Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM

856 posts, read 705,265 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am a young person considering a move away from my native New Jersey primarily because of the cost of living here. I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions for me, if possible. I would be greatly appreciative for any insight anyone would be able to provide.

Essentially, I'm looking for the kind of place that time forgot. I'd like to live in a small town with a Main Street lined with good restaurants, coffee and/or tea shops, maybe a local bar or two, and some interesting shops. I'd like a town with a real community feel and recreational activities such as a walking path, hiking, and a lake for swimming or fishing.

What that, here are my questions:

1. Does such a place like I described exist in Northeastern Pennsylvania?
2. What is the cost of living in the area, let's say for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home with an acre of land and 1,800-2,200 square feet, in terms of both purchase cost and property taxes?
3. Should I move to the area as a young, single male who will be getting his start in a new job within the next year?
4. In terms of culture, what can I expect in the area?
5. What are the politics of the area, Republican or Democratic?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 04:06 PM

5,302 posts, read 6,187,626 times
There are 2 towns that come to mind: Jim Thorpe and Hawley. Both would be difficult commutes to either NYC or its NJ suburbs. If you are OK with going further west in PA, there are plenty of towns that would fit your requirements.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,271 times
You could also try Tunkhannock for that feel

Old 09-24-2017, 05:20 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,271 times
You could find a decent home if you do your research for about $100,000 with that much land and down to 60,000 or 70,000 if you take a smaller lot. The area is mostly hard line republican even though people will tell you it's democratic I know form being here most people think on the right. If you had a spot in Tunkhannock you could find a job south in the Scranton or Dickson City Area. In Jim Thorpe you're looking at Hazelton as the closest big area for jobs.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 PM

232 posts, read 278,791 times
Stroudsburg area

Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
"Who will be getting his start in a new job within the next year? Does this mean that you have a job that you will be starting or does it mean that you will be looking for a job? If you would be looking for a job; what skills do you have?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM

856 posts, read 705,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
"Who will be getting his start in a new job within the next year? Does this mean that you have a job that you will be starting or does it mean that you will be looking for a job? If you would be looking for a job; what skills do you have?
Excellent question. I am in the process of figuring out what I want to do, career wise. I am writing to places in a few different fields I might be interested in for informational interviews.

My backround is in political science, but I'm open-minded as to what's next for me.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 AM

342 posts, read 318,998 times
I would recommend getting a good job first, and then settling in a small town that is commutable to that job. Most high paying jobs are in NJ/NYC, so maybe commuting from Stroudsburg is your answer.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:51 AM

325 posts, read 582,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Hello all, I am a young person considering a move away from my native New Jersey primarily because of the cost of living here. I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions for me, if possible. I would be greatly appreciative for any insight anyone would be able to provide.

Essentially, I'm looking for the kind of place that time forgot. I'd like to live in a small town with a Main Street lined with good restaurants, coffee and/or tea shops, maybe a local bar or two, and some interesting shops. I'd like a town with a real community feel and recreational activities such as a walking path, hiking, and a lake for swimming or fishing.

What that, here are my questions:

1. Does such a place like I described exist in Northeastern Pennsylvania?
2. What is the cost of living in the area, let's say for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home with an acre of land and 1,800-2,200 square feet, in terms of both purchase cost and property taxes?
3. Should I move to the area as a young, single male who will be getting his start in a new job within the next year?
4. In terms of culture, what can I expect in the area?
5. What are the politics of the area, Republican or Democratic?

Thank you!
Do it, get out of NJ. Make it work somehow. I should'have done it years ago. I'm stuck here for now. Would love to get out of this state.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:45 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Excellent question. I am in the process of figuring out what I want to do, career wise. I am writing to places in a few different fields I might be interested in for informational interviews.

My backround is in political science, but I'm open-minded as to what's next for me.

Thank you all for the feedback!
Find what you are looking for first; then worry about where you want to live. It will be easier for us to make recommendations based on your travel time to and from work. You don't have to tell us specifically where you will work; but let us know what area. If you were to commute to NYC from PA; you would not have time left in your day to enjoy anything that our area might offer. You would spend 4 to 6 hours a day on the road and sometimes longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania