Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 14,866 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and so far am really enjoying the nice people and informative threads.

I am a stay at home mom and like many other moms out there I am now looking do do a little bit of work from some extra money. I have applied at one particular business in this area that offers work from home, but they are completely filled.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any opprutunties for someone like me to work from home. I know there are quite a few places in this area but like I said I only know of one in particular and they aren't hiring.

So if anyone could help me out, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 AM

937 posts, read 2,890,329 times
Smile boy i have been trying the same thing here in my home

It is really hard to find a company that is reputable to work for from our homes. I hope somebody has some ideas here. I have been offering infant care in my home and took care of one infant for a few months here but the mom ended up staying home.
I am editing a wedding right now so that is keeping me busy!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 AM

910 posts, read 2,993,740 times
There was another thread like this a few weeks ago with some links and answers so I'd look back a few pages.
I do website design from home. Works great with my schedule and the money is good. Just have to find your nitch!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM

173 posts, read 582,830 times
look into Medical Transcription. There are tons of jobs that work from home in that field. You usually get paid by the line, so your income depends how fast you can type and how much you want to make.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 AM

937 posts, read 2,890,329 times
Default Yes but how do we find these companies and which ones are legit?

Alot of these so called online jobs want money upfront. Why can't we just find a company that needs something done without all the fees being wanted?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:28 AM

Usually the general rule is if they want you to pay them to work, its a scam! Now buying equipment that is a different story. Some companies need you to buy say a foot pedal, or transcription player or something like that.

I used to be the IT manager of a medical transcription company. At the height of the business we had a good 60-80 transcriptionists, all which worked from home and where from as far as washington to flordia. Go to Medical Transcription Service - Medical Transcription Services mtstars.com they have a fourm similar to here but its all about medical transcribition. There is a section for Job Seekers. Most of the jobs listed here are legit, and if your worried you can ask in the fourm and other people that work for them will answer

P.S. you'll probably need some training in Medical words to get considered for a MT job, but its one of the most legit work from home jobs in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 14,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopc View Post
Usually the general rule is if they want you to pay them to work, its a scam! Now buying equipment that is a different story. Some companies need you to buy say a foot pedal, or transcription player or something like that.

I used to be the IT manager of a medical transcription company. At the height of the business we had a good 60-80 transcriptionists, all which worked from home and where from as far as washington to flordia. Go to Medical Transcription Service - Medical Transcription Services mtstars.com they have a fourm similar to here but its all about medical transcribition. There is a section for Job Seekers. Most of the jobs listed here are legit, and if your worried you can ask in the fourm and other people that work for them will answer

P.S. you'll probably need some training in Medical words to get considered for a MT job, but its one of the most legit work from home jobs in my opinion.
Thank you so much for the information. I do have experience in transcription and I actually just bought a foot pedal because I thought I was going to be doing work for a woman in Florida but she kind of screwed me so now I am stuck with this $90 foot pedal...lol So doing transcription work could be an option for me. If you know of anyone else, let me know...and again thanks for taking the time to educate me.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 PM

No problem Like i said i used to work for a medical transcription company so i know that there are many legit companies that have transcriptionists that work from home. Medquist and Transtech are two of the bigger national companies. There are tons of smaller companies too. Look on that mtstars.com under fourms, and under the Job Seeker sections. There are tons of jobs listed there, i'm sure one of them might meet your need You already have the foot pedal, you might just need some sort of transcription player and an internet connection and that is all that most require you have to work for them.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM

755 posts, read 2,334,740 times
I've also been looking for work from home...either some kind of office work or child care. Something I can do while I have my little guy running amok. I think I started the last thread and even with all of the great input, still haven't come up with anything. I've also been putting flyers where-ever I can...supermarkets, etc. in hopes of getting something.

I've done transcription work as well, not medical and, for me, it's very hard b/c I have a 3 year old home with me during the day. I find it very hard to concentrate. I did transcribing work for the NYC Council which was very interesting. I may call that woman up again to see if she has any work. Working for her was odd, she supplied the machine but you had to go to her house all the time to drop off and pick up work.

I also did some transcribing of conference calls but that seems to have fell through after I spent $65 on a foot pedal also. I can probably recoup that on Ebay though. That was all done online so it didn't matter where you live.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,694,955 times
I do general transcription work from home for an online company called Speak-Write. It used to be called CyberSecretaries. Their website is SpeakWrite: Voice to Document Dictation Service. Go to the "Employment" link at the bottom to see if they're hiring. They also hire legal transcriptionists, but not medical ones.

You could try Guru.com – Find freelancers at the world’s largest online service marketplace. where you can register for free. You bid on jobs as they come up and are notified by email. I've done a couple jobs through them.

You might also check out WAHM.com The Online Magazine for Work at Home Moms which lists many different types of work at home jobs. I can't vouch for any of them, though, so use caution.

DM me if you'd like more info on Guru or Speak-Write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania