Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times

Advertisements

Wilkes-Barre's long awaited visitors center will finally break ground this spring. I for one think they should go all out, and rebuild the entire Market st Square. I propose "Market st Victorian Village" a small victorian shopping village (think Cape May) instead of the ugly parking lot that is currently there, a walkable cobblestone or brick pedestrian "square" lined with gas-lamps, benches, flower baskets, and a fountain right in the middle ect. Instead of that ugly building that used to house The Movie Gallery, I say bulldoze it and in its place build a old victoian style fascaded village with pastel colored store fronts, maybe a bed and breakfast, an ice-cream shop, art store ect. a little "victorian village" right in downtown W-B! Imagine stepping off of the future train in Wilkes-Barre Station, eating lunch at the newly restored station restaraunt and then stepping outside to a quaint little village in the heart of the city. Sitting on a bench on a warm summer night under the glow of a gas lamp eating an ice cream cone listening to the children play over by the fountain with the cities skyline in the background. One can only dream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Wilkes-Barre's long awaited visitors center will finally break ground this spring. I for one think they should go all out, and rebuild the entire Market st Square. I propose "Market st Victorian Village" a small victorian shopping village (think Cape May) instead of the ugly parking lot that is currently there, a walkable cobblestone or brick pedestrian "square" lined with gas-lamps, benches, flower baskets, and a fountain right in the middle ect. Instead of that ugly building that used to house The Movie Gallery, I say bulldoze it and in its place build a old victoian style fascaded village with pastel colored store fronts, maybe a bed and breakfast, an ice-cream shop, art store ect. a little "victorian village" right in downtown W-B! Imagine stepping off of the future train in Wilkes-Barre Station, eating lunch at the newly restored station restaraunt and then stepping outside to a quaint little village in the heart of the city. Sitting on a bench on a warm summer night under the glow of a gas lamp eating an ice cream cone listening to the children play over by the fountain with the cities skyline in the background. One can only dream!
How are you and I not married yet?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM

15 posts, read 47,812 times
Default Democrat dreams are illogical

Quote:
Wilkes-Barre's long awaited visitors center will finally break ground this spring. I for one think they should go all out, and rebuild the entire Market st Square. I propose "Market st Victorian Village" a small victorian shopping village (think Cape May) instead of the ugly parking lot that is currently there, a walkable cobblestone or brick pedestrian "square" lined with gas-lamps, benches, flower baskets, and a fountain right in the middle ect...
Doesn't the county own that property? Yep. That isn't even Wilkes-Barre's project. You don't know even what you are talking about.

How about this, we let the free market do its work... if people move here and pay some taxes, then we can rebuild.

#$*@ Democrats want to tax everyone to pay for their foolishness. Tell Mayor Leighton, the county commissioners and our Legislature not to bury us any further in debt, and perhaps we will be able to take on projects like this.

In the meantime, as long as we have these greedy mismanaging meatheads in charge, rest assured there won't be enough money for a project like that.

Keep dreamin'. Just shows you don't know how the world works.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Default Check yourself! before you wreck yourself!

You're pretty negative, I chose to be positive Is there anything wrong with dreaming? I believe you need to invest in the future of our city! To make it a better place, to make it attractable to potential, future residents. What is your option? Let it decay to the point that it looks like inter-city Detriot? Projects like this do not rest only on the shoulders of W-B residents or county residents. Everybody screamed bloody murder when they first proposed building the arena. Oh it'll never work!, oh the taxes will go through the roof ect! And just look at the undisputed success it has been.Other cities in Pa. have very successful major projects. For example: Easton has The Crayola Factory museum, Williamsport is the home of the Little League World Series, even Scranton has Steamtown, and on and on. So why not Wilkes-Barre? Why is it so much to ask that W-B be included? And as far as Democrats tax, tax, tax. You need to check your history! The defeceit that Republican George Bush has run up is the largest one in the entire history of the U.S.A.! And I'm neither a democrat or a republican. I think they're all crooks. I'm just pointing out a fact.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Quote:
You're pretty negative, I chose to be positive Is there anything wrong with dreaming? I believe you need to invest in the future of our city! To make it a better place, to make it attractable to potential, future residents. What is your option? Let it decay to the point that it looks like inter-city Detriot? Projects like this do not rest only on the shoulders of W-B residents or county residents. Everybody screamed bloody murder when they first proposed building the arena. Oh it'll never work!, oh the taxes will go through the roof ect! And just look at the undisputed success it has been.Other cities in Pa. have very successful major projects. For example: Easton has The Crayola Factory museum, Williamsport is the home of the Little League World Series, even Scranton has Steamtown, and on and on. So why not Wilkes-Barre? Why is it so much to ask that W-B be included? And as far as Democrats tax, tax, tax. You need to check your history! The defeceit that Republican George Bush has run up is the largest one in the entire history of the U.S.A.! And I'm neither a democrat or a republican. I think they're all crooks. I'm just pointing out a fact.
I agree and keep up the good posts

Old 03-07-2008, 07:27 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times
The 'free market' has been fiddlin' with that property for three/odd decades; the timing was wrong; it's now better unless the economic prospects created by 8 years of the nightmare presidency should throw us into a hideous tailspin.

I've never been a fan of the 'boulevard' system created post-Agnes although I 'get' the premise in facilitating movement into DT to increase DT populations; yet it ends up being auto-oriented (suburb in town) rather than part of the urban fabric. That might be okay for now...there's enough conventional 'urban fabric' to upgrade around and off the Square as it is.

....guess my point is that the re-use sommehow connect better to DT than does the Boulevard oriented office 'park' stuff does....and that the absolute right 'draw'/ attraction be installed there as the basis for the evolution of the Market St. block---something not in competition with Main St.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Dreams are great but one always wakes up to reality! Wilkes-Barre was a beautiful city when coal was king and Mr. Peanut roamed about public square. All good things come to an end, for Wilkes-Barre it has been a long slow process but has finally completed its transformation from family friendly to economically depressed on government sponsored life support.

Someday it will be clear that higher paying jobs is the way to bring back the masses of tax paying young families to Wilkes-Barre. It sad that the tax payers of the area are paying high school taxes for the benefits of other communities such as in the southern states to gleem their educated workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania