Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 AM

138 posts, read 369,498 times

Advertisements

I am turning 30 on 7/19. I would like to do something that is really different. ScranBarre told me about a place in Benton, PA that host an annual rodeo. It so happens that the rodeo event lands during the wk of my bday. Anyone else with ideas?

I have the dinner with family and friends thing. I am so over that. Born and raised in NYC and would like to experience some different kinds of things that NEPA has to offer.

AceVaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Go whitewater rafting.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Go whitewater rafting.
I love the new screen name! "MrKrabs" made it sound like you actually had "crabs!" AHHHH!!! Just be careful because there is a limit of how many times you can change your screenname. I wanted to change mine to "Scrantastic," but I was told I wasn't allowed to have any more name changes, so I'm stuck with "ScranBarre."

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-17-2008 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Typo; Addition

Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I've always wanted to go on a hot air balloon ride myself.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Find yourself a guide for a overnight/weekend/week river trip on a canoe, preferably above or below Towanda for the overnight deal. The river is probably one the most under utilized attractions in NEPA.

I used to do a 8 day trip every year with my friends starting at the New York border to Meshoppen and that was some of the best times I ever had.

From just above Meshoppen:

Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I love the new screen name! "MrKrabs" made it sound like you actually had "crabs!" AHHHH!!! Just be careful because there is a limit of how many times you can change your screenname. I wanted to change mine to "Scrantastic," but I was told I wasn't allowed to have any more name changes, so I'm stuck with "ScranBarre."

Yeah...haven't really watched much Spongebob in a while...my son's not really into it as much as he used to be....

Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Find yourself a guide for a overnight/weekend/week river trip on a canoe, preferably above or below Towanda for the overnight deal. The river is probably one the most under utilized attractions in NEPA.

I used to do a 8 day trip every year with my friends starting at the New York border to Meshoppen and that was some of the best times I ever had.

From just above Meshoppen:
I love that picture! It's the picture of serenity. Reminds me of a similar scene where I spent many happy summers near East Branch on the Delaware.

Can you recommend a canoe company?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Well i wish i could take credit for the picture but one of my old GF's took it. Was just shortly before that a eagle flew not more than 20 feet over our heads. I've seen a lot of them on the river but that was the closest I ever got. I should note that picture is a little deceiving, the land you see to the left is not the other side of the river but an island. It's much wider at the point where that was taken.

I have hundreds of my own though, this is one of my favorites with my dog who always went on the trip. Some of you may even recognize the guy, that's a young Jason Egenski from 40.lb Head:

http://www.nepadigital.com/temp/Canoe_001.jpg (broken link)

I don't know any canoe companies, we all had our own canoes, kayaks...etc.. You don't necessarily need a canoe. Even a small row boat, if you're unfamiliar with the river it would certainly be safer but be prepared to drag it over some shallow areas. You will probably have to drag the canoe as well.

The river is like a series of shelves, you'll have long stretches of deep open calm water like that in the picture then places it will become very shallow with rapids. Generally when you get to the edge of the shelf it will be very shallow for a few feet and then descend into rapids. There are some places with some pretty decent rapids most notably that I can remember directly above and below Towanda, the ones directly below the Towanda bridge are probably the fastest. These aren't the type of rapids you would typically see in the whitewater videos but they aren't to take lightly either for a novice.

You really don't even need to go overnight, plan day trip. Drop off somewhere like falls and canoe down to West Pittston. That's the better part of afternoon.

Some tips:

• A canoe with weight in it is easier to control and more stable.
  • Wear a life jacket.
  • Secure all your belongings to the canoe, coolers, backpacks etc. Also secure the lid of the cooler if you have one so it cant open. I've only dumped it once in a particularly bad place that had a very large stump in the middle of a rapid above Towanda but it would have been a disaster financially and it would have ruined the trip. ***Don't tie yourself to the canoe.
  • If you do flip it remember the canoe floats.
  • When you get to the rapid, if you look at the water you'll see an upside down V or a funnel, aim for the middle of the V no matter where it is. In the middle isn't always the deepest point.
  • If its windy, you may want to consider doing it a different day. With enough wind you'll go backwards esopecially if you don't have a lot of weight in the canoe.
  • Roughly speaking when the river is low for every 20 minutes you drive up the river by car you can expect about 6 hours on the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania