Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 07:57 AM

46 posts, read 53,352 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Does anyone here know about the tax laws in PA, specifically about inheritance laws of PA? If someone receives a monetary gift, does the state tax it? Also, is real estate that that is inherited taxed? WHat if the real estate is sold?
Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 08:22 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
The answers to your questions (2 through 4) as far as I understand them are: Yes, Yes, Yes

PA is not a good place to inherit stuff. Rates vary by willie's relationship to the willer

Here are two links. A simple search using PA inheritance tax will get you more info and sites that explain it.

https://www.thebalance.com/overview-...x-laws-3505422

Inheritance Tax

Old 05-30-2018, 08:53 AM

46 posts, read 53,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
The answers to your questions (2 through 4) as far as I understand them are: Yes, Yes, Yes

PA is not a good place to inherit stuff. Rates vary by willie's relationship to the willer

Here are two links. A simple search using PA inheritance tax will get you more info and sites that explain it.

https://www.thebalance.com/overview-...x-laws-3505422

Inheritance Tax
Thank you. Sorry--I forgot to mention I am not a resident of PA. I am in NJ, but moving to Ohio. The person I am leaving money to however, is in PA.
I wonder how that would change things. I guess I need to speak with a lawyer.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM

273 posts, read 318,221 times
If you’re talking about a sizable sum of money (many tens or hundreds of thousands), it would definitely be worth your time to speak with an estate attorney. Not only would an attorney be able to answer your original questions, he/she may also be able to suggest alternative strategies that you haven’t considered—such as moving the property into an irrevocable trust, etc. Everyone’s situation is different and a good estate attorney will know the right questions to ask.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Amy as already noted if it's sizable sum talk to the lawyer as much as I hate to say that.

If the gift is to Children or Grandchildren AFAIK there is no inheritance tax as long as you live X years after it was gifted.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:16 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1022 View Post
Hello,
Does anyone here know about the tax laws in PA, specifically about inheritance laws of PA? If someone receives a monetary gift, does the state tax it? Also, is real estate that that is inherited taxed? WHat if the real estate is sold?
Thanks so much.
Gifts received are not taxed in PA. Receiving a gift is not taxable to the IRS, either.

I don’t believe that an inheritance received by a PA resident is taxable in PA if it’s from someone in another state. It may be subject to NJ’s inheritance tax, as you are a NJ resident. Or OH, if OH has such a tax.

Coalman is right regarding gifts. If someone makes a gift, and then dies (I think within two years of making the gift), the gifted amount is part of the PA inheritance return and is taxable. This only applies, though, if the gifting person who dies (the decedent) is a PA resident.

The receipt of a gift or an inheritance is not usually taxable to anyone, anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania