Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,106,083 times

Advertisements

This a take off from another thread but I think that its worthy of its own. Another poster indicated that they were going to spend a million on a home in Scranton site unseen. Would you? If not Scranton then where in NEPA would be worth dropping that kind of money? Remember that the poster was from a completely different part of the country and is not even remotely familiar with our area or our culture, so be honest and lets keep it civil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM

910 posts, read 2,995,198 times
I dont think any house other than a huuuuuge mansion on a lake around here would be worthy of a million. I personally wouldnt spend that on anything here. If I had it I'd be in Cape Cod

Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 AM

937 posts, read 2,891,501 times
Default Only if it had just about everything

like 40 acres of property, indoor swimming pool, guest house, a view to die for, etc. and if I had the money to spend. This area is a beautiful area and why not spend that kind of money if we had it for a place in this area?
Scranton is not just the city and small pieces of property. The outskirts of the Scranton area have some really nice neighborhoods.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,315,031 times
If I had the means, I would absolutely buy a 6 figure house in Scranton and bank the rest. I honestly don't need a million dollar anything. As for "sight unseen"? There isn't one thing I can think of that I'd purchase at any amount, sight unseen. For the kind of money I'd hypothetically be spending, it better have a large, kick ass yard. I'm not spending $500,000 for a stupid top floor apartment in the downtown.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,991,570 times
There are some homes in Waverly I would buy for a mill. Acreage, view, home and location. If they added up i would see resonaing behind it.

Beauty part is, what costs a million in say, weston Ct, or Rye NY costs about 200k in NEPA. Soo a million would most definitly buy you quite a bit.

PS. I just got back from NEPA after being there for a week. Despite one bad day of weather i thought the place looked great.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 AM

The outskirts of Scranton are not Scranton. This poster said that they would be spending a million on a house in Scranton. also lets take into account that they indicated that they were single and 32 yrs old. Sure land and out buildings in the country would be a great investment, but I'm talking about Scranton proper. Who wouldn't want 40 acres and all that comes with it.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Are there even million dollar homes available in Scranton? According to this site (http://www.northeastpamls.com/content/SearchForProperties.htm - broken link), there are not. I searched for homes in Scranton, zoned residential, ranging in price from $1M to $50M.

The poster was obviously a troll, so if you're going to play this game of what-ifs in response to her, you're going to need to expand the playing field to include the closer outlying areas.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM

According to Paul there was a multi million dollar home on the market in Greenridge. We'll have to wait for him to tell us where it was. Troll or not she played the part to fulliest extent. It comes down to investing a million dollars into a home in a city that is financially sunk and no way out anywhere in the near future. Site unseen none the less. The problem is that Scranton is great city and when it gets itself back up by the boot straps it could and will be a great place to buy a home, but right now I can't see it. There are over 500 homes on the market in the city and its not uncommon to drive down a street and see as many as 5 or 6 homes on the same block for sale. I know two families that are just waiting for their kids to gradutae this year and they are moving out of the city and they are life long residents. Something needs to change around here and we need to start to actually invest in the neighborhoods and the residents or we are never going to get out of this hole. The downtown right now isn't bad and it should be left alone while we concentrate on keeping the residents that we have left in the city here.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 AM

OK, so we're really not playing a friendly game of "What If", are we? We're giving you a soapbox. Again.

You should have said so from the beginning. I might not have even bothered with the thread, then. It actually sounded like a bit of fun, until your intentions were made more clear.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 AM

No actually its a what if scenario, these all play into that purchase. The local housing market and the cities taxes and finances all play a huge part in purchasing a home. I would think that if someone was going to buy a home for a million dollars that they would take all aspects of the city into the decision making process. Show me the soap box? Someone was talking about a supposed purchase of a million dollar home in a city that they know nothing about. These factors all come into play. In her first post she alluded that Atlanta was becoming a third world country and she stated that she wanted to move to Scranton to get away from it and she wanted to spend a million on a home site unseen @ 32. If she was concerned about the economy and the enviroment of Atlanta then it would be safe to assume that she would also have the same concerns about the area in which she was to spend a million on a home.

Based on these concerns and the present state of the city of Scranton would you spend a million on a home sight unseen.

Taxes, finances, housing markets and the enviroment are what I'm talking about in regards to the decision making process, I have purposely left politics out of it. Don't bring them into it. I'm still on point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania