Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:00 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times

Advertisements

I've learend a great deal about wilkes-barre by reading this forum, and it looks to be a decent place for me. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about the following towns?

Kingston,Nanticoke, Pittston,Wyoming, Ashley, Avoca, Dallas,Edwardsville, Exeter, Forty Fort, Luzerne, or Plains?

Any feedback is appreicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,884 times
Well its all in Wyoming Valley aka "the valley". My opinon, because I used to work there at a school there in Kingston and FortyFort., They don't take to kindly to outsiders "those not from the valley". They will spot you by your accent obviously and say to you "oh,you're NOT from the valley, are You?" This maybe cause my Long Island accent is very strong. I hated it there. This is just my opinion. And the homes are sooooclosetogether.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:11 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
Well its all in Wyoming Valley aka "the valley". My opinon, because I used to work there at a school there in Kingston and FortyFort., They don't take to kindly to outsiders "those not from the valley". They will spot you by your accent obviously and say to you "oh,you're NOT from the valley, are You?" This maybe cause my Long Island accent is very strong. I hated it there. This is just my opinion. And the homes are sooooclosetogether.
When I first moved her from L.I., I worked in a bank. One sweet little old lady asked me if I was from around here...I knew what she was getting at. She said she knew EVERYBODY from here. I wanted to tell her very sweetly, "No, I'm not from around here, I commute from L.I. everyday to be a teller in this bank."

Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 AM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times
Cool Wonderful

I have a Brooklyn/Staten Island/New Jersey Hybrid Accent, so i Guess i'll get spotted pretty easily. haha. no matter, i'm going for work, not to make friends so if they dont want to be friendly. we are bigger a**holes in NJ and im completely used to it .

Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 AM

396 posts, read 1,699,193 times
I would check out Dallas and Mountaintop. There are more transplants there and an easy drive into the valley.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM

201 posts, read 539,031 times
I think it will depend on what you can afford. Most areas have certain streets which are undesirable. Dallas and Mountaintop are fairly expensive as well as parts of Kingston. Nanticoke, Ashley, and Hanover Township are for lower to moderate income families although there are certain areas in all where there are newer houses but are still affordable for the most part. I am not familiar about Plains or Forty-Fort. If you are working in Wilkes-Barre and do not like to commute in the snow, then I would not recommend Dallas, Mountaintop, or Bear Creek area. It can get a little nasty. Some like it, but I do not like driving in the snow, especially down the mountain. I am more familiar with the areas in Hanover Township so if you need any info on them, I might be of some help. Best of luck on your move.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I have a Brooklyn/Staten Island/New Jersey Hybrid Accent, so i Guess i'll get spotted pretty easily. haha. no matter, i'm going for work, not to make friends so if they dont want to be friendly. we are bigger a**holes in NJ and im completely used to it .
Exactly my thoughts MovingOutOfNJ, as I mentioned in another post you have seen way worse crime than this area will ever give you.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 AM

21 posts, read 45,198 times
Default "Not local"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
They don't take to kindly to outsiders "those not from the valley". They will spot you by your accent obviously and say to you "oh,you're NOT from the valley, are You?"
So TRUE. I love it here in this area, but I am a transplant as well, grew up in Northern Westchester.... But in my opinion, the people who have been here forever, to me, are a little snooty (or maybe more stand off-ish) and close minded... apparently this is the center of the universe (which I was not not aware of)....LOL... There are good people here, even the locals- but you have to get to know them first- they kind of keep to themselves. They do not like outsiders, I agree- but WHATEVER. I keep saying I am going to get myself a shirt that reads, "Not local". ha ha ha

Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Reasons for looking at WB and the valley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about the following towns?

Kingston,Nanticoke, Pittston,Wyoming, Ashley, Avoca, Dallas,Edwardsville, Exeter, Forty Fort, Luzerne, or Plains?

Any feedback is appreicated.
Hi there- I must have missed something in another post- but can I ask why you are focusing on those areas? What are you looking for? Suburban or rural? Are schools an issue? Are you looking to buy or rent? Where do you need to drive to get to work (or do you not know that yet)

I moved here from Binghamton, NY, but grew up in Westchester County, NY... I have worked in Dallas, and let me tell you- communting in and out of there is a pain in the butt... there is one main road in and out and there are also accidents and back ups. I live in the North Poconos now, and commute to Binghamton everyday (140 miles round trip)... I would still rather do that commute that the 35 mile trip to Dallas. I HATED that commute. The 81 corridor between Scranton and Wilkes Barre is notorious for back ups and traffic (not like down in Jersey, but you get held up frequently).

So anyway- if you tell me a little more about specifically what you are looking for, I can make some more suggestions. I travel alot around this area because of work, so I can give you some insights. It really isnt a bad area overall...I love living here, and I am here to stay.

Laura

Old 11-02-2007, 04:50 AM

Default how funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
When I first moved her from L.I., I worked in a bank. One sweet little old lady asked me if I was from around here...I knew what she was getting at. She said she knew EVERYBODY from here. I wanted to tell her very sweetly, "No, I'm not from around here, I commute from L.I. everyday to be a teller in this bank."
I love PA- that is too funny... You know what amazed me the most when I moved here? People dont go anywhere here (well, more so the older generation). I am a home care nurse, and I cant tell you how many times people could not give me directions to their own house. And people stay put- I am so amazed by this- I ask the majority of my patients- "How long have you lived here?" and probably 80% of them say they grew up in the same house, or this was their parents house (and they are like in their 80's)... It just blows me away- no one stays put like that anymore. And if they have to go out somewhere... like a 15-30 minute ride somewhere- they plan it for weeks.... big day out, ya know....

It just amazes me, and I am not saying this to put the locals down, it just floors me everytime I meet some of the older folks that have lived here their whole lives... I really do enjoy living in this area, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania