Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

We love doing that too. The drive from Lake Ariel to Barryville or Roscoe, NY is pretty also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Has anyone mentioned yet the drive up Rt. 6 toward Towanda? The view of the "Old Suskie" at Standing Stone Township is gorgeous.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,133 times
Thanks for the tip about the Nicholson Bridge. I used to always take a left on 6 to head to upstate NY. It was really nice compared to taking 81/86. Though I do remember this ridiculous speed trap in a small town where the speed dropped to 25MPH from 55MPH for only a few blocks...always at least two cops hiding out there.

Do you ever see cyclists riding up Mt. Zion? I have started cycling a lot since moving away and I always think of how much fun it would be to ride in these areas. If it is fun in a car, it is doubly fun on a bicycle. But, I don't remember there ever being many cyclists around so I feel like riding on some of these roads might be a quick way to get run off into a ditch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I could third Mt. Zion if I didn't live right off it.

92 is nice ride, if you really wanted to extend it once you get to 6 take a right. Go a few miles and then make left continuing onto Rt.92. That will take you to Nicholson and the Nicholson Bridge.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 PM

210 posts, read 381,277 times
The covered bridge tour is a nice sunday drive

http://www.discoverlehighvalley.com/...dge_8.5x11.pdf

Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Wave as you drive by!!

What bird sanctuary are you going to?

It's the one on the South side of route 209 as you head west towards Nesquehoning.
My wife and I were there last year and we were very impressed with the many birds of prey they had.

Of course these are birds that have been injured and cannot exist outside the sanctuary.

I'll wave at cha lady!!

Last edited by julian17033; 10-02-2012 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Do you ever see cyclists riding up Mt. Zion?
There is quite a few around.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
It's the one on the South side of route 209 as you head west towards Nesquehoning.
My wife and I were there last year and we were very impressed with the many birds of prey they had.

Of course these are birds that have been injured and cannot exist outside the sanctuary.

I'll wave at cha lady!!
I never knew!! I will have to keep my eyes peeled. You are talking about up the hill past Redners toward PVHS, right?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I never knew!! I will have to keep my eyes peeled. You are talking about up the hill past Redners toward PVHS, right?

Yeppers!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Yeppers!

YAY! I will have to check it out

Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Many areas of NEPA north of Scranton are nice drives.

Newton Ransom has many back roads reminiscent of NH and other parts of New England, although it is increasingly being 'discovered' and there are more new (often large) houses beginning to dot the picturesque rolling hills that once were all farms. Fortunately, many still exist.

Besides the views, there are some nice stops including the consignment crafters at the new branch of the successful Scranton Willow Tree Shop now housed in a beautiful old church building...and the 1880s vintage Williams Country Store and Bakery a bakery/deli/cafe good for breakfast or lunch. Dessert pies in about 30 flavors are their real specialty...call ahead and order one (or two..) for pick up.

Back to more modern life, you can also stop in Clarks Summit and dine at a wide range of places from upscale Patsels to the newly opened Silver Spoon Diner, or treat yourself to great ice cream at the CS branch of Manning's Farm Dairy and walk the many little shops in town.

The drive north on 6 and 11 can take you to Tunkhannock (a town with shops and walkable streets on a picturesque river) and/or detour to Nicholson (you gotta see the bridge...) where you will find more places to wander, stop and look, eat or shop. Lackawanna State Park, Elk Mountain, Crystel Lake etc. If you like antiques Carriage Barn Antiques is a must see.

There are plenty more nice places out that way...lots of back roads, farms, lakes, and little burgs. Too many to list really. Google is your friend...pick a route and just wander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania