Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times

Advertisements

What day does this open this year (I'm thinking today?), and what time does it start at night? I'm thinking 5:00 or 6:00 p.m., but I can't remember for sure. One year we got there too early and had to sit and wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
What's this all about???

Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
There's a Boulevard in Berwick that runs away from the river bridge. There's a grassy middle between the two lanes of traffic. The Berwick Jaycees (I think) and various businesses decorate this strip (a number of blocks long) with different themes in each area. There's usually an area telling the Christmas story from the book of Luke, an area with a kids' theme (like Spongebob or Scooby Doo or whatever is popular the the moment), areas of Santa's workshop, lights, action figures, and all kinds of neat things. In the middle of the stretch is Santa (until December 24), who hands out goodies (usually bags of chips or something from Wise - a Berwick industry, although one year we got some ribbon). You can make a donation here and there's a "mailbox" for kids to put their letters to Santa into.

We try to make the trip over every year, but I can never remember the time of evening it begins. I know it starts around now and runs into January. The Berwick web sites that I googled have some info, but not dates and times.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Thank You...I think I went once...a long time ago..and it was a LONG drive for us. nice though.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:08 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,124 times
Default I went once...

....years ago. I'm not fond of a slow-moving entourage of vehicles idling along, looking at plywood figures. Never went back. I prefer downtown holiday activities where everyone can walk! Tonight Bloomsburg is having Santa at his cottage on Main Street. Stores will be open until MIDNIGHT! The treefest will be open tonight. 150 Christmas tree are in full decoration inside! Other activities are going on tonight on Main Street. All is close proximity to one another. I'll be walking and enjoying all the festivities!

Downtown Bloomsburg, PA Upcoming Events

Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM

24 posts, read 64,325 times
The Berwick Christmas Boulevard begins tomorrow night at dark.

Me

Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,340 times
I haven't been to that since I was almost too young to remember it, I would like to go back and maybe take some pics. Coming in from Shickshinny, is it pretty much along the rt 11 road there?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 PM

537 posts, read 1,332,124 times
Default Downtown Bloomsburg Holiday Event

We had a great time, walking downtown Bloomsburg. Here are just a few photos from tonight.

Santas Cottage

Lori with "fresh" Santa!

Holiday band preparing at "Open Your Eyes To Dream" Gallery.

Chocolate for everyone! It was fantastic!

Inflatable elves ruled the streets!

Renegade sidewalk Santas were out and about caroling!!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:15 AM

24 posts, read 64,325 times
If you are coming from Shickshinny, travel along Rt 11 until you are forced to turn left which at that time you will see signs for it because that's usually where the line starts to form for the boulevard.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinberwick View Post
If you are coming from Shickshinny, travel along Rt 11 until you are forced to turn left which at that time you will see signs for it because that's usually where the line starts to form for the boulevard.
I just wanted to add that if possible one should visit when there is still a tinge of daylight left because as you are heading into Berwick (I think it is still technically the East Berwick section of Salem Township, Luzerne County, though) there is a stretch of Route 11 with some absolutely beautiful homes on the one side of the road with a cliff overlooking the river on the other side. My eventual Berwick Photo Tour will also include a sub-section for this part of Luzerne County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania