Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:11 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience having an ancient oil burner (or other furnace) where asbestos remediation was involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
No, just pipe wrap.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, just pipe wrap.

Was that recent? If so, who did you use?

Old 11-10-2017, 05:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Is this the pipes or the boiler/furnace itself?

If it's the pipes and there is nothing wrong with it, leave it alone. It's only when the protective casing on it is damaged it becomes a concern.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Is this the pipes or the boiler/furnace itself?

If it's the pipes and there is nothing wrong with it, leave it alone. It's only when the protective casing on it is damaged it becomes a concern.

Old Bethlehem Dynatherm boiler, built like a brick ****house and probably from the 60's, needs to be replaced because it's leaking water.

I am working with Disaster Blasters out of Scranton right now. They are coming down for an estimate on Monday.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:02 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Old Bethlehem Dynatherm boiler, built like a brick ****house and probably from the 60's, needs to be replaced because it's leaking water.

I am working with Disaster Blasters out of Scranton right now. They are coming down for an estimate on Monday.
We had an old Dynatherm boiler, that was older than the 1960's, when I had a business back in the 60's and 70's. Ours also leaked water and I used broom sticks to repair it back then. You have to open up both sides so you can see the heating tubes that run the length of the boiler. You find the one/s that are leaking and you simply hammer in wooden plugs, made of short pieces of broom stick, into both sides of the leaking tube/s. Of course it cuts down on your heating efficiency, but if you don't have the $10 K or more to replace it right now; it might be a 'cheap' alternative. The wooden 'plugs', when hot and wet, expand and will stop your leaks - they also will not burn when wet. I suppose it might be possible to weld slightly smaller tubes inside the leaking tubes.

Our Dynatherm had asbestos pipe insulation. Back them asbestos was our 'friend' - it was just starting to be exposed as a major cancer cause. That is why so many houses have asbestos shingles and also asbestos pipe insulation. Today's thinking is to encapsulate the shingles or insulation: https://www.hunker.com/12431199/how-...asbestos-pipes. The more you move/disturb the insulation; the more dust you create and breathe.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
... but if you don't have the $10 K or more to replace it right now; it might be a 'cheap' alternative.
Luckily the quote we've got for the removal & replacement of the unit "soup to nuts" is $6800, financed at 6.99% for 60 months.

The only wildcard is the asbestos, and I've got a guy from Scranton coming down today to look at it. The kicker is the 2-week waiting period after they file the remediation plan with Harrisburg. I'll say that again: There is a 2-week waiting period (10 business days) after Harrisburg receives the remediation plan before they can perform the work.

Again, we're lucky that the unit is working, just quirky and needing human intervention (First World Problem) so we can wait the 2 weeks without too much effort, just annoyance. But if the unit had totally crapped out in the middle of a cold wave, we'd be screwed.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
What I wouldn't do is go to home depot and get some good respirators, plastic sheeting and super heavy duty garbage bags. I wouldn't use that plastic to create an enclosure around the boiler to work in and contain it. I also would not dampen the surface of the asbestos with garden type sprayer and then place it into double bagged heavy duty garbage bags.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Luckily the quote we've got for the removal & replacement of the unit "soup to nuts" is $6800, financed at 6.99% for 60 months.

The only wildcard is the asbestos, and I've got a guy from Scranton coming down today to look at it. The kicker is the 2-week waiting period after they file the remediation plan with Harrisburg. I'll say that again: There is a 2-week waiting period (10 business days) after Harrisburg receives the remediation plan before they can perform the work.

Again, we're lucky that the unit is working, just quirky and needing human intervention (First World Problem) so we can wait the 2 weeks without too much effort, just annoyance. But if the unit had totally crapped out in the middle of a cold wave, we'd be screwed.
Years ago, when asbestos was our friend; we would crumble that old pipe insulation and mix it with water to seal chimney stove pipes. I am surprised I am still alive - perhaps I should not talk! They also use to make an asbestos board that we used to fireproof furnace rooms. I have to wonder how much of that is still around?

Our old Dynatherm lasted for years with the broom stick pieces stuck in it's tubes. I think we had six tubes blocked off when I finally sold the place back in the 1970's.

Good luck with your new furnace and 'remediation'! The new furnaces are considerably more efficient than the older ones. We got a new 'New Yorker' boiler just about four years ago. That cost me about $10 K altogether. But that was counting removal of an aging 500 gallon oil tank in the ground and replacement with one in the garage (above ground). That is also something that can keep you up at night worrying if it is leaking. The tanks are only supposed to be good for about 20 years 'in the ground' and we had a few more than that. Fortunately the outside was dry and no problems - we took lots of pictures when we removed it and had an excavator that worked with the State.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I wouldn't do is...

I hear ya. And believe me, if I was a single man with nobody to answer to I'd seriously entertain alternative abatement methods.

If only there was enough room to just leave it in place in install a new unit along side it, I'd do that.

My guy from Scranton is saying it's a hybrid job, residential because it's residential, yet industrial because of the size and weight of the boiler. They need 4 guys, all must have hazmat certification with asbestos endorsement, and they only have 2 guys on staff. They usually do pipe wrap and shingles, not 1-ton boilers. So we'll see what they can come up with. Otherwise he gave me the name of an industrial remediation contractor they cross-refer with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania