Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
(and here's the part that is hearsay/gossip) Apparently someone wanted someone in City Hall to apply for a federal grant for asbestos removal, but a few residents of Pottsville became upset about using federal money on just that one building that only a few people would benefit from --- totally dismissing the fact that 'that one building that only a few people would benefit from' could potentially set an example and serve as inspiration for other projects. Pottsville certainly has its fair share of abandoned buildings, unfortunately. Like I said, it's hearsay, not sure if this is the truth.
Sounds an awful lot like the short-sighted residents of Scranton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 PM

923 posts, read 3,095,071 times
I have seen so many beautiful buildings in Scranton torn down because they would be too costly to FIX !!! But, its NOT too costly to demolish them and rebuild.
I dunno !!! Money, money, money --- in somebodies pocket !!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
I have seen so many beautiful buildings in Scranton torn down because they would be too costly to FIX !!! But, its NOT too costly to demolish them and rebuild.
I dunno !!! Money, money, money --- in somebodies pocket !!
Speaking of which, I just learned about the big church that used to be on Main just below Luzerne. (Now part of the Fidelity bank parking lot.) I had spotted it on Google Maps one day and asked my in-laws about it.

They said it was a really nice building, but the Catholic church sold it and a bunch of others off. I'm not much of church-goer, but sad about the leveling of the building, and the change of the streetscape to a more suburban style, with set-back buildings and unnecessarily large parking lots.

It still shows up on google maps, btw:
Google Maps

Were any efforts made to save the building?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM

203 posts, read 577,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Speaking of which, I just learned about the big church that used to be on Main just below Luzerne. (Now part of the Fidelity bank parking lot.) I had spotted it on Google Maps one day and asked my in-laws about it.

They said it was a really nice building, but the Catholic church sold it and a bunch of others off. I'm not much of church-goer, but sad about the leveling of the building, and the change of the streetscape to a more suburban style, with set-back buildings and unnecessarily large parking lots.

It still shows up on google maps, btw:
Google Maps

Were any efforts made to save the building?

Yep, but it was another one of the many Catholic churches closed in the past few years.
I still can't believe it was torn down to put in (I think I heard) a Sheetz which then turned into the monstrosity that currently stands there.
Yeesh.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonWest View Post
Yep, but it was another one of the many Catholic churches closed in the past few years.
I still can't believe it was torn down to put in (I think I heard) a Sheetz which then turned into the monstrosity that currently stands there.
Yeesh.
Why be surprised? Have you ever been to Downtown Pittston? Here you will see a drive-thru CVS, drive-thru Rite-Aid, drive-thru banks, Burger King, dirt parking lots, and a small strip mall all where historic buildings once majestically graced our downtown's arteries. Now that two of the city's Roman Catholic churches as well as two of the city's Roman Catholic schools have closed, I'm waiting to see them all torn down as well to make way for a Blockbuster Video and a Pizza Hut. Architecturally speaking nothing is sacred here in NEPA.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
I graduated from West Scranton in 1976. At that time I believe that those who lived in the boundaries of West Scranton went to West Side and the rest of the city had a choice to attend Central or Tech. Central was for academics primarily and Tech the trades although I too knew those from Tech that went on to schools of higher learning. West Side had the trades,academics and the arts available.
Those who lived in the Tripp park area had the choice to attend West,Central or Tech because Tripp park extended so far North. The Boundaries changed as the years went on. I believe at one time right before they built the new high school that Scranton High was the old Tech High and Central was closed because the SSD couldn't pay to restore the building. Lackawanna Junior College did and it is a beautiful campus today.
My Mother told me that when she attended West it was a Junior high school that went up to the 11th grade then you had to choose either Tech or Central for your Senior year.
I believe That it was 1943 that West Scranton became a Junior,Senior High School. West Scranton fielded its first football team in either 43 or 44. During this time frame WWII was going on and the allied forces Invaded the beaches of Normandy pushed inland and saved the world from the Nazi movement. In honor of the brave heros the mascot chosen for West was a Soldier and the name INVADERS have graced the name of West athletic teams to its present day and is the only school in the country to use its name.
This created great pride through out the years in the city's West Side. When Scranton High School was being built the plan was to have one high school and close West Side. West Scranton residents were very vocal about this decision and brought their protests to city council and ssd board meeting. West Scranton residents wante their neighborhood school. A banner was erected .on Main avenue as you entered Hyde Park that read 'Welcome to West Side..home of the..INVADERS'. Time will tell if West remains open and if only one high school will be enough for the residents of Scranton. But until then Scranton and West Side high's have forged a rivalry that the whole city can be proud of and enjoy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania