Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,767,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is a deterrent if one would plan to visit or commute to work. If somebody has no ties and doesn't care if they ever go back; then that would be different. Moving is a personal decision.

You have to do your homework and you have to try to figure your future needs - otherwise you will be unhappy and could lose a lot of time and money.

By the way; are you pretty content where you live? Just asking.
I’m grateful to not do the commute every day, simply fighting Jersey traffic in he evening rush is soul killing.

I love everything about where we live. My community is a bit secluded with amazing natural beauty but there’s nothing that’s “too far” from my perspective. I don’t mind a 20 mile trip to food shop or driving 45 minutes to shop at a mall. PA “traffic” is noting in comparison to NYC. Long as I’m moving, I’m good.

ETA: I was very sorry to read of your wife’s passing. My thoughts are with you and your son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 03:26 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I’m grateful to not do the commute every day, simply fighting Jersey traffic in he evening rush is soul killing.

I love everything about where we live. My community is a bit secluded with amazing natural beauty but there’s nothing that’s “too far” from my perspective. I don’t mind a 20 mile trip to food shop or driving 45 minutes to shop at a mall. PA “traffic” is noting in comparison to NYC. Long as I’m moving, I’m good.

ETA: I was very sorry to read of your wife’s passing. My thoughts are with you and your son.

First; thank you!

When you do commute; how many hours do you typically spend on the road? In your community do you find more transplants from Philadelphia than from NYC? It isn't very far to jump on the Turnpike from where you're located. Also; is there an end in sight where you will retire or where you will work from your home?

I am glad you like your home; sorry that you have such a long commute! That is why we chose Swiftwater because we wanted to be close to everything. After spending 100,000 miles a year in a big truck I really enjoyed a five minute ride to work.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
First; thank you!

When you do commute; how many hours do you typically spend on the road? In your community do you find more transplants from Philadelphia than from NYC? It isn't very far to jump on the Turnpike from where you're located. Also; is there an end in sight where you will retire or where you will work from your home?

I am glad you like your home; sorry that you have such a long commute! That is why we chose Swiftwater because we wanted to be close to everything. After spending 100,000 miles a year in a big truck I really enjoyed a five minute ride to work.

Interestingly, we have a varied mix of NYC, NJ and folks from Philly in my community. People my age who are raising a young family and work in the LV or down towards Philadelphia or retirees from NY/NJ. Basically, everyone in our development is from somewhere besides the Poconos.

As a union member I'm pretty close to my 20 for a full pension. Honestly, I'm on the fence about how fast I'll be looking to leave once I hit it. I'm not opposed to working in LV or Philadelphia and doing the daily commute. Even taking a good 1/3 or more cut in pay is not a big deal. But all my fringe benefits make it hard to walk away. For example, my medical, dental, vision and prescription is 100% employer funded. I also have no copays or other out of pocket costs as long as I stay in the network. I've not had a problem finding providers out by me as the insurance switches to an Aetna plan once you leave the 5 boros. Looking at some potential employers, like ESU (I'm in the admin side of academia), the pay isn't horrid but the insurance costs are crazy.

When we first moved out there, almost 6 years ago, I did 5 days a week. About a year into it, I started spending a night or two at my parents'. Then my job adjusted me to onsite 3 days weekly with 3 Fridays of the month off. My role has changed and I'm back to 5 days a week onsite since April. I've gone back to going home 2x a week sometimes 3 in the summer.

Normally, I get on the road by 4:45a-5 and am at my desk between 7:30-9a depending on the traffic conditions, if I stopped for gas or potty, etc. Usually, it's 8:30ish on an average day. Some days I acutally need to be at work by 6 which means I get on the road around 3:15. I can't chance being late for an early start.

Coming home, I'm out 5-6p most days. It's about 45 minutes from my job to the GWB via the Cross Bronx. Then depending on Jersey, I'm usually home in about 3-3 1/2 hours. Some days a bit more, usually because I'll need a potty break. It's a grand total of 124 miles each way.

We looked at many homes in Monroe. Often, the ones we really liked had outrageous tax bills attached. Those that had lower taxes, we didn't like the particular areas. We were actually ok with the higher tax bills, within reason of course. We just felt that compared to the lower taxes and much bigger lots in Carbon the savings between house and taxes was worth it to have that much more space. We also bought the lots on either side of us to ensure we won't have neighbors too, too close.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, we have a varied mix of NYC, NJ and folks from Philly in my community. People my age who are raising a young family and work in the LV or down towards Philadelphia or retirees from NY/NJ. Basically, everyone in our development is from somewhere besides the Poconos.

As a union member I'm pretty close to my 20 for a full pension. Honestly, I'm on the fence about how fast I'll be looking to leave once I hit it. I'm not opposed to working in LV or Philadelphia and doing the daily commute. Even taking a good 1/3 or more cut in pay is not a big deal. But all my fringe benefits make it hard to walk away. For example, my medical, dental, vision and prescription is 100% employer funded. I also have no copays or other out of pocket costs as long as I stay in the network. I've not had a problem finding providers out by me as the insurance switches to an Aetna plan once you leave the 5 boros. Looking at some potential employers, like ESU (I'm in the admin side of academia), the pay isn't horrid but the insurance costs are crazy.

When we first moved out there, almost 6 years ago, I did 5 days a week. About a year into it, I started spending a night or two at my parents'. Then my job adjusted me to onsite 3 days weekly with 3 Fridays of the month off. My role has changed and I'm back to 5 days a week onsite since April. I've gone back to going home 2x a week sometimes 3 in the summer.

Normally, I get on the road by 4:45a-5 and am at my desk between 7:30-9a depending on the traffic conditions, if I stopped for gas or potty, etc. Usually, it's 8:30ish on an average day. Some days I acutally need to be at work by 6 which means I get on the road around 3:15. I can't chance being late for an early start.

Coming home, I'm out 5-6p most days. It's about 45 minutes from my job to the GWB via the Cross Bronx. Then depending on Jersey, I'm usually home in about 3-3 1/2 hours. Some days a bit more, usually because I'll need a potty break. It's a grand total of 124 miles each way.

We looked at many homes in Monroe. Often, the ones we really liked had outrageous tax bills attached. Those that had lower taxes, we didn't like the particular areas. We were actually ok with the higher tax bills, within reason of course. We just felt that compared to the lower taxes and much bigger lots in Carbon the savings between house and taxes was worth it to have that much more space. We also bought the lots on either side of us to ensure we won't have neighbors too, too close.

I presume that you are not close to Medicare? We on Medicare with the Geisinger Gold Advantage plan and almost all our bills have been paid. Dental is the one exception and that can cost big bucks.

When I retired from the Teamsters; I kept their insurance until I hit 65. But that was expensive at about $900/month (if I remember correctly). For the last eight years I have worked a job close to our house that paid about $35K to $40/ year and that more than made up for the insurance premiums.

We all have to do what we have to do. You have a nice house and you don't want to fall behind on the payments and you want to maintain what you have. So, if you have to work, you work.

That is still one heck of a commute! I hope, at some time in the future, that you don't have to drive that far. That adds up to over 60,000 miles/year without time off and that can really hurt a car's value. Plus it takes money to drive that far with tolls and standard maintenance.

Have a great day!

Old 09-21-2018, 06:39 AM

I’m in my early 40s so many years (knock wood) to Medicare. My union provides the insurance free until 65 after retirement and then free as the hole fillers for Medicare. All you need is that 20 without being a current union member. (My dad is retired with the same union). Honestly, the insurance now and then is my big reason for sticking it out right now.

We’re in the position where the house will be paid off in a couple of years so a pay cut is not a huge deal at that point either

My fiancé is a Teamster. He transferred from NYC to a local near Philadelphia. The pay cut was literally close to 75%!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
I do have a retired neighbor that is originally form Philadelphia and there are others in our area; but most transplants I meet are from NYC.
Possibly because there are a lot more people deciding to escape NYC.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I’m in my early 40s so many years (knock wood) to Medicare. My union provides the insurance free until 65 after retirement and then free as the hole fillers for Medicare. All you need is that 20 without being a current union member. (My dad is retired with the same union). Honestly, the insurance now and then is my big reason for sticking it out right now.

We’re in the position where the house will be paid off in a couple of years so a pay cut is not a huge deal at that point either

My fiancé is a Teamster. He transferred from NYC to a local near Philadelphia. The pay cut was literally close to 75%!

How did they hit your fiancé so hard? Is he a driver, yard worker, dock worker or something else? I took a little hit when CF closed and I went to Roadway (which was then bought by Yellow). But it wasn't anything we could not deal with. I presume that he also needs many more years before he can retire? It is hard for me to think how I could possibly accept a 75% pay cut! I drove many trips to terminals inside Brooklyn and I always thought they were making the same money I was!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Possibly because there are a lot more people deciding to escape NYC.

Its hard to say? Maybe our Vacation Bureau has more information? Sometimes there are many that ask about moving. Of course it is one thing to ask and another thing to move.

PS I thought it over a little. Our roads might slow down the flow? Until we get six lanes through our County and tied into NJ's six lanes of I-80; we might discourage more from coming. At some point the traffic gets too bad and it takes too long to make the trip worth the move.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
How did they hit your fiancé so hard? Is he a driver, yard worker, dock worker or something else? I took a little hit when CF closed and I went to Roadway (which was then bought by Yellow). But it wasn't anything we could not deal with. I presume that he also needs many more years before he can retire? It is hard for me to think how I could possibly accept a 75% pay cut! I drove many trips to terminals inside Brooklyn and I always thought they were making the same money I was!
He’s a driver/laborer for underground utilities. Different contracts and totally different pay scale for the same positions.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
He’s a driver/laborer for underground utilities. Different contracts and totally different pay scale for the same positions.

So they basically started him off at the bottom again? That hurts!

By the way, when you drive up towards the Pocono Raceway on the right, there is a large area filled with pipe to be installed someplace under the ground. I presume that it will be for gas or oil? That would not be something he does but closer to home? Just asking; I am always looking for opportunities in my community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania