Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 01:43 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times

Advertisements

Ordered this online for my Mountain Top Home. "Proudly Hand Made in Lancaster, PA.". Ok, maybe not exactly local but still happy to support a small business owner in the state. It is slate and hand painted. Where does slate come from in PA?

Beautifully packaged all in ribbons with a hand written note from creator. Thank YOU, Cheryl! Better than some cheap mass produced item from China or Japan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ordered this online for my Mountain Top Home. "Proudly Hand Made in Lancaster, PA.". Ok, maybe not exactly local but still happy to support a small business owner in the state. It is slate and hand painted. Where does slate come from in PA?

Beautifully packaged all in ribbons with a hand written note from creator. Thank YOU, Cheryl! Better than some cheap mass produced item from China or Japan!
Ordered what?? Was there supposed to be a pic for us to look at??

Old 01-08-2019, 03:13 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Sounds like she bought some art work on a slate. I'm guessing that the slate probably spent its life as a roof single which was salvaged and repurposed.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:39 PM

273 posts, read 318,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Where does slate come from in PA?
There’s a region north of the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton corridor that’s sometimes referred to as the “slate belt”. If you look at a map, you’ll see a few town names that are pretty obvious (Slatington, Slatedale), although many articles on the slate belt call specific attention to a cluster of towns along PA 512 just east of PA 33: Wind Gap, Pen Argyl, and Bangor.

Once a formidable force in Pennsylvania’s economy, the slate industry collapsed a century ago as cheaper asphalt shingles became the dominant roofing material. That said, slate is still quarried at three sites in Pennsylvania’s slate belt, and select companies like Penn Big Bed Slate continue to sell Pennsylvania slate for architectural and specialty purposes.

I share your enthusiasm for supporting small and locally-owned businesses—particularly here in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:56 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post
There’s a region north of the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton corridor that’s sometimes referred to as the “slate belt”. If you look at a map, you’ll see a few town names that are pretty obvious (Slatington, Slatedale), although many articles on the slate belt call specific attention to a cluster of towns along PA 512 just east of PA 33: Wind Gap, Pen Argyl, and Bangor.

Once a formidable force in Pennsylvania’s economy, the slate industry collapsed a century ago as cheaper asphalt shingles became the dominant roofing material. That said, slate is still quarried at three sites in Pennsylvania’s slate belt, and select companies like Penn Big Bed Slate continue to sell Pennsylvania slate for architectural and specialty purposes.

I share your enthusiasm for supporting small and locally-owned businesses—particularly here in Pennsylvania.
I know when we used to look for yard sales that we passed a company (I believe in Pen Argyle) that had skids of roof slates and other products. There are still some homes with slate roofs and those slates have to come from someplace.

As far as the Amish and Mennonites; sometimes some of their products do say: Made in China. Not all the time; they do have plenty of carpenter shops down there. We always liked the little town of Intercourse and Peaceful Valley Furniture: https://www.peacefulvalleyfurniture.com/. I have several pieces of their furniture in my house as well as some from the Maine State Prison store: https://www.maine.gov/corrections/industries/page7.html. Of course they are not anywhere close to each other - but if you like to drive!

Old 01-08-2019, 06:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
As far as the Amish and Mennonites; sometimes some of their products do say: Made in China.

I would think this would largely depend on if you were dealing with real Amish and/or how adherent they are. I visited an Amish factory in Indiana that made kerosene products; heaters, stoves, lamps etc. They had small oven and the old Amish guy made joke about it being an Amish microwave, that got a pretty big laugh. Everything they made was done in house except the porcelain coatings. They had it set up so it was naturally lit supplemented with lanterns. All the machinery was either air or hydraulic, I did see a couple of Dewalt drills but I guess there is exception for battery operated. They powered the hydraulics with a generator which I guess is another exception, I'd imagine that is how they powered the battery chargers.

If you want to order wholesale you either need to send them a letter or you can call community phone which is located by the road outside of their little settlement a few miles down the road. It's a community phone.

Coolest thing I saw they had for sale was a paint sprayer, they took a engine hoist which of course was not made by them. They had weight on the end that was a couple thousand pounds. When you jacked the hoist up they had an additional hydraulic ram, once the hoist was at highest point they would release the pressure and secondary hydraulic ram pressurized the paint gun. That was one of the craziest contraptions I ever saw but it required no power.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would think this would largely depend on if you were dealing with real Amish and/or how adherent they are. I visited an Amish factory in Indiana that made kerosene products; heaters, stoves, lamps etc. They had small oven and the old Amish guy made joke about it being an Amish microwave, that got a pretty big laugh. Everything they made was done in house except the porcelain coatings. They had it set up so it was naturally lit supplemented with lanterns. All the machinery was either air or hydraulic, I did see a couple of Dewalt drills but I guess there is exception for battery operated. They powered the hydraulics with a generator which I guess is another exception, I'd imagine that is how they powered the battery chargers.

If you want to order wholesale you either need to send them a letter or you can call community phone which is located by the road outside of their little settlement a few miles down the road. It's a community phone.

Coolest thing I saw they had for sale was a paint sprayer, they took a engine hoist which of course was not made by them. They had weight on the end that was a couple thousand pounds. When you jacked the hoist up they had an additional hydraulic ram, once the hoist was at highest point they would release the pressure and secondary hydraulic ram pressurized the paint gun. That was one of the craziest contraptions I ever saw but it required no power.
I know that they can use a lot of ingenuity. But they can also be practical business men and women. I believe they are allowed to use cellphones for their businesses. The main thing is that they want their communities to survive; so sometimes they have to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania