Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Mission accomplished! I'm now signature #10. I whole-heartedly agree with you. I'd blindly guess that up to 1/4 of those visiting Knoebel's are likely from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area the way it is, and even more would visit a more local amusement park in Lackawanna County. Good luck!
I also like the location suggested, as it's right on the old laurel line tracks. Ideally, the park would be recreated there, with steamtown train excursions and trolley rides providing access as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
I also like the location suggested, as it's right on the old laurel line tracks. Ideally, the park would be recreated there, with steamtown train excursions and trolley rides providing access as well.
I agree. It would be nice if the trolleys would be interconnected to also ferry tourists to Nay Aug Park, the Everhart Museum, Steamtown, the coal mine tour, Houdini Museum, and other city attractions. Mass transit options should be a top priority, as the narrow roads of the Hill Section or those leading to Elmhurst Boulevard via Route 307 are all insufficient to handle the influx of traffic that an amusement park would bring.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 PM

[quote=hey-mom;553810][quote=Mark Z;502157]Posted by Princess Sunflower:

Quote:
If my Dad told me about Luna Park, I've forgotten about it. The postcard is awesome.
I lived directly across from what was Luna Park from the late 70's until my parents sold their home in 2002. Go to Elmhurst Blvd (directly across from 60 Elmhurst Blvd) and there was a large rock about 10 feet off the road. There was a plaque on it with information of Luna Park. My father had told me about it when I was younger. I have not been then since they left Scranton, so I am not sure if the large rock/plaque is still there. There were even reminents of buildings way back in the woods there.
Ok, I did some checking on this. There is indeed a large rock and plaque and the described location, but it is for Nay Aug Park, and not Luna. I trekked down through the woods (VERY dense this time of year) until I got to the old laurel line tracks. Even the tracks were densely covered in this area, so I decided to come at it from below and entered along the power lines off of Matthew Ave. I was unable to find the interurban tunnel, and I was restricted by a fence from getting near the outside 81 wall to look for any more clues. I might not find much of anything until the vegitation dies off. Where was the laurel line tunnel in regards to the park? I may have even passed it, the place was so overgrown. The GOOD news is that a decent stretch of the property that the laurel line follows is also dotted with high tension lines, and therefore protected for now. I also found three large concrete obelisks (sp?) in pairs along the tracks - what is the signifigance of these? Some were high, around 5+ feet, and they seemed to get progressively smaller, the last being about 3 feet high, and all about 5-6 feet apart and tapered out the outside to the top.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 AM

16 posts, read 58,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey-mom View Post
I lived directly across from what was Luna Park from the late 70's until my parents sold their home in 2002.
Hey so did I. My parents still live there. Our driveway terminated at the entrance to what was the bridge.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
Smile Pixes of Nay Aug Park

Fantastic pictures. I went to that park in 39 or 40. Nice to see the old trolley is still there. I was born on Mulberry St. nearer to the bottom crossroad. There was a grocery/soda fountain on the corner (?)

Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman L Jones Sr View Post
Fantastic pictures. I went to that park in 39 or 40. Nice to see the old trolley is still there. I was born on Mulberry St. nearer to the bottom crossroad. There was a grocery/soda fountain on the corner (?)
Thanks for the compliment. If by "crossroad" you mean Jefferson Avenue, there isn't a grocery store there any more. There is an old white mansion with large pillars on the NW corner of Mulberry & Jefferson that is being restored into some sort of bed & breakfast/event space. I believe the SW corner has a floral shop, and the NE and SE corners are part of the University of Scranton campus. That grocer might be in the building that now houses the florist.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:02 PM

There was a sub-level store on the next corner up, but the U bought the property and demolished it.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
It was Scotts grocery on the corner of Madison and Mulberry. There also was a building on the corner next to floral shop on Mulberry and Jefferson.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Thanks for the compliment. If by "crossroad" you mean Jefferson Avenue, there isn't a grocery store there any more. There is an old white mansion with large pillars on the NW corner of Mulberry & Jefferson that is being restored into some sort of bed & breakfast/event space. I believe the SW corner has a floral shop, and the NE and SE corners are part of the University of Scranton campus. That grocer might be in the building that now houses the florist.

Thoought maybe I should expand on this; the project is being called 'The Colonnade,' and was included in this past summer's hill section historic home tour. I was very happy to see the place getting some much needed resto work, and that the U didn't scoop it up and greate another parking lot/green space. It's owned by two gentlemen who are renovating it into a sort of bed and breakfast and adding a small ballroom area off the side to host events, weddings, etc. You can read more about it here: http://www.thecolonnade401.com/joomla/ (broken link)

Old 01-22-2008, 07:45 AM

Who's responsible for the editorial in the Times this morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania