Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 AM

5 posts, read 6,567 times

Advertisements

My husband, son and I will be relocating to PA within the next 6 months. I will be working in Scranton and we have decided on either the Stroudsburg or Pleasant Valley School Districts. The reason we decided on living in that area is that it is closer to family (my sister lives in East Stroudsburg and other family in NJ) and it is a more diverse population which is the kind of diversity I want my children to grow up with. From everyone's experience which is a better school system? We right now have a 1 year old son so he won't be in school for a few years but we want to make the right decision for him! Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
I don't think that it makes much difference what elementary school a child attends. Elementary school teachers in PA are expected to use the same methodology ("look-say," "fuzzy math," "active learning," etc) and PA schools are equipped with the latest bells and whistles.

It is when the child is ready to attend middle and high school that big differences in student performance become apparent.

And why would you want to commute daily to Scranton from the Stroudsburg area, where driving in winter can be treacherous? If you want diversity, the Scranton School District fits the bill.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,808 times
I don't have direct experience with either school district; we sent out children to a private Montessori school in Tannersville for elementary years.

But I agree -- if you are working in Scranton, you might want to think about living closer. The commute to Scranton from Stroudsburg in the winter is definitely a concern. The climate and precip for the Stroudsburg area are nothing like the climate/precip/snowfall for "the plateau," which is what we call the flat, high area that you traverse on your way to Scranton. It's a whole 'nother world up there - much snowier and icier.

If you must live here, suggest you investigate taking the bus to Scranton, at least in winter time. Martz goes not only to NYC, it originates in Scranton/W-B, and you can take it from the Stroudsburg area west.

Sorry I can't be of more help with the schools.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks for your help! I will look into the bus at least for the winter. I do have a minivan so that should help in the snow. We primarily chose that area to live since my sister and family will be nearby. I will be working 12 hour shifts, so only 14 days a month. Hopefully that will make a difference with the winter commute not having to travel 5 days a week. I have also heard that parts of Effort are much snowier in the winter than other parts of that area.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
If you want to compare school stats, you can go here: Pennsylvania Schools - Find a School in Pennsylvania - SchoolDigger.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 AM

Wow, I will not ask any more questions since this board OBVIOUSLY isn't here to help anyone. I DID do google searches and have looked up the scores of the schools. I was looking from opinions from people who may have children in the school systems to get REAL opinions to help with my decision. And if you would like to buy me a house in Jersey and then pay the taxes (neither of which I can afford) then please do. Otherwise I don't need your condescending or useless information.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 AM

91 posts, read 189,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrod View Post
My husband, son and I will be relocating to PA within the next 6 months. I will be working in Scranton and we have decided on either the Stroudsburg or Pleasant Valley School Districts. The reason we decided on living in that area is that it is closer to family (my sister lives in East Stroudsburg and other family in NJ) and it is a more diverse population which is the kind of diversity I want my children to grow up with. From everyone's experience which is a better school system? We right now have a 1 year old son so he won't be in school for a few years but we want to make the right decision for him! Thanks for your help!

I used to think Crestwood and Dallas districts were the best. Not anymore. If you really want your kid to get a first rate education, they need to be enrolled in a private school, like Wyoming Seminary, MMI, or Holy Redeemer. Expensive but well worth the money, if you can afford it.

The public schools pretend to educate, and the kids pretend to learn.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 PM

342 posts, read 798,898 times
I can give you PV and Stroudsburg info. I am in pv district. Message me if interested

Old 12-07-2013, 01:29 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrod View Post
Wow, I will not ask any more questions since this board OBVIOUSLY isn't here to help anyone. I DID do google searches and have looked up the scores of the schools. I was looking from opinions from people who may have children in the school systems to get REAL opinions to help with my decision. And if you would like to buy me a house in Jersey and then pay the taxes (neither of which I can afford) then please do. Otherwise I don't need your condescending or useless information.
Don't look at it that way...here you will get straight up answers to your questions and most of the time they will be hard straight up answers...you don't want it sugar-coated do you?? As for the Pleasant Valley SD it's among the best...but even though you'll be working 12 hour shifts in the spring/summer/fall it may seem like not a big deal but once winter sets in it can be a whole different story...so you may want to reconsider doing that...you have to keep in mind that they may be 12 hour shifts but they can be longer once you get home and have unexpected emergencies or surprises waiting at home...commuting to Scranton during winter can be a headache and a mini-van is not a good choice during the winter months either...a 4X4 would be a better option...

Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM

452 posts, read 682,100 times
Pssssst...She's talking about me and my tell it like it is candor. BTW, the post was deleted....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania