Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a New "Political/Off-Topic" Sticky Be Considered for Our Sub-Forum?
Yes 8 80.00%
No 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

It has become apparent to anyone not living under a rock that this sub-forum has disintegrated largely into myself, CHS89, WeLuvPA, tinman, and some others bickering about political corruption (or lackthereof) either in Scranton/Lackawanna County or Wilkes-Barre/Luzerne County. This is obviously detracting from other forum business and irking some to the point of not coming on here anymore. I notice that the Pittsburgh sub-forum has its own "sticky" thread created for an "Off-Topic" thread to isolate all of the political brawling and brou-ha-has into one specific thread so it wouldn't spill over into other threads. This might be a great idea for us to pursue here as well, especially since our dicussions can become so heated/ RAWR! LOL! I know Yac is definitely tired of us all arguing so much (I found out personally the other day), so this new thread might be a good idea. It could be moderated/censored less strictly than the rest of the threads to let everyone get on and off their soapboxes WITHOUT irking others who couldn't care less about the poltical climate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

What do others think? Yea or nay?

Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
It has become apparent to anyone not living under a rock that this sub-forum has disintegrated largely into myself, CHS89, WeLuvPA, tinman, and some others bickering about political corruption (or lackthereof) either in Scranton/Lackawanna County or Wilkes-Barre/Luzerne County. This is obviously detracting from other forum business and irking some to the point of not coming on here anymore. I notice that the Pittsburgh sub-forum has its own "sticky" thread created for an "Off-Topic" thread to isolate all of the political brawling and brou-ha-has into one specific thread so it wouldn't spill over into other threads. This might be a great idea for us to pursue here as well, especially since our dicussions can become so heated/ RAWR! LOL! I know Yac is definitely tired of us all arguing so much (I found out personally the other day), so this new thread might be a good idea. It could be moderated/censored less strictly than the rest of the threads to let everyone get on and off their soapboxes WITHOUT irking others who couldn't care less about the poltical climate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

First off how's it going dwight, I think it is a good idea because some of these debates are taking away from the forum. all I can say is with some people you can debate, show facts, opinions, till your blue in the face and it doesn't matter. I for one have a great interest in the political climate of our area because it affects us. Every time I bring up the train issue, revitalization of scranton,NEPA, as a whole, there is always someone to shoot it down, I don't take it personal because some people don't know any better, some people are stuck in the old ways from 30 years ago and politics is politics
they are all pretty much corrupt in one way or another. So alot of times I won't comment on certain things " it's not worth it" the "sticky" thread off topic is probably going to be a free for all for people to vent, I guess it could work but just hope it doesn't get out of hand.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,453 times
Hooray swb for thinking of this http://www.awallacedesigns.com/images/iagree.gif (broken link)

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,000 times
The problem is that you have one person in particular posting opposing views on EVERY post. It's getting pretty tired.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
Not stickies. Ban hammers.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,453 times
Yes luna I agree. It gets a little tiring reading or writing a post only to have the same person be negative constantly. Must be fun to live with someone like that!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:57 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
I thinks it perfect for a sticky.
Its funny no one likes to hear the bad side of things but they do exist. Do I like Scranton yes I love it. There is no revitalization to speak of, the city is buried in debt and the city gov't just keeps spending and spending. NO train not even the one from heaven can bail us out now. Sorry but the city is being plowed into the ground. The poconos come on for those of us that have lived here for over 25 years can see whats happened there. I call it like I see it and its not all daiseys, so what. If it was the way that some want to see it, then the NEPA region would be a paradise full of hip young yuppies going back and forth to work on a train and restoring old houses and raising families on tree lined streets where there is no crime and nothing wrong. Its not!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM

188 posts, read 156,520 times
Cool Stay On Task

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post

I vote yea. I think if you can promote good debate its a good thing. Also, if you can help keep the debate centered around the subject of the original thread, this is very positive. Being new to the scene, I notice that we seem to have these political debates on the "Who has the Best Pizza" thread. By the same token, lets keep the Pizza out of Politics.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I don't think it's fair to single out Dan though, as I myself have noticeably irked people in the past as well with my rose-colored glasses. I agree with Dan on more points than I disagree with him on. Some major points we disagree with are the commuter train (if it ever comes) being a boon or burden, whether or not we should be focused on revitalizing the downtown and/or parks at the expense of the neighborhoods, whether DohertyDeceit/Legion of Doom and their followers are assets or detriments to the city overall, and whether or not one man, Mr. Doherty, is single-handedly responsible for the downfall of society (this one is obviously more tongue-in-cheek! LOL!)

I actually respect Dan for voicing his opinions honestly, even when they're unpopular. I do this on the NJ board and end up running away in fright once the red dots, name-calling, accusations of "trolling", etc. start to arise, as I don't want to ultimately get banned from this forum the way some other annoying yet harmless feather-rufflers have, and I know I've been walking on thin ice as of late.

You should always stand up for your convictions, even if they're unpopular. Dan irks me because everything that goes wrong in the city is automatically "the mayor's fault," when in reality most of it is due to other external economic forces. On the contrary, Scranton's image as a city has improved greatly during my brief tenure on Earth; I can still recall the era of Scranton's Hill Section being a haven for violent crime and the city being nominated as runner-up for "Armpit of America," evidenced by the prostitution and blight on Lackawanna Avenue. Now in 2008 a lot of people are having faith in the city "rounding the corner" again. I'm admittedly too young to recollect anything before the early-1990s in the city, but I think pining for the "Scranton of yesteryear" is stupid anyways; cities need to look forwards, not backwards. If Scranton today were the Scranton of the mid-1990s I'd NEVER consider staying in NEPA after college to raise my family and open a business. Obviously somebody somewhere is doing SOMETHING right if someone as "picky" as I am sees the city, overall, headed in an UPWARD direction (and I don't mean the debtload, either, Dan! LOL!)

Say what you will about the downtown area, but it is weathering our pseudo-recession right now much better than Downtown Wilkes-Barre, where a Dunkin' Donuts, billiards hall, night club, Irish pub, and Hallmark store have all gone under (or will soon go under) over the course of the past year alone, along with what I learned last night at work from an "insider" about the proposed new Starbucks coming to South Main Street falling through. What are Scranton's casualties? Poochie, which is the result of catering to a niche market that was far too narrow? A few worthless stores in the Steamtown Mall that are the result of poor REGIONAL long-range planning (Montage sprawl) along with changing consumer tastes? Scranton is handling the pseudo-recession MUCH better than Wilkes-Barre is, yet you don't hear Mayor Tom Leighton garnering NEARLY as much criticism as Mayor Doherty in Scranton. Why is that?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-24-2008 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Whats Wilkes-Barres debt load? Did the mayor raise taxes 25% then give out raises to his cabinet and management. Is mayor Leighton trying to break unions and is he screwing the PD and SFD? Just a few items but they are big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania