Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 PM

25 posts, read 51,475 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone can tell me what the best cable and internet companies to use. I'm looking for a bundle package. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
Your choices are limited to what area you are living in...

Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
Yeah. There's no competition. There's Blue Ridge Cable/PTD -- cable/internet/phone package with a low introductory rate that goes up after six months. We have it and are reasonably satisfied. It goes out a few times a year. But no real complaints.

There are the satellite companies, but you might not be able to get the signal (we couldn't - we live in the woods).

Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
In this area most places only have one choice for high speed internet and cable TV and which company that is depends on the area. It varies, DSL for internet might be available from the phone company too but no where near as fast as cable. That's fast enough for most people unless you're going to use high bandwidth services like Netflix.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinnieLee33 View Post
I'm hoping someone can tell me what the best cable and internet companies to use. I'm looking for a bundle package. Thanks!

Linnie, since you're new to the area, you're going to find it's a lot different than living in a large metro area. This board alone, for example, covers many counties, and each of those counties have many towns (and a few cities), and each of those has their own government.

I live in Luzerne County in a very small town (less than 5,000 residents) and just across the bridge is the city of Wilkes Barre, also in Luzerne County. My cable/internet is Comcast. Wilkes Barre is Service Electric. We are literally minutes away from one another. And it's the same all through the region.

You're going to find that the best source of information for your own immediate area will be your neighbors. Having already lived here, they'll know all the information about the particular area. For instance, cable/internet, cell phone service; trash collection; best shopping areas; PA (strange) liquor laws; hospitals and doctors; stuff like that.

As for general questions about NEPA, this board will be very helpful. There are people here who live in all the different counties and many of the towns are represented. Good luck with your move.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
We're pretty happy with Blue Ridge for cable and internet. Our avg monthly bill is around $135.00 for G7 cable and HD cable with DVR and no pay channels.

Our kids play high school sports and BRC does a fair job of covering their teams even though we're one of the smaller schools in the area. I doubt you'd see any local high school sports coverage with FiOS or satellite dish.

How much local coverage you want (I mean REALLY local not just crime and corruption in Scranton/W-B) may factor into your decision as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM

217 posts, read 333,906 times
Rates all over seem out of control and with me looking for a vacation home, there is no way I will pay the same as I do here on Long Island, it just isn't worth it being I will be there only part time. I wish the old antennas still would work...so I guess we will stock up on DVDs. I will miss the internet.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2PA View Post
I wish the old antennas still would work...
They do, if you have a TV made after 2007(if I recall correctly) it will have a ATSC tuner, all you need is the antenna. If it's an older SD TV or made prior to 2007 you probably have to get a digital converter box that will have the ATSC tuner.

There is no such thing as a "digital antenna" or "hd antenna" so don't fall for the hype. If you get reception it cannot be improved with a different antenna. You can use any antennae including those 60 year old rabbit ears. The only reason you may want to consider a better antenna is if your existing one or cheap one doesn't get good reception. In that case you may be able to get reception with a better antenna.

Depends on your area but you should get all the networks including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS etc. There is multiple channels for each network, e.g. PBS might have 3. One is the local feed, one is the national feed and the other is a home improvement/cooking type channel.

Believe it or not these transmissions are superior to what is on cable as far as quality goes. Cable programming is compressed considerably to preserve bandwidth. There is no such limitations for OTA transmission so you can get the full HD stream.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 AM

452 posts, read 681,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2PA View Post
Rates all over seem out of control and with me looking for a vacation home, there is no way I will pay the same as I do here on Long Island, it just isn't worth it being I will be there only part time. I wish the old antennas still would work...so I guess we will stock up on DVDs. I will miss the internet.
All iPad models come with built-in Wi‑Fi. If you want to access the Internet in more places, choose a model that supports cellular data and sign up for data service from AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon — right on your iPad.

Now, how difficult was that???

Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
All iPad models come with built-in Wi‑Fi. If you want to access the Internet in more places, choose a model that supports cellular data and sign up for data service from AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon — right on your iPad.

Now, how difficult was that???
That assumes you get cell service, cell reception is terrible where I'm at. We need an "extender" which uses our cable internet connection for cell service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania