Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking to move to Olyphant, right around the Burke bypass. I would like some input form residents who live there or people who know anything about Olyphant. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 08:30 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,969,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Hi! I'm looking to move to Olyphant, right around the Burke bypass. I would like some input form residents who live there or people who know anything about Olyphant. Any help would be appreciated!
I formerly lived in that general area, in Jessup and Archbald. Olyphant is OK...its similar to many of the other middle-class small towns in the Mid-Valley. Generally safe, and the school district (Mid-Valley) is decent. Although, with any towns, there are probably at least a few areas you may want to avoid, and since you mentioned the Burke By Pass, I do know that there is a low-income housing project right off of the bypass called Walsh Plaza, which is right behind the Olyphant Bottling beer distributor and the post office. I have heard of some problems in that project, as there are with most of the projects around....but nothing horrible like gun fights or anything, probably just some small-time drug activity. But unless you'll be living right next door to the projects, you should be fine.

Actually, the park that is right near the bypass, Condella Park, has some pretty nice walking trails that go through the woods in the park, and it connects via a footbridge over the river to Mellow Park in Peckville. I used to walk those trails every morning when I lived up there.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:48 AM

Well, that is all good to know. I think I saw the projects while riding around, we wouldn't be right next door, so I'm not concerned, as long as there are no shootings, like you said The park there did look nice, I didn't realize it was so big. Do you know if they allow dogs there? Here in my development, The Hideout, dogs are not allowed in any of the common areas. They do have a dog park, but it is just not my thing...
I'm looking forward to having neighbors next door that actually live in their houses. Also the convenience of being closer to shopping and the schools my kids attend.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,969,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Well, that is all good to know. I think I saw the projects while riding around, we wouldn't be right next door, so I'm not concerned, as long as there are no shootings, like you said The park there did look nice, I didn't realize it was so big. Do you know if they allow dogs there? Here in my development, The Hideout, dogs are not allowed in any of the common areas. They do have a dog park, but it is just not my thing...
I'm looking forward to having neighbors next door that actually live in their houses. Also the convenience of being closer to shopping and the schools my kids attend.

I'm pretty sure they do allow dogs.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Default The "Mystery of Olyphant"

I actually spent a lot of time in Olyphant last year for a grass roots research project about the supposed "Mystery of Olyphant." We were instructed to give a 20-minute presentation to the class about a local urban legend, and when we did a Google search, this topic arose. We went to the Interboro Library in nearby Peckville to study a manila envelope full of documents related to the topic, and we found the staff at the library, as well as nearby residents we interviewed, to be very friendly and helpful, albeit skeptical that such conspiracies existed. Here's a few highlights:

-There are many churches in the borough of Olyphant. When viewed in an aerial image, the churches form a perfect "Orion" constellation when lines are drawn between them.

-The town's elevation is twice the height of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

-When plotted on a map, the town's municipal boundaries form a near-perfect Sphynx statue, with the Lackawanna River forming the face of the creature.

-There's supposedly a "time portal" embedded within an old rail viaduct near Comdella Park. We were unable to locate such a portal, despite our best efforts.

-There used to be a large coal deposit in the southwestern side of town that resembled a perfect pyramid. This was located near to "LINE" Street, which, when rearranged, forms "NILE."

-There have been rumors of UFO sightings in and around the town over the years.

There were many, many other fascinating coincidences that linked this town to some sort of ancient Egyptian prophecy, and our project stunned our professor and earned us an "A." I'm not at the school's computer lab right now (where my many photos are saved), but on Monday I'll post some of our photos and research. This was truly quite a fascinating project, and it will probably go down as one of the highlights of my tenure at King's College.

Could Olyphant really be in the "Twilight Zone?"

Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
I'm pretty sure they do allow dogs.
Yes. When we walked around the park searching for the time portal, we saw plenty of furry friends frolicking about.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Wwo, that is quite interesting Paul! That sounds like someplace I'd like to live. I love a place with an interesting background!
That is good too that doges are allowed in the park. I drove by the park and thought it was nice. Right now my doggie has no social life (I. myself for that matter!)
My only concern is living near or possible on a culm pile. Is that a big deal or not? I just don't know what to think of it.
But then again, my Dad is from Swoyerville and he grew up and played on a culm pile for many years. When they all left Swoyerville and married, and brought the grandkids back for a visit, the cousins would head straight to the culm pile. It was kinda funny when I think back, my grandfather would yell and hollar because we were black with coal dust, and I never remember the parents or Aunts and Uncles saying anything. I think they were all secretly laughing inside because it brought back memories when they used to get hollared at for the same thing, and they knew what a good time we had. The parents and Aunts and Uncles never told us to stay away from there. Those were the good old days!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 17,086 times
Why live on a high traffic street like the bypass.....try looking down the flats or up fern hill area.........as far as projects, come to newark nj.......makes olyphant projects look like the taj mahal

Old 11-04-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpafoff View Post
Why live on a high traffic street like the bypass.....try looking down the flats or up fern hill area.........as far as projects, come to newark nj.......makes olyphant projects look like the taj mahal
I have basically eleminated Olyphant from my home search. I'm not familiar with where the flats of fern hill area are. Can't find that when you google!
Oh, I've seen projects...beleive me!
But when looking to sell and buy again, you really want to eleminate anything undesireable, no matter what degree it is.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 22,778 times
Kimberley Circle is another low income housing area in Olyphant, located in the Grassy Island area off of School street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania