Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM

18 posts, read 29,990 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Swoyersville with our two-year-old son and we decided to move to a very nice neighborhood in Mountain Top. We closed on the new house about a week and a half ago and our current house is up for sale.

We've been in our current house for over seven years and have sooooo many memories there. It was our first house, our son was born there, etc, etc. We bought the house when I was making barely any money at all.

Now I'm making considerably more money and can afford a much nicer house for my family.

The reasons we are moving:

1) Flood scares and evacuations get old. We've had to evacuate three times in the past seven years.
2) Better school district for my son when he gets older.
3) More room for my son and if we have another child.
4) Nicer houser with central a/c, dining room, 3 bathrooms instead of 1, etc.
5) Interest rates are better than ever and are only going to go up.

Things I feel we are losing:

1) Closeness to town. We can no longer go to Hillside Farms and be there in 10 minutes. We don't have the convienience of Wyoming Avenue and all of the restaurants there, etc.
2) Sidewalks. My son loved walking around the neighborhood. (the new neighborhood has large streets and people walk, but its not the same)
3) Walking distance to local park. (even though park is very junky)
4) Nice, but sometimes annoying neighbors (i.e. fireworks at 1:00am gets old)
5) Our memories of our "home".
6) Two-story house instead of single-story. I get sad thinking of my wife taking a shower upstairs alone while I am downstairs with my son. (this probably sounds silly, but it's what we are "used to")

I was very excited until it "hit" me last week that these are the last few nights in my "home" and now my wife and I can't stop crying mostly thinking about the memories. I'm even upset writing this.

I have a friend in the area I'm moving to, and several people know people in the development I'm moving and everybody says it's wonderful and it's one of the best areas you can raise children in.

Our parents don't understand why we are sad, and I even thought about selling our new house because the sadness is so great but I do feel that moving to this bigger house and nicer area will be best for my family but I can't help thinking about the memories and the few disadvantages to being up there.

Can anybody give me any advice? I'm moving this weekend. I keep thinking about telling my son to wave goodbye to everything he's ever known and it's breaking my heart.

- Sad dad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
2) Sidewalks. My son loved walking around the neighborhood. (the new neighborhood has large streets and people walk, but its not the same)
3) Walking distance to local park. (even though park is very junky)
I grew up in West Pittston, if I had a choice I most certainly would have taken the wide open woods if that is the type of place you're moving to.

Quote:
4) Nice, but sometimes annoying neighbors (i.e. fireworks at 1:00am gets old)
One of my best fireworks stories is the cop knocking on the front door asking if we were lighting fireworks off as this giant cloud of smoke was rising from the back yard, this was New Years. "Of course not sir"

His reply was if he found who it was he was going to cite them as the wisps of smoke were surrounding his car and the front porch. Needless to say that was the end of the fireworks for that night.

Consider yourself lucky, I lived in that house for 35 years. It was forced moved because of a fire. It was like watching a very old friend die a really slow death as they tore it down.

Move on, a new house is refreshing especially if you're moving to anywhere like I am now. Takes little time but it will be home soon.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
You have a case of 'mover's regret'. With luck and a little effort, this will pass. Don't dwell on it.

Change is a part of most peoples lives. Treasure the old memories (the good ones) and create new ones.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
When my three eldest sons were in their teen/pre-teen years, we moved from Bucks County to Scranton. We treated it as a big adventure and while we wondered what it would be like (we had no connections in our new city), we determined that the move was necessary and we would adapt. In a few short weeks, the kids had adapted, even though the eldest swore he was going to go back "home" at his first opportunity. Long story short, he never did.

Your son will pick up on your feelings and if you present this move as something to be sad about, he's going to feel the same way. He's still young enough that he hasn't yet made "life-long friends", so he's not going to feel like he's being uprooted. Present your new surroundings as someplace to be explored and remember, Hillside isn't all that far away. Good luck in your new home.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In a few short weeks, the kids had adapted, even though the eldest swore he was going to go back "home" at his first opportunity. Long story short, he never did.
I can remember when I was really young this family moved in next to us one house down. I guess they got bounced around a lot because of the Fathers job and two years later they were moving. They kept hiding the "For Sale" sign, can't say I blame them if you're getting uprooted all the time.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Are there any groups or activities in Mountain Top that my family can participate in to help us making some friends, etc?

I'm 31, my wife is 33, and my son is just over two years old.

I think if we could meet some other people around our age it would be really helpful and would help us adjust...

EDIT: It looks like the Mountain Top Welcome Club mostly participates on weekdays during the day so that wouldn't work for us...

Thanks,
John

Last edited by sofakng; 01-15-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 05:57 PM

45 posts, read 94,935 times
Hey John,
There are many couples around your age in mountain top. What part of mountain top or development did you buy in?
BTW, I have a 2 1/2 year old son.
Jason

Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM

We're moving into Woodberry Estates.

I guess I'm also a little afraid of fitting in because we aren't rich by any means and I've heard that people up there can be snoby. (i.e. "Oh, your husband makes you work instead of staying home and watching the kids?")

We also just went up there to see the house and it was DARK. Almost all of the neighbors didn't have any lights on except for a couple so it seemed a bit lonely.

It's just so different from living in the city.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM

45 posts, read 94,935 times
I come from Long Island and I'm used to having sidewalks, lights and snobs as well. Yes it is dark but you get used to it. As for snoby, not much of that in my development (forest point), only a few stay at home moms. I guess there may be some snobs but I don't hang out with anyone I don't like.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I really get the 'moving from the home where your child was born' thing. I walked through that house about five times before I finally locked the door for the last time. Then I stood at the curb and stared at it for about fifteen minutes before the neighbor interrupted my trance and asked why I didn't just get in the car and leave. I knew why. I thought that I might never see the place again. It's hundreds of miles from where I now live and I never did get to see it again. After a time, it didn't matter. My new house became my new home.

Keep the camera ready. You'll want pics of Valentines Day in your new home, Easter in your new home, Mothers and Fathers Day in your new home... By this time next year you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania