Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:12 PM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Each one the new store fronts in the plain suburb cookie cutter strip mall could of easily been made to look like the old fronts with the parking in the rear of the building, that intersection is going to become a nightmare with people coming and going from the strip mall even with a new light. Not to mention that it just doesn't fit in with the surrounding buildings...
Amen. I'm with you on having the parking in rear and keeping store fronts on the street, and yeah, give 'em a bit more character than a monotonous strip mall. I do think Jay's Commons is a bit better than most strip malls on these counts, but still wish it fit in better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Look at Main st ice cream in North Scranton on main ave and the parking and traffic nightmares that it causes, they are jammed in the hot months and it causes problems at the gas station next door and the owners are always battling about it.
Huh, I went there quite a few times this summer and didn't see serious tangles. Maybe just wasn't there at the wrong times.

But, yeah, Mannings could be a big draw. I think there may be some additional parking behind it-- hard to tell. I'll be walking over, so at least parking won't be an issue for me.

I do hope the new light/entrance won't tie things up on Main Ave too much. Old Forge added a similar entrance to the stupid CVS that swallowed the main intersection in town--getting through there is noticeably slower even though there aren't many people coming in or out of the CVS..

NYR, I guess you're right, we'll have to see how it goes.

For me, the Mannings will more than compensate for at least some occasional delays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
I'll have to check out Pittston one of these days, only been in W. Pittston. My ~grandma-in-law in Old Forge says she used to do most of her shopping in Pittston back when it was a thriving town. Back when lollipops were a half-pence and Scranton had Special Stab-free Saturdays.
You're not missing much. If you want to see what Pittston used to look like before terrible "downtown urban renewal" initiatives in the 1970s-1980s as well as before adjacent Pittston Township started crapping out sprawl from the 1990s-Present then head to Savo's Family Restaurant in the Pittston Commons (ironically in Pittston Township---another business that moved from downtown to the suburbs decades ago). They have a beautiful mural inside their restaurant showcasing what Downtown Pittston looked like in the 1960s---lined completely with thriving brick storefronts, traffic congestion, heavy pedestrian activity, etc. Pittston really used to be a thriving mecca. Now it has 7,000 residents---1/3 of its heyday population---and continues to shed more and more of that each day. Pittston wasn't an "awful" place for me to have grown up since it's also a relatively socially liberal stronghold for NEPA, but the town had so much going for it and threw it all away. It has lost too much to EVER make a full recovery---too much history has been decimated for parking lots, drive-thru banks, drive-thru chain drug stores, drive-thru fast-food restaurants, and other suburban-style calamities (not to mention that Dan Siniawa will NEVER get his penthouse condo towers off the ground in my lifetime).

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Maybe we'll have Manning's Ice Cream in West Side in time for Summer 2010 at this pace....

Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Passed by the new Manning's last night, and the big neon OPEN sign was finally lit.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Passed by the new Manning's last night, and the big neon OPEN sign was finally lit.
Yes, I saw that, nearly had a heart attack that it was actually open.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
I'll be stopping there for milk from now on. Locally produced milk, no hormones....

Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'll be stopping there for milk from now on. Locally produced milk, no hormones....
Yeah, it tastes great too, and is cheap. Love that the low-fat and skim are progressively cheaper.

I wish they made butter, too.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 AM

Jay’s Commons plaza in West Scranton well on its way | News | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2009/01/18/news/doc497325a81f4db634376224.txt - broken link)

an update in the ST today.. says state rep Kevin Murphy has taken one space, and possibly a diagnostic lab in another.

medicine shoppe + diagnostic lab + politicians office = <snooze>. better than empty i suppose. thank the gods for mannings..

i'd personally rather our state rep chose to rehabilitate one of the other storefronts that needs it, than to take up a new, ready-for-retail storefront... shrug..

Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Jay’s Commons plaza in West Scranton well on its way | News | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2009/01/18/news/doc497325a81f4db634376224.txt - broken link)

an update in the ST today.. says state rep Kevin Murphy has taken one space, and possibly a diagnostic lab in another.

medicine shoppe + diagnostic lab + politicians office = <snooze>. better than empty i suppose. thank the gods for mannings..

i'd personally rather our state rep chose to rehabilitate one of the other storefronts that needs it, than to take up a new, ready-for-retail storefront... shrug..
Very boring plaza. I thought they were putting a Dunkin' Donuts there?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Very boring plaza. I thought they were putting a Dunkin' Donuts there?
Oh yes, Ed. A Dunkin' Donuts would REALLY spice things up too!? LOL! In all seriousness though, why does a politician need a drive-through window?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania