Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times

Advertisements

According to a couple real estate agents feedback there are PHillycentric and NYcentric towns and developments where each region tends to migrate towards?

Can anyone verify this? What are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 04:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Do you mean second homes or an actual permanent relocation? I know that a lot of folks from the Philly area relocate to south central and north central PA. In north central PA they are called "flatlanders."

Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
From Philly it is easy to jump off the Northeastern extension of the turnpike in Carbon and western Monroe Co. Carbon County has cheaper school taxes. But, for NYC'ers, they come in on I-80 and it is just too much extra time to settle down that far out. Many NYC'ers want to settle as close to the NJ border as possible.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
From Philly it is easy to jump off the Northeastern extension of the turnpike in Carbon and western Monroe Co. Carbon County has cheaper school taxes. But, for NYC'ers, they come in on I-80 and it is just too much extra time to settle down that far out. Many NYC'ers want to settle as close to the NJ border as possible.
Correct from what Ive been told Lake Harmony,Split Rock, Jim Thorpe,Albrightsville, White Haven are more Phillycentric. Stroudsburg, Bushkill etc etc NYC. meld in between.

I tought it was interesting that the FOX station in Wilkes Barre used their territorial rights to have the cable companies remove both NYC Fox and Philly Fox stations from airing in the Poconos. Huge thumbs up for that Fox station to air Eagles Games and not Giants games.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:

How about Mount Pocono,Pocono Summit , Pocon Lake etc . That's more in between. NYC or Philly bias?

Old 09-15-2018, 09:27 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Correct from what Ive been told Lake Harmony,Split Rock, Jim Thorpe,Albrightsville, White Haven are more Phillycentric. Stroudsburg, Bushkill etc etc NYC. meld in between.

I tought it was interesting that the FOX station in Wilkes Barre used their territorial rights to have the cable companies remove both NYC Fox and Philly Fox stations from airing in the Poconos. Huge thumbs up for that Fox station to air Eagles Games and not Giants games.
We used to get the Mummers parade when I was a kid... until they took it away and started throwing NY programming at us. That was a long time ago.

I don't know why any self respecting Pennsylvanian would want to watch a Giants game when the Eagles or Steelers are playing.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
How about Mount Pocono,Pocono Summit , Pocon Lake etc . That's more in between. NYC or Philly bias?

Those areas are predominately NYC transplants. It might be because of aggressive sales tactics that pushed the 'short' commute and 'soon to be here' passenger rail service. Of course it did not take long to find out they were myths. But, by then, communities were established and they kept coming.

Mt. Pocono is one of the most diverse communities one can find anyplace in our Country.

While there are other options to travel to Philadelphia; most, that felt they wanted to visit or commute home, stayed close to the Turnpike. I do have a retired neighbor that is originally form Philadelphia and there are others in our area; but most transplants I meet are from NYC.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We used to get the Mummers parade when I was a kid... until they took it away and started throwing NY programming at us. That was a long time ago.

I don't know why any self respecting Pennsylvanian would want to watch a Giants game when the Eagles or Steelers are playing.
MetLife Stadium is only an hour drive from Stroudsburg whereas Veterans Memorial Stadium is a two hour drive. It makes sense that there are more Giants and Jets fans in Monroe County since those are the two most local teams.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
I'm a little before JT. That extra 40 miles on I80 is certainly a deterrent.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I'm a little before JT. That extra 40 miles on I80 is certainly a deterrent.

It is a deterrent if one would plan to visit or commute to work. If somebody has no ties and doesn't care if they ever go back; then that would be different. Moving is a personal decision.

You have to do your homework and you have to try to figure your future needs - otherwise you will be unhappy and could lose a lot of time and money.

By the way; are you pretty content where you live? Just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania