Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 07:07 AM

17 posts, read 22,829 times

Advertisements

move completed. got lucky and found a property that had almost everything i wanted in it.

no more constant fire engine, ambulance, cop sirens.

no annoying neighbors who take liberties in parking on my private parking space and constantly blocking my driveway.

i will miss convenience, delivery and food diversity choices [totally manageable].

thanks to all and good luck to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 11:40 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon_n00b View Post
move completed. got lucky and found a property that had almost everything i wanted in it.

no more constant fire engine, ambulance, cop sirens.

no annoying neighbors who take liberties in parking on my private parking space and constantly blocking my driveway.

i will miss convenience, delivery and food diversity choices [totally manageable].

thanks to all and good luck to everyone.
Congratulations!

Let us know how you find the commte.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:01 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
no more constant fire engine, ambulance, cop sirens - Don't miss that either....

no annoying neighbors - so glad I don't have that where I live.....

i will miss convenience, delivery and food diversity - that I do miss....but if you look around there are some places that are good....just have to venture out or do like I do: make it yourself (if you can).....I really would like to have a brick oven though for making pizzas and breads....otherwise I don't miss city living at all....been coming out here since '96 and living permanently since 11/2007.....

Old 01-24-2021, 10:51 AM

14 posts, read 23,518 times
What town did you settle in? We are closing on a home in Milford early March.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterian View Post
What town did you settle in? We are closing on a home in Milford early March.

Who are you asking??

Old 01-24-2021, 03:55 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Did you go back and read?

The OP chose:
Quote:
thanks all, looks like we will be calling Lackawaxen our next home.
And another poster is in Saylorsville.

I find it interesting that people who themselves are transplants from NYC, don't want others to do exactly what they did. It's the OTHER people who've come and ruined it. I wonder if people thought that when they came earlier.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I find it interesting that people who themselves are transplants from NYC, don't want others to do exactly what they did. It's the OTHER people who've come and ruined it. I wonder if people thought that when they came earlier.
I do think about it a lot when considering moving. I lived in Brooklyn most of my life and was fortunate to grow up in a quiet and safe neighborhood. When I met my now wife we moved to a decent neighborhood that was going through a lot of change. What started out quiet and neighborly, within two years became a weekend party street with all night DJ music blasting on the front lawn. We eventually moved to where we are now in Long Island and loved the fact you could stand outside and hear little more than nature. It is still fairly quiet but in the last two years, we are seeing changes. More people from the boroughs of NY moving to our quiet town. But they are bringing an element of more noise, more parties, more loud vehicles. It's not really bad yet, but definetly noticeable. So, we were transplants from Brooklyn, but we respect the quiet life and always were aware of the surroundings. Today, people don't seem to look around and see where they are now. Am I therefore wrong to notice eventhough I too came from these same places? It really has to do with your upbringing and culture. If you always had loud street parties, put loud exhaust on your cars or stayed up until 2am with friends having a good old time in the yard, I guess that is who you are. But not everyone who moves to the "country" is of that background. But I definetly get it if it annoys you, just speak out to the new family in a polite way and maybe remind them of where they are. If that does not work, you have some tough decisions.
Sometimes living in gated communities with strict rules works better for some to maintain the standard of living, even if some freedoms are lost. What the new transplants can also bring in is much needed dollars to keep businesses thriving and tax dollars collected so roads, schools and public places can be improved. Hopefully there can be a happy mix. Such is progress. It is ever changing and often unpredictable.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
More people from the boroughs of NY moving to our quiet town. But they are bringing an element of more noise, more parties, more loud vehicles. It's not really bad yet, but definitely noticeable. So, we were transplants from Brooklyn, but we respect the quiet life and always were aware of the surroundings. Today, people don't seem to look around and see where they are now. Am I therefore wrong to notice even though I too came from these same places? It really has to do with your upbringing and culture. If you always had loud street parties, put loud exhaust on your cars or stayed up until 2am with friends having a good old time in the yard, I guess that is who you are. But not everyone who moves to the "country" is of that background.

Originally from Sunset Park, Brooklyn....started coming out here to NEPA area in 1996 by way of Brooklyn friends who bought and moved out here way before it was as developed as it is now. There was no Lowes, Home Depot, Target, St. Lukes Hospital, nor any of the big names we have now. Now the garbage is moving out here and with them bringing their ghetto attitudes, noise, unruly parties, and, unfortunately, drugs with them. Drugs are everywhere that's understood but it was never as bad out here as it is since they all started coming out here. Speaking of Sunset Park again, we lived there from '67 - '73 when it was predominantly a Greek, Polish, and Italian neighborhood. When we left in '73 it was just starting to become what it is now: A DUMP!! If they gave me an apartment or house there for free I still wouldn't live there!!

SELHARS - I find it interesting that people who themselves are transplants from NYC, don't want others to do exactly what they did. It's the OTHER people who've come and ruined it. - For the reasons many others like Nypafl4u and I have stated many times on this forum: its their total disrespect and arrogance for the neighborhood, the locals, and the areas they move in to for the reasons they are frowned upon and its their own fault. One of the main reasons I didn't buy up in Tobyhanna, Mt. Pocono, Tannersville, East Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg, and any other area up there!!

Last edited by DavidWebb; 01-25-2021 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 01-25-2021, 11:05 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Did you go back and read?

Well, you're a peach.

Personally speaking, when I see a poster that presently lives in NYC and surrounding burbs asking for recommendations in the Poconos, I pay attention to:

A- where the will be working
B- the area they are asking about

Why? Because I live outside of Jim Thorpe and work in the Bronx. The commute is horrid, when not in a global pandemic, and I will tell anyone interested to absolutely avoid my area unless you will be commuting by bus or only need to drive in 1-2x a week or will work remotely 100%.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:49 PM

17 posts, read 22,829 times
2 YEAR UPDATE
-----------------

An update no one asked, but figured i would contribute a little bit back to the community.

It is everything i expected and extremely happy where I am living right now.

After moving to PA, I realized working for a NY company and paying NY taxes is not good for my pocket, I quit the NY company switched job to a company from a different State where taxes are low. Not paying NY taxes is financially very rewarding for me. NOT a dig at NY, i am simply explaining how things are working out for me personally thats all. New Job once every few months I fly to onsite in a different state and stay there a few days. otherwise fully remote.

I have decent enough property (9 acres) We developed decent garden and grow vegetables, fruits etc in summer. Skiing, literally 10-15 minutes away, small but enough to enjoy once in a while. Tons of hiking near by, we love hiking. delaware river, lackawaxen river and lakes are literally 5-10 minutes away. I love fishing and do quiet a bit of bass fishing there in summer, trout fishing in spring. I do offroading and plenty of places to go. I picked up hunting and enjoy the fruits of being an outdoorsman. Gives us 50-100 lbs of meat every year with bit of hardwork. To cut down on propane costs, i now use firewood to heat home. I have plenty of wood that I personally cut, split and stack, which I use to heat my home during winter (4-5 cords of wood). These 2 years I have learned quiet a bit on how to be self sufficient. I dont have any free time, either due to hobbies or always doing something. I still do my 9-5 job effective (that pays my bills), while doing everything else.

Neighbors: When i lived in cities, I did not know my neighbors, but here, i am friends with a lot of them, we have BBQ's, i invite them to my home and vice versa. We look out for each other. I dont even bother locking my doors as it is very rare to see new faces around here.

Best decision of my life, moving out of big cities. Will it work for others? i dont know. But i am happy it worked out for me.

If I am still around in a few years, I will give another update.

Cheers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania