Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,818 times

Advertisements

I've lived in West Pittston area about a year but I'm wondering what your opinions are regarding grocery stores around here. I've been trying different ones but which one do you think has the best prices and quality (especially meats and produce)? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,797 times
Wegman's for meat if you buy the club pack. I will cook the whole pack and then freeze meal size portions in plastic containers and microwave them. Chicken breast is usually $1.99, Pork loin was 2.09 but lately it has been 2.49 not sure why the hike. Chicken Legs are $.49. If you want Beef I have found the lower cuts come in around $2.49. Produce is really hit or miss but again, the Wegman's club pack is sometimes a deal, otherwise believe it or not Walmart tends to come in the best at Produce.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 PM

267 posts, read 765,751 times
Walmart may have the best price at produce, but not quality.

For the best mix of price and quality, hands down has to be Wegmans.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 AM

889 posts, read 2,575,635 times
17 pages of discussion here: Best prices at local grocery stores

Oh yea, and I miss Sunshine Market

Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 9,818 times
I'm with ya regarding Sunshine Market, I liked that store. I'm just sick of Walmart and looking for an actual grocery store. I was going to Redner's for a little while and after coming home with bad potatoes 3 times in a row and the produce that I bought rotting within a day or two of coming home and hearing from a neighbor that they change the dates on the meats, I'm done with them. So now I'm on the search again Thanks for the responses. I've been in Wegman's a couple times and they seem to be really nice but was curious about their prices. We've even driven to Daleville a couple times to go to ShopRite.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM

238 posts, read 365,199 times
I love Wegmans.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Wegmans by far.....Walmart has good prices, but crappy meat. Wegmans has good quality meat at good prices.

Price Chopper, Gerrity's, and Weis are way too expensive.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM

129 posts, read 425,314 times
If you have tried Wegman's bakery, you will never go anywhere else.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Spangia, the drive to Daleville and the cost of gas will eat up whatever savings you get at ShopRite. Wegman's came to town and got the rep of being "too expensive" but if you go, you'll know that's not necessarily so. Yes, they do have a lot of specialty items and an imported foods section. Pricey. Their bakery stuff is so good that I have to walk by with my head averted or I'd buy one of each. Pricey. They have what I believe to be the best loaf of fresh-baked Italian bread in town and I never leave the store without one. Their produce is excellent. Their house brands can stand up to the national brands in just about every case. Meat prices are competitive. Don't go in with the idea of it being too expensive. Just go in and walk the aisles. Decide for yourself what's reasonable and what isn't.
What convinced me: One item, national brand. Gerrity's charges $1.69 Weis charges $1.79 Price Chopper doesn't even carry it. Wegman's price? $1.29
No, I don't work there. I just think it's a really good place to shop.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM

889 posts, read 2,575,635 times
The real answer here is shop at multiple stores. It's easy to do where I live, I routinely drive past three of my top four, and I can walk to the fourth.

Since I can talk about this forever, healthy eating and which store carries what brand, here's the list for me:

1. Whole Foods, for fruit and veggies only.
2. Wegmans, for the bulk of other things.
3. Redners, I do avoid the produce, and I don't eat much meat.
4. Trader Joes. For milk, cheese (although Redner's just got some things that best TJs in this category), yogurt, etc.

Redner's, IMO, is the under appreciated star of full line grocery stores in eastern PA. Always check expiration dates, as with any bargain retailer. They have some high end stuff hidden away (Alessi brands, and in general many products imported from Italy, like dry pasta and bottled sauces), and in some ways it's almost like a treasure hunt in their stores when you look closely. In some categories they carry, hidden in plain sight, is what in other stores are considered high end items and brands, and in many cases they carry the full line of flavors and varieties. There are even some brands where they stock the full line of all flavors and varieties, even those not carried at Wegmans or Whole Foods (and that is saying a lot). And, when they have something on sale, their 10 for $10 deals, it's usually a great deal, no one else's prices will ever come close to these prices. If it's a not perishable item in the 10 for $10, don't hesitate to stock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania