Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times

Advertisements

Over the past six weeks or so, I have been working hard on what has been discussed previously in the Genesis threads, and have teamed up with a Leadership Lackawanna class to help improve the center. While my personal efforts have been more widespread, Leadership Lackawanna is focused on two specific goals; to raise $15,000 to help ease operating costs and to coordinate two clean-up weekends (March 29/30 and April 5/6, see attached for contact information. Volunteers needed, especially certified electricians, carpenters, pipe fitters, etc.).

To answer specific questions raised in the past, it may help some to know that Genesis does operate under guidelines that dictate how much space a specific animal requires, so while some pens may seemed cramped in terms of modern zoos, the Sanctuary is indeed providing adequate room as determined by an outside agency. Also, the majority of these animals are in their final years, and are simply being given a safe place to finish out their lives. Many have been abused, cast-off, captured, or simply neglected, and may certainly exhibit signs of their past traumas; bad temperament, poor physical condition, modified behavior, etc.

Director Margaret Miller and an assistant director both work on a volunteer basis, with four paid part-time employees helping to run the Sanctuary. I do not know if it would be proper to release the actual dollar amount of how much is covered out-of-pocket by the staff, but I will say that it approaches my yearly salary. The center has received a $50,000 donation from the city annually, and operating costs are around 80k, so you do the math. Some complaints have been made as to the organization or cleanliness of the Sanctuary, and unfortunately this boils down to time and money, one of the reasons why Leadership Lackawanna is scheduling a clean up in addition to the fund raising. The building will be receiving some much-needed repair and reorganization to meet the specific needs of the center; think HGTV for wildlife.

I know some have raised concerns that ‘throwing money at the problem’ is not the answer. These people may find comfort in knowing that after the last time that Genesis was promised a large sum of money, plans were designed for a full expansion to meet the growing needs of the Sanctuary. These plans are complete, in the can, and ready to go, as soon as the funding becomes available.

In closing, I ask everyone to look over the attached letter, and to please consider making a donation or volunteering on one or both of the clean up weekends, which again are on March 29/30 and April 5/6. Please contact Desiree Ranella at dranella@scrantonchamber.com as I will not be personally organizing the effort.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Genesis Wildlife Sanctuary/Nay Aug Zoo UPDATE-gws_sponsor_letter.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 PM

325 posts, read 806,527 times
Scrantonluna--thanks for the update. I wish you the best of luck with your efforts!

As you probably recall, I believe that the single most effective step that could be taken to improve the center is to significantly reduce the number of animals housed there. In fact, I think it would probably make a great deal of sense to hire an experienced person for a year or so whose only job (either full- or part-time) would be to try to get a large fraction of the GWC animals placed at reputable zoos or sanctuaries. Even if this person were paid a salary, the long-term savings could be quite significant. Also, the transferred animals would end up in better quarters, the remaining animals would end up with a lot more space, and there would be more dollars available (per animal) to care for the animals remaining at the center. As you noted, many of the animals at the center are aged, but there are some young ones too (for example, the zoo's website lists several young lemurs). It is especially important that these younger animals receive a fair shot at a decent life. I hope your organization will give some thought to this suggestion, as it may be a way to make the $15,000 go as far as it possibly can! (And if you do decide to press for a reduction in the number of animals, my husband and I would be happy to contribute to the cause.)

One question: do you know what "outside agency" has determined that the animals have sufficient space? I know that the center has passed its USDA inspection, but USDA standards are quite minimal. I know the PA Game Commission also has regulations pertaining to the housing of wild animals. I'm asking because if some other agency has inspected the center, I'd be interested in checking into their space requirements.

I'd just like to close by saying that I know the folks at the center really care about their animals. I just think they're trying to do a job that is far, far larger than their resources will allow.

Last edited by mbs7; 03-01-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times
A greatly overlooked and untapped source of donations would be the many non profits that do business in the city...They reap the benefits of many exemptions, maybe they would like to contribute...

Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times
An afterthought... Has the city actually cut the check to Genesis?? There was some concern over the past few years about the citys contribution..Seems the photo op of the opening was used, then the center became less than an afterthought..

Old 03-01-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
An afterthought... Has the city actually cut the check to Genesis?? There was some concern over the past few years about the citys contribution..Seems the photo op of the opening was used, then the center became less than an afterthought..
As far as I know, the city has been making it's annual contribution as promised.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs7 View Post
As you probably recall, I believe that the single most effective step that could be taken to improve the center is to significantly reduce the number of animals housed there. In fact, I think it would probably make a great deal of sense to hire an experienced person for a year or so whose only job (either full- or part-time) would be to try to get a large fraction of the GWC animals placed at reputable zoos or sanctuaries.
MBS, one thing to keep in mind is that some of these animals have been either rejected by zoos or even abandoned by zoos due to their age, health, or habits. You can't just farm them out to other zoos or sanctuaries. Genesis is the last stop for many of these animals, and for some, the ONLY stop.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
MBS, one thing to keep in mind is that some of these animals have been either rejected by zoos or even abandoned by zoos due to their age, health, or habits. You can't just farm them out to other zoos or sanctuaries. Genesis is the last stop for many of these animals, and for some, the ONLY stop.
I understand what you're saying. However, I have been looking into this situation for some time and I have read virtually every Scranton Times-Tribune article concerning the center. If you do the same, I think you will find that the center has, over the years, acquired some very young animals. (For example, one of the cougars came to the center as a baby.) These young animals have been living in crowded conditions for most of their lives: it would be a mistake to think of the center as a sort of rest home in which aging, nearly sedentary animals are living out their final few weeks or months. Yes, some of the animals are quite old, but not all. And even some of the "elderly" animals have been living there for a number of years, in substandard conditions.

As for animals with health or behavior problems, I suspect that some (maybe most) of them would benefit greatly from an improved environment: if there are sanctuaries or zoos that are willing to help them, the animals should be given a chance for a better life. Some of these animals have probably never had a chance to live in really decent conditions. It's hard for me to say how many of the center's animals have had difficult lives right from the start, since it is almost impossible to trace their exact history--the newspaper articles do not usually identify the source of the animals. (The only exception to this that I can recall is an article that identified the owner of an illegally acquired "pet" monkey that was transferred to the Genesis center after it was confiscated.) I remember one article in which the reporter asked where some new additions had come from and the person she was interviewing refused to identify the zoo from which the new animals had been acquired. (I don't know why she refused--it might have been part of the deal with the zoo from which the animals were acquired.)

At any rate, I am not convinced that every effort has really been made to place these animals in better homes. I think the folks at the center have their hands full taking care of the animals and so cannot devote as much time as would be necessary to responsibly place a large number of animals in good sanctuaries. I also suspect that they may be too personally attached to some of the animals to transfer them even if really great habitats could be found for them. (I hope this is not the case, but it strikes me as a real possibility.) Also, given the very small size of the old building, there was really no good reason for the center to acquire any animals beyond those which it owned when it moved into the old zoo building. Yet some new animals were acquired after the center moved to the Nay Aug location.

Please remember that while zoos may be reluctant to take "problem" animals, there ARE other sanctuaries devoted to caring for aged and/or abused animals. Some of the best sanctuaries have many acres of land, unlike Genesis, which is occupying a small, old, rundown building that really wasn't such a great place even 50 years ago. I know that many sanctuaries are struggling for funds, and I freely admit that finding good homes for a large fraction of the Genesis animals would be a time-consuming and difficult job. But I also think that it is a job that, for a relatively small amount of funding, could result in very great savings for the center and in much-improved living conditions for the animals--both those that go to new homes and those that remain at the center. Frankly, if I were in charge of the money the city provides, I would insist that a portion of it be used for this purpose. Even placing just a few of the largest, most expensive-to-maintain animals (e.g. the big cats) would result in significant savings and would also free up some much-needed space for the smaller animals. If helping the animals is really the goal here, then trying to get them into better homes seems like a good idea to me.

Even if a new, enlarged center is eventually built, limits will still have to be set on the number and type of animals it can accept. Believe me, I understand the impulse to help animals: I have rescued a few myself over the years. But we all have to set realistic limits. And the plain fact is that the problems at the Genesis center have been made worse because the center has accepted more animals than it can humanely care for. If limits on the type and number of animals are not set, then even if the center's building is enlarged, in just a short time we will be right back here having this same debate all over again because the new, enlarged center will have become just as crowded as the current one is now. It is really, I think, a matter of good, old common sense.

Last edited by mbs7; 03-01-2008 at 11:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 11:09 PM

All I can tell you is that I am aware of no plans at this time to relocate animals to other zoos or sanctuaries from Genesis.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
All I can tell you is that I am aware of no plans at this time to relocate animals to other zoos or sanctuaries from Genesis.
Okay, well, thank you for that information and thank you also, for trying to make a positive difference at the Genesis center.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Scrantonluna: I just wanted to add that, while I disagree with your approach to this problem, it really seems as if your heart is in the right place. Also, it's clear that you've been doing a lot more than just talking about the problem and I can certainly respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania