Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband, mother in law and I are looking at a house for sale located in Pleasant Valley West Club in Jim Thorpe. Is anyone here familiar with the community/surrounding area and can provide feedback.

Thank you in advance.

CH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Hi,

My husband, mother in law and I are looking at a house for sale located in Pleasant Valley West Club in Jim Thorpe. Is anyone here familiar with the community/surrounding area and can provide feedback.

Thank you in advance.

CH
I'm familiar with the surrounding area but not the community itself. I know where it is but I don't know anyone who lives there. What do you want to know?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I'm familiar with the surrounding area but not the community itself. I know where it is but I don't know anyone who lives there. What do you want to know?
I'm interested in knowing more about the community itself rather than the area. Our relator is from Jim Thorpe and was able to give us some useful info regarding the area, plus we've done some of our own through friends and family in the area.

One of the main things I was interested in was the road maintenance. We were out there yesterday and clearly the roads had not been plowed despite there being enough accumulation to actually plow. Nor did we see any plows at work in the rest of the community as we drove through it in it's entirety. I was curious if that was something that frequently happened or if it was just a "Sunday/weekend" issue.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I'm interested in knowing more about the community itself rather than the area. Our relator is from Jim Thorpe and was able to give us some useful info regarding the area, plus we've done some of our own through friends and family in the area.

One of the main things I was interested in was the road maintenance. We were out there yesterday and clearly the roads had not been plowed despite there being enough accumulation to actually plow. Nor did we see any plows at work in the rest of the community as we drove through it in it's entirety. I was curious if that was something that frequently happened or if it was just a "Sunday/weekend" issue.
Sorry, I'm not sure. I know we have a occasional poster who lives at Bear Creek Lakes, so she might be more familiar.

I can tell you that I get nervous traveling 903 itself during bad weather. Penn Forest Twp doesn't do a bad job with maintenance, but it gets very windy up there and white out conditions are common.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM

130 posts, read 310,260 times
We have a home in Bear Creek Lakes. You will want to do a lot of checking into what kind of association exists and what the dues cover. There are numerous communities where homeowners find out the hard way that roads are not plowed or even maintained. In some communities the road situation has gotten so bad that the homeowners attempt to form an association after the fact. But at that point they cannot mandate contributions and the road repair costs can be staggering. There was recently a situation where desperate homeowners approached the Township Supervisors but they were unable to assist and pretty much said "buyer beware".

Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Thank you for your feedback.

@KatWag, reading the HOA's book, road maintenance is covered in the year fee. Now how well they maintain said roads remains to be seen. LOL

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,926 times
think very carefully before you buy in a development with a homeowners association. there is nothing good about them. they will constantly be in your personal life and you will soon be VERY tired of the nonsense they can produce.remember you pay for road maintanence in your property taxes. association dues will be charged to you under the guise of "road maintenance". the money wil then be spent on things like "golf outings"that you will not be "invited to". I KNOW,i've seen it. to sum up DON'T buy in a place that has an association you will never have any peace from people that need to try to run your life.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert n brounce View Post
think very carefully before you buy in a development with a homeowners association. there is nothing good about them. they will constantly be in your personal life and you will soon be VERY tired of the nonsense they can produce.remember you pay for road maintanence in your property taxes. association dues will be charged to you under the guise of "road maintenance". the money wil then be spent on things like "golf outings"that you will not be "invited to". I KNOW,i've seen it. to sum up DON'T buy in a place that has an association you will never have any peace from people that need to try to run your life.
Considering this is 2 years old they may have already purchased a home by now.....

Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert n brounce View Post
We've been there a little over 2 years now. We have very few rules within the HOA, none unreasonable imo. All dealings we've had with the board and various residents have been nothing but positive. Really fantastic neighbors as well.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:07 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Does the HOA own and maintain the roads or does the municipality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania