Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 04:23 PM

21 posts, read 20,671 times

Advertisements

Hi,

a family member purchased a lot and it failed the perc test, don't ask me why lol and the worst part is it's in a community(not sure of the name). Is there a approved septic system method?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 08:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa72 View Post
Hi,

a family member purchased a lot and it failed the perc test, don't ask me why lol and the worst part is it's in a community(not sure of the name). Is there a approved septic system method?

Thanks

Has your relative talked to the local sewage enforcement officer? There are alternatives to the standard in ground septic system. I was told that a lot that doesn't perk can be made to perk over several years through digging up an area of the property to a certain depth and filling it with materials like sand and gravel, letting it settle and filling it up again. Call an excavation contractor.

You should also contact a local lawyer to determine if the seller of the lot can be sued for breach of implied warranty.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:31 PM

21 posts, read 20,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Has your relative talked to the local sewage enforcement officer? There are alternatives to the standard in ground septic system. I was told that a lot that doesn't perk can be made to perk over several years through digging up an area of the property to a certain depth and filling it with materials like sand and gravel, letting it settle and filling it up again. Call an excavation contractor.

You should also contact a local lawyer to determine if the seller of the lot can be sued for breach of implied warranty.
No but I will ask them to. I'll also tell them to call the excavation contractor. The property was purchased over 10 years ago and it just sat. What option is there if nothing can be built on it and no one wants to buy it? Does the community buy it back?

Old 03-07-2021, 02:49 AM

30,519 posts, read 16,213,477 times
There's such a thing as a sand mound system but even that's not acceptable everywhere. If it's in a community do they have a community sewer system? Doesn't sound like it but doesn't hurt to ask.

I doubt the community would buy it back if they weren't the ones to sell it. Best case scenario he could sell it as an unbuildable lot. Some people want them.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,327 times
Lots in communities are tough. I am in the exact same situation. Not sure if they will Perc well or not, but bought two them 10 or so years ago when the market was super low. Thought I might build on them but decided not too and never will. Now I am having a hard time selling them. At this point, I am willing to give give them away.
One is in Pocono Springs Estates and backs up to State land, so it is a great hunting lot.
The other is in Winonna Lakes and backs up to a drop off so no back neighbor's.
Both are very quiet and private.
I was told by one secretary at the county tax collection office who pulled me aside and quietly just said don't pay your taxes and it will eventually forclose. That scares me a bit from a credit position but I really don't want to nor easily can pay taxes each year and community dues on land I will never build on.
Anyone want a lot or two out there?
Looking for answers too.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:43 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
One is in Pocono Springs Estates and backs up to State land, so it is a great hunting lot.
What size is the lot? I would think that one bordering state game lands should be an easy sell. If nothing else, someone who hunts would have a place to park and camp (if that's permissible) during hunting season.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:05 PM

The are both about a half acre each. No camping permitted unortunetly. Most communities frown on that. It is a reason I am likely having such problems getting these properties sold or gifted.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:27 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
The are both about a half acre each. No camping permitted unortunetly. Most communities frown on that. It is a reason I am likely having such problems getting these properties sold or gifted.
Are there neighbors? They may be interested in buying the land cheap to increase the property size, then they may be able to merge your lot into theirs and make it a single lot for HOA dues and and tax purposes. I saw this happen a few times when I lived in Saw Creek.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Are there neighbors? They may be interested in buying the land cheap to increase the property size, then they may be able to merge your lot into theirs and make it a single lot for HOA dues and and tax purposes. I saw this happen a few times when I lived in Saw Creek.
So far no luck with that. The in Pocono Springs has no one on either side. It looks like little building going on that road.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:25 AM

599 posts, read 498,540 times
Sand mounds have become essentially a standard requirement in many rural parts of PA, and have been so for the last three, or four decades. There are several alternative methods of constructing an on-site system, and most vary from expensive to obscenely expensive. In the OP's case, the owner of the failed test can contact the township's SEO, or sewage enforcement officer. This person is responsible for enforcing statewide codes. They will know what alternatives have been successfully used in the area, and can give you a general sense of what the situation is, and if there is any real hope of success.

I bought lots and built homes in the region, for decades. In my final few years of business, I would only buy a potential lot after reviewing all septic documents with my septic installation contractor. I found many potential lots where the cost of a standard sand mound on a significant slope, or one that required a mound that was substantially over-sized, due to poor perk results, could quickly exceed the price of the lot. If the perk testing was bad enough, the price of an alternative system generally meant that the property was probably valueless forever, even if it was free. Sadly, the Poconos have thousands, maybe tens of thousands of lots that were inexpensive and buildable decades ago, when they were first created from raw forests, but are now worthless due to continually more restrictive codes, including excess slope, wetlands, flood zone, septic, setback issues, nonconforming lot size, etc. There are millions wasted in real estate taxes and HOA dues, paid every year by folks that plan on "building their dream place" one day, and have no clue that they are just throwing money at something that will never happen.

As for the comment about defaulting, it's pretty common. I did a lot of business with speculators who would buy land dirt cheap, then resell it to individuals and builders. They always hold the properties in arm's length shell companies. The reason was that they ended up holding some worthless liabilities, for many reasons, from properties that were declared unbuildable wetlands, to ones that failed perc. testing. They would just stop paying dues and taxes on those, and allowed them to be seized for back payments. In the end it is a strategy, and a black mark against a throw away company that was designed just to protect the real owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania