Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 11:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,996,750 times

Advertisements

Besides Jimmys in Hazleton, are there any other mom and pop eateries I need to visit in the Pocono/NEPA region.

I have recently been to NEPA after many years to partake in some gun shooting at ranges. I wish I did this sooner instead of going to Upstate NY. NY gun laws are turning Canadien.

I have spent time in Hazleton during college years. That is how I know Jimmys. They make great hot dogs. I really wished I lived closer. Id go every day if I could. Last weekend, I had four dogs.

Are there any other famous mom and pop eateries that NEPA/Pocono is locally famous for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 11:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,996,750 times
God I love this place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkOtxMVGGA

Old 03-30-2021, 07:27 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,150,824 times
This site regularly posts information on Instagram and elsewhere about places to visit in NEPA including Mom & Pop shops....check their links for more info:

https://www.discovernepa.com/

Old 03-30-2021, 08:49 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,202,540 times
There's Abe's Hot Dogs in W-B and Coney Island in Scranton if hot dogs are your thing.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:21 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,187,060 times
In Windgap there is the Daisy Bar: https://daisyfamilyrestaurant.com/. They started in 1958 and have been going strong ever since. I love their beef barbeque sandwiches and their cheese steak sandwiches are very good (although they have their own twist on the Philys).

What gets me about many of our restaurants is I have to presume they also watch programs like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives: (https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/di...-ins-and-dives). But most of the mom and pop eateries still offer the same old, same old. We see some, what looks very appetizing, food on many of those shows. We also see some of these eateries packed with customers looking forward to what these places are offering. Of course it could be staged for the show? But it looks great to many of us viewers. I just wished that more of our local locations would pickup on the idea of offering food that is a little different and very special.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:43 PM

5,307 posts, read 6,202,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In Windgap there is the Daisy Bar: https://daisyfamilyrestaurant.com/. They started in 1958 and have been going strong ever since. I love their beef barbeque sandwiches and their cheese steak sandwiches are very good (although they have their own twist on the Philys).

In old NEPA, a beef barbeque consisted of thin sliced boiled round on a bun covered with relish. While living in Texas, I came to like real "pit barbeque." I assume that Daisy's is not real pit barbeque.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:00 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,187,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
In old NEPA, a beef barbeque consisted of thin sliced boiled round on a bun covered with relish. While living in Texas, I came to like real "pit barbeque." I assume that Daisy's is not real pit barbeque.
No, but they do make a great sloppy Joe. Like the OPs Jimmy's they steam the rolls.

That said; does anybody know of any small mom and pop eateries that offer something different like I mentioned in my other post? I had a friend that encouraged me to stop in Avoca for a pizza and it really tasted great (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nsylvania.html). It was different in a good way from what we get locally. Years ago I stopped at a (then) new pizza place and the owner asked me how I liked his pizza (he thought it was great). I really didn't like his pizza and his sauce tasted bitter; but I told him it was fine (I did not elaborate). I never see many cars at his place; but he is still in business. People will flock to the right eatery if they feel the food is great, they get their money's worth, or they just feel it is clean and safe. I just cannot believe that some of the small resturante owners do not see these shows on TV and then try something similar.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:34 AM

8,106 posts, read 7,479,068 times
You need to try Saen Thai in Shawnee-on-Delaware, Monroe County. They are currently only open for takeout due to the dining area being very small. Usually the wait for a table is really long, and you can always see people hanging around waiting for a table to open up. Even with the pandemic, or especially with the pandemic, if you want a takeout meal on a busy holiday weekend then call it in, in the early afternoon. Do not wait until 6:00 expecting to pick up your food at 7:00. They will be so busy they don't answer the phone!

Old 03-31-2021, 08:59 AM

9,370 posts, read 13,036,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
There's Abe's Hot Dogs in W-B and Coney Island in Scranton if hot dogs are your thing.
Abe’s is all right. I like Coney Island Lunch more.

I’ll throw in a vote for Pizza L’Oven, for their trays of fried Sicilian perfection, and while it’s not really a restaurant, Gerry’s for round, swirled sauce pies.

I think the Valley has some excellent pizza, and an abundance of “pizza artisans” who have their own unique twists on local favorites. I liked Old Forge style pizza when I first tried it, but when I got around to trying the rest of the places in the Valley corridor, I realized it’s hideously overrated, and it’s a shame that it tends to eclipse far better local favorites.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:00 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,150,824 times
Several years ago because the Lowes up in Edwardsville was the only place to have wood pellets in stock by the ton and it was being held for me to pick up so wife and I went to a so-called pizzeria in Edwardsville, whose name I can't remember, cuz I wanted her to try a zeppole....they looked at me like I had 3 heads....had no clue what I was talking about....found another, asked, but unfortunately they didn't have any either but the owner knew what I was talking about....he said that in PA, especially NEPA, no pizzeria would make them because they don't sell since no one here knows about them.....said he tried selling them when he first opened but they didn't catch on....he was an ex-NY'er....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania