza places near us but I can't say I've found the right place yet.

I like a New York style, round pizza.

I've tried:
Sizzle Pi - it's okay, tasty sauce but it's puffy, square pizza (not a fan); I recently heard they fry the crust which explains why it was a strange texture
Pizza Mill - closest to the kind of pizza I like and just as soon as I found them, they closed
Tommy's - last two times I ordered a plain cheese, the center was soggy
AmberDonia - love the wood fired pizza (just like a place I grew up with!) but it's pricey
Domino's - it's cheap and they deliver but...it's Domino's so fills a need in a pinch
Antonio's Pizza Deluxe (Edwardsville but not too far from me) - good pizza overall but the toppings leave something to be desired at times
Revello's - NO, just NO. Why is the pizza covered in American cheese? I had no idea...it was the strangest pizza I think I've ever had

I was told Pizza Heaven is a square pie...so I haven't bothered.

Anyone have any other suggestions in Kingston for me that are a standard NY style pizza? If not, I'll stick with Antonio's and AmberDonia...

There is much truth to pizza being a regional thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 09:09 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Hint: Luzerne has more and better pizza places than Kingston. I remember the old Luzerne Pizza Bar, one of the first in the area. They made thin crust New York style pizza with homemade sauce and dough. Folks from Kingston and the back mountain were the main patrons. It closed around 1970 when the state tore down the building for the new highway.

The late Bob Ceccoli's Victory Pig is still going strong. If you like Sicilian style pizza with lots of onions, this is the place.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Try Bud's but it's going to be thinner than a NY style.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bu...dUDj0Q_BIIfzAK

Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Pizza Bella on the Ave in Forty Fort. Round pie, thin crust, sauce on the sweet side.

Sal's on the Ave at Hughes Street in Forty Fort. The owners are actual Italians and their son and his sister grew up in the business. Round pie, thin crust, and you can get a slice. They have a little dining room and a fair sized menu.

Antonio's on the Ave at Luzerne in West Pittston. Round pie, thin crust, but if you want Sicilian, they also have that. The old building was wrecked in the flood of '11 and since then, it's been rebuilt.

You just have to keep trying. You won't want the Victory Pig pizza, it's "fried". Sizzle Pi and Pizza Lov'n are like that. The owners worked for the Pig and started their own businesses.

The Fort Café - where else? - on the Ave in Forty Fort was closed for many years and when it reopened we went there because it used to be our go-to place back in the '70s. Only once - pie was so soupy you could eat it with a spoon.

Sabatini's - wait for it - on the Ave in Exeter - is another one I'm not crazy about, but don't judge it by me. People who like it won't go anywhere else.

None of these are far from Kingston. As you've probably learned, all these little towns are cheek by jowl and in 15 minutes you've been in three or four distinct municipalities.

Have fun.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

Antonio's on the Ave at Luzerne in West Pittston. Round pie, thin crust, but if you want Sicilian, they also have that. The old building was wrecked in the flood of '11 and since then, it's been rebuilt.
They moved after the flood which was really surprising because they were there at least from the mid 70's. I guess they did it because they were able to move right into existing pizza place that was for sale in Wyoming. That place ended up burning. AFAIK the place in West Pittston was renovated by someone else as a more traditional restaurant and didn't have much success before Antonio's moved back.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Pizza Bella on the Ave in Forty Fort. Round pie, thin crust, sauce on the sweet side.

Sal's on the Ave at Hughes Street in Forty Fort. The owners are actual Italians and their son and his sister grew up in the business. Round pie, thin crust, and you can get a slice. They have a little dining room and a fair sized menu.

You just have to keep trying. You won't want the Victory Pig pizza, it's "fried". Sizzle Pi and Pizza Lov'n are like that. The owners worked for the Pig and started their own businesses.

The Fort Café - where else? - on the Ave in Forty Fort was closed for many years and when it reopened we went there because it used to be our go-to place back in the '70s. Only once - pie was so soupy you could eat it with a spoon.

Sabatini's - wait for it - on the Ave in Exeter - is another one I'm not crazy about, but don't judge it by me. People who like it won't go anywhere else.

None of these are far from Kingston. As you've probably learned, all these little towns are cheek by jowl and in 15 minutes you've been in three or four distinct municipalities.

Have fun.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will start to try the ones you've suggested. We are just a spit away from Forty Fort - you are right - I am starting to get around more and in learning the area have realized how tiny the boroughs can be!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Hint: Luzerne has more and better pizza places than Kingston. I remember the old Luzerne Pizza Bar, one of the first in the area. They made thin crust New York style pizza with homemade sauce and dough. Folks from Kingston and the back mountain were the main patrons. It closed around 1970 when the state tore down the building for the new highway.

The late Bob Ceccoli's Victory Pig is still going strong. If you like Sicilian style pizza with lots of onions, this is the place.
I'm sure there are many good pizza places in the area I haven't been to (yet!) but I noted Kingston because those are close to home for a quick pizza pick up so I don't have to go far. I'm sadly not a fan of the Sicilian style pizza. I was a little spoiled in my early twenties living in the Italian section in Hartford, CT and was exposed to the best brick oven, thin crust Italian pies...too bad the place burned down and I moved away. Then there were the bakeries...

But here I am a stranger in a strange place making my way and finding new places to favorite!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,797 times
Stick with Antonio's it's about the closest you'll come and the price is good. If you are over in Wilkes Barre Nello's has some pretty good pie.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:16 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,308 times
I hesitate to reenter the pizza wars, but this thread seems peaceful thus far, so I'll contribute a nickel and a link .

The OP found Amberdonia. They are also in Dickson City, in the strip mall across from the entrance to the Viewmont Mall. I think their pizza is very good...and not the usual NEPA/Old Forge style. They also make a wide variety of cupcakes, cookies, and special pastries.

Don't just take my word for it ... here's the opinion of one local "guru'...there are a few, but this guy does a good job and I've agreed with many of his reviews. Check 'em out, you'll find some you know about and others you want to try. Enjoy...

Amberdonia Bakery (and Pizza) - Dickson City

Last edited by jimazee; 05-16-2016 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 07:18 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I hesitate to reenter the pizza wars, but this thread seems peaceful thus far, so I'll contribute a nickel and a link .

The OP found Amberdonia. They are also in Dickson City, in the strip mall across from the entrance to the Viewmont Mall. I think their pizza is very good...and not the usual NEPA/Old Forge style. They also make a wide variety of cupcakes, cookies, and special pastries.

Don't just take my word for it ... here's the opinion of one a local "guru'...there are a few, but this guy does a good job and I've agreed with many of his reviews. Check 'em out, you'll find some you know about and others you want to try. Enjoy...

Amberdonia Bakery (and Pizza) - Dickson City
Cookies? I really like cookies. C is for cookie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania