Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:41 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,134,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
With all due respect, I'm not sure that kind of testimony would stand up in court.

See, I can imagine a LOT of reasons for a desperate and disrespectful act like this - not only drug addiction. Medical bills, court costs from previous crimes, the electric was turned off, etc. Now, I'm the last guy to depend on the courts to solve my problems - I tend to be a "hands-on" kinda' guy, if you know what I mean - and I have no sympathy for hard-core addicts. But the way courts (and their symbiotic-relationship lawyers) are run these days, one of the family members could see this post, print it and run it over to their lawyer, and he'll end up suing you and C-D - all because you caused him so much pain and suffering by calling him a druggie, when he's really just a child-molesting alcoholic.
according to the Sacred Scrolls...the terms of service...and I quote...
"You agree that you are solely responsible for anything you post on the
city-data.com forum and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless city
data.com and it's owners and employees with respect to any claims
based upon your posts/submissions...
this is just a little FYI for everyone...good post...

Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
according to the Sacred Scrolls...the terms of service...and I quote...
"You agree that you are solely responsible for anything you post on the
city-data.com forum and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless city
data.com and it's owners and employees with respect to any claims
based upon your posts/submissions...
this is just a little FYI for everyone...good post...
LOL - thanks! I should have known...

Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 AM

433 posts, read 961,050 times
Default Getting discouraged

Since yesterday, I've been lurking behind the scenes and reading everyone's posts on this forum. I also found stuff online {CNN referring to Scranton as being one of America's Fastest-Dying Cities}, and most recently this thread.
I am getting sooooo discouraged!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,977,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Since yesterday, I've been lurking behind the scenes and reading everyone's posts on this forum. I also found stuff online {CNN referring to Scranton as being one of America's Fastest-Dying Cities}, and most recently this thread.
I am getting sooooo discouraged!!!!
I wouldn't get discouraged.....this kind of crap happens everywhere. No areas are immune to drug problems.

And that "dying cities" article was a joke....it was nothing but a baseless article based on common stereotypes....they took the common "rust belt" cities like Youngstown, Scranton, Buffalo, Cleveland, etc, and printed the usual stereotypes...they didn't actually come here and do any research.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,131,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Its just time to stop coddling these people and put them behind bars for good already.....
We already have 1 in 100 people in the U.S. behind bars and it hasn't worked yet and its not going too. If i have my facts straight most of them are behind bars for petty drug offenses or something associated with drugs. There is simply too many people that use drugs to put them all behind bars. The "War on Drugs" has been going on for what? 2 decades almost 3 decades? They haven't stemmed the flow and I'd imagine it has actually increased.

As long as enormous profits can be made there will be drugs available for those that want to use them. The only practical solution is to take the profitability away and legalize them. You'll eliminate most if not all the crime associated with it. You can free up the jails for violent criminals so they can stay there longer. Get these people out of jail and provide treatment for those that want it and hope a lot of them take the offer.

More people in jail is only going to cost you and me more money and provide no benefit at all,. the only thing it accomplishes is to teach them how to be better criminals.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-18-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,977,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
We already have 1 in 100 people in the U.S. behind bars and it hasn't worked yet and its not going too. If i have my facts straight most of them are behind bars for petty drug offenses or something associated with drugs. There is simply too many people that use drugs to put them all behind bars. The "War on Drugs" has been going on for what? 2 decades almost 3 decaqdes? They haven't stemmed the flow and I'd imagine it has actually increased.

As long as enomous profits can be made there will be drugs available for those that want to use them. The only practical solution is to take the profitability away and legalize them. You'll eliminate most if not all the crime associated with it. You can free up the jails for violent criminals so they can stay there longer. Get hese peopl out of jail and provide treatment for those that want it and hope a lot of them take the offer.

More people in jail is only going to cost you and me more money and provide no benefit at all,. the only thing it accomplishes is to teach them how to be better criminals.

Its one thing if someone is using drugs...but when their expensive habit forces them to rob and steal from others, it doesn't matter if the drugs are legal or not. Especially people like this who seem to be repeat offenders, are given many chances for rehab, and continue to do drugs and steal.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The thing about these drug addicts is the drugs rule their life....they will
lie,steal,kill,they don't care,as long as they get that high...they steal from
family,the elderly,don't matter,no regret,no remorse...

I'd agree with the first part but I don't think the no regret or no remorse fits most drug addicts. The know very well what they are doing is wrong, regret doing and have remorse AFTER they get high. The power of addiction for Heroin is so great you can become addicted to it the first time you use it. It's all down hill from there and they simply cannot stop.

A childhood friend of mine got hooked on that ****. Was a sad day he came to me and started crying telling me he was addicted. He told me point blnak he could not be trusted and not leave anything of value where he could get to it. He knew he couldn't control himself... H e ended up passing away but it wasn't from the drugs, I don't even know if I could say it was a bad thing he was so hooked. His life was ruined.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Its one thing if someone is using drugs...but when their expensive habit forces them to rob and steal from others, it doesn't matter if the drugs are legal or not. Especially people like this who seem to be repeat offenders, are given many chances for rehab, and continue to do drugs and steal.
What makes drugs expensive is the because they are illegal. A single gram of cocaine goes for hundred dollars +..... That can be manufactured in a controlled industrialized environment for pennies. Your typical junkie can burn through as much money as he get his hands on in day.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,134,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree with the first part but I don't think the no regret or no remorse fits most drug addicts. The know very well what they are doing is wrong, regret doing and have remorse AFTER they get high. The power of addiction for Heroin is so great you can become addicted to it the first time you use it. It's all down hill from there and they simply cannot stop.

A childhood friend of mine got hooked on that ****. Was a sad day he came to me and started crying telling me he was addicted. He told me point blnak he could not be trusted and not leave anything of value where he could get to it. He knew he couldn't control himself... H e ended up passing away but it wasn't from the drugs, I don't even know if I could say it was a bad thing he was so hooked. His life was ruined.
Herion had made a big comeback some years back,the worst thing about it
it probably is the most addicting drug out there....the first time it is tried
the high is so great,you have to keep trying to get that high again...
this is from some of the indivivuals I have had to deal with,and not many had remorse or regret,just sorry they got caught...this is from my experience
in law enforcement....

Old 08-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
the high is so great,you have to keep trying to get that high again...
They call it "Chasing the Dragon", trouble is they'll never catch it. The receptors in your brain becomes accustomed to the stimulation even after the first time. the more you take the less effect you get. Similar to cigarettes for those that smoke cigarettes, when you first start there is very intense high but once you start smoking a lot the high ceases to exist. and you're just feeding the craving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania