Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:19 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
A cheap dry cleaner not one that costs $6.00 a shirt. @1.25 a shirt and you would be rich.
On hanger, no starch. Please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Be careful, Luna. I was nearly banned back in 2007 for illegally posting pictures from the Greater Scranton MLS, and I'd hate to see the same thing happening to you. One would think that realtors would be delighted by all of the free advertising we were doing for them, but I suppose not.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:39 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Be careful, Luna. I was nearly banned back in 2007 for illegally posting pictures from the Greater Scranton MLS, and I'd hate to see the same thing happening to you. One would think that realtors would be delighted by all of the free advertising we were doing for them, but I suppose not.
Well I'm past the edit time on the post, I'll take a pic of my own later and see if the mods will swap it.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 AM

73 posts, read 276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
To each, their own. That's the problem - different local tastes.

Thing is, comparing populations - if most of NYC likes something, the number of customers will be far in excess of any "successful" PA bakery.

You just can't compare the two. Two very different worlds.

Until I came out here, I'd never even heard of scrapple - and when I did, I thought it was a joke. Turns out people actually eat that stuff...

I think what you want to say is that this area wants a good bakery run by locals.
No, I am not saying I want a bakery run by locals, I just listed 3 we have them, I like them and they do well. They don't claim "NY pastry" but most sell Italian pastries, made on premise, these business have been around for years w/o making that claim.

The bakeries whose claim to fame was "Ny style pastry" bombed and the pastries were from NY! What I am saying is, and I don't understand this at all, is that Nyer's from this area will constantly say "We need a good bakery like in NY" and when they had it no one went there. Most saying they can get better in the city, well guess what? That's where it was coming from.

This is not a local vs NY/NJ thing so please don't make it into that, that is not what I am saying. Someone said we needed a good NY bakery around here, we had them and nonone went to them. I live in an area where NY/NJ transplants out number the local folks so you can't say it was b/c the people around here don't like a good canoli or Napoleon.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLie View Post
The bakeries whose claim to fame was "Ny style pastry" bombed and the pastries were from NY! What I am saying is, and I don't understand this at all, is that Nyer's from this area will constantly say "We need a good bakery like in NY" and when they had it no one went there. Most saying they can get better in the city, well guess what? That's where it was coming from.

Location, location, location!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 AM

73 posts, read 276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Their was this sandwich shop near Moscow, it is was the best, they were from Brooklyn and made sandwiches to die for, they also had real italian ice in the summer. They are no longer in business, it's so sad.
See, this is what I am saying, I don't understand how people will complain we don't have a great deli or bakery like in NY and when we finally get one it closes. Why would someone from NY complain about it but then not support it? I think once it opens a mental block happens b/c it's in PA it can't be good.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLie View Post
See, this is what I am saying, I don't understand how people will complain we don't have a great deli or bakery like in NY and when we finally get one it closes. Why would someone from NY complain about it but then not support it? I think once it opens a mental block happens b/c it's in PA it can't be good.

That's why some people in PA are not very welcoming to NYers. SOME (key word: some) NYers almost have a snobbery about them that they think everything from NY is superior to PA. Makes you wonder why they ever left NY.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
That's why some people in PA are not very welcoming to NYers. SOME (key word: some) NYers almost have a snobbery about them that they think everything from NY is superior to PA. Makes you wonder why they ever left NY.
Case in point: The couple from NY I helped at work back in 2006 that was upset when I told them Scranton didn't yet have an Ikea. How could you move here WITHOUT knowing something like that if it's important to you?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM

138 posts, read 369,498 times
yeah what is scrapple? Sounds like fried scraps and made it into a breakfast item.

Scrantonluna- I think you make some great points. It did bring out some real concerns as to the waste and menu problems.

I guess what I am seeking is to move to PA and be my own boss in something. I am getting tired of working for "The Man". I have a home in Jim Thorpe, PA and getting really tired of living in the NYC but can't leave because the pay in PA sucks.

I think some asked where this bakery was located. This bakery is located on 14th & Avenue B called Amor Bakery. The food is great, prices reasonable and service is quick.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acevaz View Post
I have a home in Jim Thorpe, PA and getting really tired of living in the NYC but can't leave because the pay in PA sucks.
Thousands of people from our area power-commute back into NJ and NYC to work, and I have now realized that in order to live my dream life in Scranton in the future I, too, will have to commute into Northern New Jersey for work. It amazes me that nationwide there are open positions seemingly left and right for my field (accounting), yet in this area the only openings are for high-paying positions for experienced veterans in the field (controllers, CFOs, senior accountants, etc.) or for $9/hr. positions as bookkeepers or A/R clerks through temp agencies like Manpower---that's less than I earn now as a big-box retail salesperson with no degree. What does that leave for those graduating with Bachelor's Degrees in Accounting who wish to enter the public accounting field in NEPA to get our foot in the door, pay off student loans, and purchase our first homes? Nothing at all. With rising fuel pries I'm going to grimace as I put the pedal to the medal down I-380 and over I-80 everyday, but there truly are no other options. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is essentially a black hole if you have a professional degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania