Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 02:47 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,777,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The subject of the thread is "Poconos Retirement" so I'm not sure why it matters to a retiree whether the traffic moves fast or not.

Since the 209 Bypass opened about 10 years ago the traffic has been fine near me. Then again, I often listen to people complaining about the Poconos, whether it's traffic or crime or snow, and I think I must live in some Alternate Pocono Universe where none of that applies. Although I will say that I still work for a New Jersey-based company, and there are not a lot of good-paying jobs in the Poconos per se.
I didn’t say whether or not it mattered to a retiree. I was speaking solely on my own opinion of “traffic” in the Poconos. I consistently get stuck behind slow pokes or tractor trailers on a local 2 lane road. Doesn’t bother me cause I’m moving unlike my travels through 80 and NYC where traffic is often crawling and I could walk faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 07:36 PM

28,971 posts, read 30,339,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^^It was cold this morning leaving my house. 38 degrees. In the afternoon, it supposed to go into the 50's which is ok. Typically, last frost in the Poconos is mid-May. Unfortunately, we had some warm spells the last week so my lawn needs to be trimmed.
our nights have been cooler, like yours 38 degrees, 34, but then in the daytime it goes up to almost 65 or 70....but I'm now in South Central Kentucky.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:12 PM

85 posts, read 23,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Did you seriously just equate ethnicity to criminality? *SMH*
I have family in Lancaster (Lawyer and Doctor)and they do tell me it is that race that is causing the issues.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Good point. The OP seems to have neglected the usual qualifiers, besides lumping all "Hispanics" in one basket.

It's not the specific ethnicity; it's the huge wave of new arrivals and the social upheaval, that criminals feed on. All ethnicities go through this cycle, and so far they (we) have all gotten through it.

There has been a rise of crime with that group. Locals do get upset,very upset and a god reason why. Here is one major reason : A 33 year Hispanic male raped, molested and impregnated a 13 year old girl and he insisted the 13 year old was forcing herself on him.

Family relative is a GYN I hear stories.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:59 AM

8,117 posts, read 7,488,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoCountryLady View Post
There has been a rise of crime with that group. Locals do get upset,very upset and a god reason why. Here is one major reason : A 33 year Hispanic male raped, molested and impregnated a 13 year old girl and he insisted the 13 year old was forcing herself on him.

OK but people will say native-born whites and blacks do that all the time.

And you're saying "Hispanic" again. Do you mean to say "recent illegal immigrants who prey on other recent illegal immigrants"? But there is a long history of crime within immigrant communities, and it's not just Hispanics.

Hispanic includes Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Central American, and even South America. Yet not all of those groups are part of the current influx of illegals who may be involved in the crime (both as victims and as perpetrators) you are talking about.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I didn’t say whether or not it mattered to a retiree. I was speaking solely on my own opinion of “traffic” in the Poconos. I consistently get stuck behind slow pokes or tractor trailers on a local 2 lane road. Doesn’t bother me cause I’m moving unlike my travels through 80 and NYC where traffic is often crawling and I could walk faster.
Boy, God Love ya, I am so impatient, I guess b/c I grew up in a very small town where at that time there was very little traffic...and I hate grid locks...traffic jams...bumper to bumer traffic....

Old 04-27-2023, 08:09 AM

8,117 posts, read 7,488,992 times
Quote:
Again I'm one of those lucky Poconoites who doesn't often get stuck in traffic. If there's heavy traffic on 209 in Minisink Hills/Marshalls Creek I know the back roads. Same for 611 in Stroud Township/Bartonsville.

When I go to my office in NJ I usually get stuck in traffic because even the back roads are clogged.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:52 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,777,194 times
Quote:
Again I'm one of those lucky Poconoites who doesn't often get stuck in traffic. If there's heavy traffic on 209 in Minisink Hills/Marshalls Creek I know the back roads. Same for 611 in Stroud Township/Bartonsville.

When I go to my office in NJ I usually get stuck in traffic because even the back roads are clogged.
We were out by Jim Thorpe for 10 years. 903 is terrible and has gotten consistently worse with traffic from the Turnpike coming on/off- those tractor-trailers. Unfortunately not many side roads off 903 to skaddle around it.

We actually moved over to Monroe County back in June (not at all far from our old house) and what a difference with 115 and 209 having little "short cuts". I'm pretty used to the Raceway traffic, as we had it up our old way. But, despite being only 9 miles from old house to new- I have shaved nearly 30 minutes off my commute thanks to not having to take 903 for 14 miles to get to 80. Instead of entering/exiting 80 at 284, I on/off at 307 and it's only another 25 minutes, give or take home/work. It sounds so little but truly makes a big difference- walking in the door at 7:30ish vs after 8 is really a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoCountryLady View Post

Show me the data because the whole "I know someone who told me that..." is nothing more than anecdotal information. It's playing telephone.

I just did a quick Google query for "13 year old raped", "minor sexually assaulted" "minor raped". Know what comes up for the last 10 years? Bunch of white men (one of whom raped and murdered his g/f's 12 year old), one Asian, and several Hispanic men (one victim was a 6 year old and another was a8-9 over the 2-year time period) None tho, that fit what you're saying.

Last edited by charmed hour; 04-27-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-27-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Trash is trash regardless of race and/or ethnicity. I grew up in a very “white”, middle class area of the Bronx. Quality of life crime (during the era of Broken Windows policing) was sky high compared to the adjacent more “mixed” demographic neighborhoods. Those demographics have shifted the last 10 years or so. If anything, my old neighborhood is cleaner, quieter and all crime was done across the board until very recently. But that can be attributed to the current laws or lack of in Mew York City. It’s quickly becoming NYC of the 1980s again.

I suppose your right. For many of us who are elderly and have lived a certain way and see the crime that hurts innocents. We tend to be very critical and speak our mind.

People should not take comments to heart.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
That's been my complaint. The planners of the region should have been widening the roads in the 80's instead of waiting until now to realize our roads can't handle the influx of residents. The developers should have been working with the municipalities, engineers, etc. to anticipate this problem. Well, developers just wanted to make money selling homes. Now the road planning is playing catch up to satisfy residents needs.
well, I worked construction for 10 years, and in the Poconos, that wasn't a priority....I've seen a lot of waste on roads in PA since then, and all they do is fall apart more and more. Back then when I worked construction, I had a PA State Inspector tell me then how badly our roads were in PA....and yet, they kept imposing more and more taxes on gasoline for road repair that was never done....they simply overlay roads with blacktop and call it a fix...then when you have a hard winter, roads freeze, and expand, then crumble again....but you are absolutely correct, they should have been doing so back in the 80's, but never did? See, most people don't realize, what it actually takes to repair a road...and the politicians, surely don't know nor care or both...but the taxes on gasoline keep going up and up....which they claim it's for road and bridge repair.

I worked on 3 sections of I-78 when they were building that road....and they should consider doing better in the Poconos...the roads are crumbling from underneath....which is what caused the pot holes.

I honestly don't see any improvement to the roads in the Poconos, unless they vote people in, who notice the problem and want to fix it....widen the roads...and install more underground water runoff pipes...and manholes. Again, when you have poor drainage, the water collects, then freezes and expands and thaws which is what causes the roads to fall apart, theres a lot going on underneath that road....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania