Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:16 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

While I know that we complain about lack of sun, too cold, not enough snow or too much snow; I think that we have it fairly good. When you look at what is happening in Houston or what happened with Sandy to our eastern seacoast; we have it good. Yes we have had extensive flooding and loss of life in our area; but, in general, our catastrophes are mild in comparison to others. Many on the Susquehanna will disagree and I have seen the flooding up there. I saw the river turn into an ocean in 1972 and much of Wilkes-Barre was under that ocean. But we have higher ground; those in these costal areas have no higher ground.

We also have very few tornadoes while I watch one spawn after another around Houston. When was the last time that people in our area felt an earthquake?

I just feel that, after watching what is happening; we are very lucky. I wish all the people in Texas good luck. I hope that they get all the help they need to rebuild. It is going to be long time before they will see dry ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:50 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
You started a thread!

I love Northeastern PA. I love it less than I used to because the walk through the woods to the spring is now private land. Someone bought many, many acres. They built a big house. I can no longer walk to the pond, past the hunter's small cabins, and to the spring.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
It's got good topography and I actually like that we get a polar dip in the jet stream frequently. With so many places getting way too hot the northern flow keeps us a bit cooler. I was just thinking recently as well how fortunate I am to be at the crest of a hill. Water can't settle around my house, it has no choice but to follow gravity down below me. The area also has all four seasons and one of the best fall foliage displays in the country. We're not near a fault line and the area is too hilly for Tornados to touch down too often and just far enough away from the ocean to avoid too many hurricanes. With beautiful landscapes all around the entire area it's great to be able to just drive and take it in.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:54 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Today we drove up to the Water Gap..It was Autumn like...my wife always loves to see the Delaware River in such a narrow venue.

On the way back on Rt.32 Pa. there is a 'High Water' Mark painted on the rocks from the Great Flood of August 19-20 1955.. I remember seeing it in it's original form since I was a kid, on our trips back to Trenton from 'back home' to WB..

This Marker, located about 5 or so miles North of Lumberville, (Black Bass Inn) has been kept up by someone over the years...they paint over the original lettering in the precise handwriting...pretty cool.

I am getting closer to Wilkes-Barre, Some of my family will be meeting @ Saints Peter and Paul Cemetery, the family plot...on Veterans Day to honor our families Veterans..

All the sights, smells, voices, of my childhood will come back to me in a great euphoric rush.

I'll smell pierogies, garlic, frying butter, wood/coal fires, mothballs ..The rotten egg sulphuric stank from the Mill Creek on a rare humid night...

whiskey on my father and Uncles breath, Old Spice, and Ben Gay too...

Lavender, mint, and bleach from my Babci's gnarled fingers, spearmint Gum from my Mom's Breath,

I will hear the dogs, ...Trixie, a female mutt who ate only cabbage, potatoes and neckbones yapping in a high shrill voice,

Pal, the smelly old Hunting Hound, who howled gloriously at a full moon, The clucking of the Hens, the crowing of the Rooster, until my Grandmother silenced them with the thwack of a well honed axe on a tree stump.

For this very reason, I will never shy of visiting the Cemetery, Things will always, for the most part, stay the same..

There will be no Condo or Wawa built next to my memories.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 08-27-2017 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You started a thread!

I love Northeastern PA. I love it less than I used to because the walk through the woods to the spring is now private land. Someone bought many, many acres. They built a big house. I can no longer walk to the pond, past the hunter's small cabins, and to the spring.
Time changes everything. Nothing remains the same; but that is 'progress'. I used to take my gun and dog and walk forever behind the house I grew up in; no more. But I also moved as I grew up and married. I'm not the same as I was when I was young.

If people prefer skiing and water parks over hunting and hiking; then this is the area for that. We still have many State Parks that people can go; just not that much available land as when we were young.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Time changes everything. Nothing remains the same; but that is 'progress'. I used to take my gun and dog and walk forever behind the house I grew up in; no more. But I also moved as I grew up and married. I'm not the same as I was when I was young.

If people prefer skiing and water parks over hunting and hiking; then this is the area for that. We still have many State Parks that people can go; just not that much available land as when we were young.
My brother used to ditch the car, a beetle, just off a road and we'd walk through the woods all day. He'd start a small fire and we'd burn a couple of hot dogs for lunch. If you ran into someone who owned the land, you just told them that you didn't mean any harm, but would be crossing in the other direction on the way back.

My dad took us to state parks to picnic, swim, and fish. Better yet, we went to creeks and down dusty old roads where there used to be something. Got lost a time or two, but he wouldn't admit it. I saw a lot of things one time because he wasn't going the same way twice.

My brother did the same thing. He pulled of the road once to show me old gas pumps. The kind you had to pump. He told me I'd never see them again, and he was right. I could never figure out where we were. Even he didn't remember. Somewhere in the wilds of PA.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:25 PM

Shades of our youth mr.magoo. I remember the Old Spice and Bengay, but also apple pie.

I can't remember the name of the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. I know how to get there, so I guess that's all that matters. It's the short, steep, road on the left. I feel sorry for her (grandmother) because she was buried with the Welsh Protestants--her husband's family.

Right now, I've got a Choward's Violet in my mouth. It reminds me of the news stand on the square. And high school.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
It's got good topography and I actually like that we get a polar dip in the jet stream frequently. With so many places getting way too hot the northern flow keeps us a bit cooler. I was just thinking recently as well how fortunate I am to be at the crest of a hill. Water can't settle around my house, it has no choice but to follow gravity down below me. The area also has all four seasons and one of the best fall foliage displays in the country. We're not near a fault line and the area is too hilly for Tornados to touch down too often and just far enough away from the ocean to avoid too many hurricanes. With beautiful landscapes all around the entire area it's great to be able to just drive and take it in.
I'm in love with you! Don't tell your wife.

If I have it right, I think I know where you live. I recognized the view from a picture you once posted. A relative lives near there. My husband's grandmother lived a couple of blocks away. His sister lives on Kent Lane. No view from there, but it's not far away.

Some people don't appreciate that sort of thing. My family lived on Grant Street when I was little. When I was 12, we moved to the top of South Street. What a view! There were mountains on one side and the valley on the other. We could see every small town fireworks display in the area. Is that Edwardsville?

You can keep your dip. I usually walk around with no shoes until mid September, but my toes are cold!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My brother used to ditch the car, a beetle, just off a road and we'd walk through the woods all day. He'd start a small fire and we'd burn a couple of hot dogs for lunch. If you ran into someone who owned the land, you just told them that you didn't mean any harm, but would be crossing in the other direction on the way back.

My dad took us to state parks to picnic, swim, and fish. Better yet, we went to creeks and down dusty old roads where there used to be something. Got lost a time or two, but he wouldn't admit it. I saw a lot of things one time because he wasn't going the same way twice.

My brother did the same thing. He pulled of the road once to show me old gas pumps. The kind you had to pump. He told me I'd never see them again, and he was right. I could never figure out where we were. Even he didn't remember. Somewhere in the wilds of PA.
I use to pick up beetles in my younger days! They were easier to lift when they had the round bumpers; they did not cut into my hands. If I got mine stuck; I simply jumped out and lifted it to where there was traction. I loved the two beetles I had: I think one was a 1970 (round bumper) and one was a 74 (no longer round bumper)? They originally sold for just over $2,000. I put on a little over 100,000 miles on both of them.

They would do about 76 mph on flat roadways and it (then) cost me less than $3 to fill them up. Their biggest problem was their heater. The engines were air cooled so they had no antifreeze and their heaters were simply 'boxes' around the exhaust. The heater boxes rusted out and then they would no longer warm up the car. I specifically remember one trip back home from Acapulco and jumping in my beetle at Newark in November. I froze and did not feel any heat until I hit the PA border. Of course it did not help that I was recuperating from Montezuma's revenge I caught in Mexico City! Don't ever try that Montezuma's revenge; it is very hard to get both ends in the hopper at the same time!

Yes; people were much friendlier many years ago. They were also more forgiving if you were on their land. I think that was before lawyers and insurance?

Old 08-27-2017, 11:37 PM

VW's were cold. I remember. Both of my older brothers had them.

My younger brother's car was seriously rusting out, so I was a little frightened when we drove somewhere. I could see the road through the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania