Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,890 times

Advertisements

As someone who grew up in Scranton, studied film, and always had a directors eye...I thin kScranton is a fantastic setting for filmakers.

Will it replace Hollywood..NO...NYC...NO...but films along the lines of Mystic River or other urban seetings could do much worse than Scranton and surrounding communities.

Also, as someone, who's spent many hours working in entertainment and working in studios...I'd welcome the opportunity to come back to my roots and work in Scranton.

I'll definately be monitoring this situation closely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 05:15 AM

28 posts, read 103,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
^^^ You and Deedee Ramone have a great deal in common, it seems......much the same.....
So, with that logic, anyone who agrees with you is telling the truth, but people who know the facts (and present them) and disagree with you are therefore the same person?

The facts are this: Lackawana sunk a ton of money into an albatross.

The locals had no say in it.

Let the NYC carpet bagging commence.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:20 AM

28 posts, read 103,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Scranton has been the butt of cruel jokes for far too long; it's our turn to shine again!
Oh yeah, CLERKS did so much for Red bank, NJ.

Good luck finding this film on video, let alone theaters.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee ramone View Post
So, with that logic, anyone who agrees with you is telling the truth, but people who know the facts (and present them) and disagree with you are therefore the same person?

I didn't take a position. What are you talking about?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, CLERKS did so much for Red bank, NJ.

Good luck finding this film on video, let alone theaters.
I never even saw Clerks, but folks on the NJ forum (from which I'm now voluntarily-banished) RAVE about Red Bank, so it must be doing something right.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:33 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:

I don't think this is a virtue of "right" and "wrong." Quite honestly, NOBODY knows how this project will turn out as of yet. Thus far, DeeDee, you and CDominic portrayed Sorvino's film in a bleak light for "taking advantage of Lackawanna County." From the perspective of WasPA and myself, there is at least some reason to be optimistic about Scranton landing a new film office, regardless of the cost. Will the upcoming films pay off in helping to promote the city's image? Who knows? Will "The Trouble With Cali" be a flop? Who knows? After the film is released, you two could be right and the two of us could be wrong; as of right now, there's no way to draw that distinction. I'm going to go out on a limb and title myself "Youth Optimist Coordinator for the City of Scranton," as I try to see potential on every corner. Most locals are skeptical and cynical about ANY far-flung idea. For a city that's shed about 70,000 people in the past 50 years, we need to grasp at ANYTHING possible to help bring some faith back to our city!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 AM

87 posts, read 258,493 times
Also there are plenty of times where a certain actor might not be at the height of his popularity here in the states, but may be a huge name in some random country. And when the film is released on video, it might do huge sales. I'm not saying this is true of Sorvino's film but it's a possibility.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:04 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I'm very proud that Sorvino chose our hometown as his "Own" in the West End of Monroe Cty.
I've watched him many times on TV. I hope whatever he does has great success.........
Don't we wish that for anyone who would invest in our area and towns?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:29 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Since this thread has been dug up from the ruins, can anybody tell me when this debacle is coming out? The taxpayers of Lackawanna County's money is in this project and it hasn't seen the light of day yet? I mean it doesn't take 2 years to make a low budget B movie. I think we have been duped.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Sorvino hasn't "invested" anything here....he's a leech, and he sees us as a bunch of coal-town hicks who will be "awed" his "celebrity" and he takes us to the cleaners for grants from our tax money! Even if this movie is completed, it will never amount to anything...this isn't even a "B" movie, its probably more of a "C" movie at best and will never be in theaters.

Sorvino should hit the bricks and sell his snake-oil somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania