Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 AM

703 posts, read 1,547,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
I'm curious if there's anybody out there who commutes from PA to NJ or NY over 100 miles. How far do you travel, how often, and do you ever feel you're burning out doing so? Share your stories here.

Also, how many of you would be willing to travel 150-miles (appr. 2.7 hours roundtrip) -- doing something you don't mind -- for a pay of $320.00 before taxes for 8.5 hours,, once a week, on either a Saturday or Sunday?
That works out to just under $77,000/ yr based on 40hrs/wk and 52wks/yr, or just over $16,300 one day a week. For me that's not nearly enough to justify the trip, just for my own personal sanity. But, of course, you do what you can and what you think is best for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM

203 posts, read 577,673 times
I'm somewhat new here but thought that I'd weigh in on this one.

My husband drives about 60 miles one way for work. I'd love to live closer, but the house that we got in Scranton (with a pool, nice garage, in a great area) was so much nicer than what we could've gotten in the area (Matamoras / Milford) near work.
Luckily he works nights & is up for a little when the kids get home from school. Sometimes it does feel like he's never around between working & having to sleep during the day. Luckily, his job affords the fact that I can now stay home with the kids.

It's worth it in some situations, I guess.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM

16 posts, read 74,025 times
Quote:
I'm curious if there's anybody out there who commutes from PA to NJ or NY over 100 miles. How far do you travel, how often, and do you ever feel you're burning out doing so? Share your stories here.

Also, how many of you would be willing to travel 150-miles (appr. 2.7 hours roundtrip) -- doing something you don't mind -- for a pay of $320.00 before taxes for 8.5 hours,, once a week, on either a Saturday or Sunday?
hello

I actually ask this question before

can anyone share stories of communting from pa to NJ approx 1 hr drive?

I was offered a job in Hanover, NJ on route 10 abt 55 min drive from e stroud
but i would have to work 2 sat a month, i would hate that but the salary is the same
compared to my NYC job

how much do you think i would spend on gas??

should i stay local rather than going to NYC

anyone familiar with route 10? how is the traffic

Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
There is NO amount of money that would make me travel that far to work every day. In my opinion, no amount of money is worth such a decrease in quality of life, and I would see that many hours of driving a week as a definite quality of life issue. I've always been lucky to work within 10 mins. of my home. All of the jobs I've had have allowed me to go home for lunch every day. My last job paid $50K and I lived literally on the same street. That was a sweet deal.....I realize I won't be finding anything close to that salary OR distance-wise out in NEPA, but I would never travel back to Jersey to keep that salary or even double that salary!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Quote:

Ok I'll do a Sat. or a Sunday at that nice pay..........but..........by gosh, I would not be going into the city all the week long, good pay or not. Two days would be tops, prefering one.
Traveling 3 hours each way, loosing 6 hours on the road per day.........nope!
I'd rather have time with family, fun time, a closer job with less pay........just not to do that horrendous drive.
Give me a lake with a good book.........then I'll come in one day, work hard, go home...........and return in the next week.......sounds good to me

Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stxbuyer View Post
hello

I actually ask this question before

but i would have to work 2 sat a month, i would hate that but the salary is the same
compared to my NYC job

My daughter lives in Hackettstown NJ and works in Hanover.......It takes her 50 min. to get there, and she is not a slow drive in the least. It takes me 45 min. with no traffic to get to her home from Brodheadsville to Hackettstown.
So add those two together and you might get a better idea of time.
She takes route 80 to 287 to route 10.........Yes route 10 has now gotten crowded over the years. It was not many years ago. Now, ...........yikes.
You'll spend a ton on gas.
Local is always best. For you, for your car, your gas tank, and your family.
I think I just did that in the wrong order...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 PM

128 posts, read 356,126 times
I'd do it if it were $60/hr, or $510 a day assuming an 8.5 hour day. I'd also get myself a motorcycle or Prius for commuting to the job. I would only do this though if it were 1 day per week; no price would make me want to do that kind of commute on a daily basis (i.e., no amount of money would justify me losing my sanity).

Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 PM

703 posts, read 1,547,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
There is NO amount of money that would make me travel that far to work every day. In my opinion, no amount of money is worth such a decrease in quality of life, and I would see that many hours of driving a week as a definite quality of life issue.
I agree with you in principle.

My job in one of the "learned professions" as they say entails meeting a certain number of "billable hours." So, commuting over that great a distance, there's no way I would be able to meet my quota (1) without taking a pay cut or (2) literally having no other time but to sleep 5-6 hours, commute, and work. The qualify of life reduction would be too great.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM

223 posts, read 796,337 times
Wow, such interesting insights and stories, thanks all! And feel free to continue to weigh in!

It seems like the group here is pretty much split down the middle---while most would be unwilling to commute a long distance to work every day, some are open to the idea of commuting one day a week for an above average salary, despite the cost of fuel, wear and tear, etc.

What became evident is that quality of life still matters a great deal to people, more than I expected, actually. I think ScranWilkes was the exception, who said he'd be willing to make the long trip into Jersey FIVE days a week to work as an accountant...for a mere 60K!!! And set forward some very reasonable (and unmaterialistic) goals as well. Good luck with that.

The Commish wouldn't take 77K for a week's work with commute, but Skijumper would take the one day gig for $510...and do the trip by motorcycle or Prius. Wouldn't 3 hours each way on a motorcycle be a bit painful?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stxbuyer View Post
hello

compared to my NYC job

That's a very doable commute. Depending on your vehicle, rough estimate I'd say you might spend top end $500.-600. a month on gas, factoring in those two Saturdays a month. There's also the traffic issue, it's not whether you'll encounter traffic, but how much. It's Jersey.

Last edited by JimmyLane; 04-09-2008 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM

128 posts, read 356,126 times
Quote:
Skijumper would take the one day gig for $510...and do the trip by motorcycle or Prius. Wouldn't 3 hours each way on a motorcycle be a bit painful?!?
I'd get me some of those padded bike pants. And some Ben Gay There's actually another cool vehicle coming out (hopefully) in the next few years that would make a sweet commuter car. Check it out: Fly the Road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania