Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Economically Scranton is almost dead though. It really says something when college graduates are working in big-box retail (I have a co-worker at Lowe's with an MBA, for example, and another with a B.S.) because they were unable to locate employment more commensurate with their educational attainment level. I have an interview today at 1 PM for a position in Philadelphia. If offered the position, I just might accept it. I once had such love, hope, and promise for our region, but it's just the same old garbage day after day---people like Dan and his Legion of Doom saying how "awful" life is in NEPA, teenage pregnancies being accepted, "high culture" being going to high school football games after tailgating a few hours, people thinking "progress" is tearing down historic buildings along our Main Streets for parking lots and fast-food restaurants, tossing around racial and cultural slurs as if they were going out of fashion, etc. I'm just losing hope for this area, and since I've already wasted my teenage and college years hoping and praying that we'd be saved somehow by Wall Street West, a commuter train to Hoboken, "The Office", etc., it just ain't happening.
Give Les Spindler a call....he can probably hook you up with a Legion of Doom shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Quote:
Economically Scranton is almost dead though. It really says something when college graduates are working in big-box retail (I have a co-worker at Lowe's with an MBA, for example, and another with a B.S.) because they were unable to locate employment more commensurate with their educational attainment level. I have an interview today at 1 PM for a position in Philadelphia. If offered the position, I just might accept it. I once had such love, hope, and promise for our region, but it's just the same old garbage day after day---people like Dan and his Legion of Doom saying how "awful" life is in NEPA, teenage pregnancies being accepted, "high culture" being going to high school football games after tailgating a few hours, people thinking "progress" is tearing down historic buildings along our Main Streets for parking lots and fast-food restaurants, tossing around racial and cultural slurs as if they were going out of fashion, etc. I'm just losing hope for this area, and since I've already wasted my teenage and college years hoping and praying that we'd be saved somehow by Wall Street West, a commuter train to Hoboken, "The Office", etc., it just ain't happening.
Uh oh, had a feeling your hopes would crash given how high your expectations were. It's important to have low expectations, especially for somewhere that's had a rough half century, and then maybe you can get positively surprised once in a while.

It's a very unique place, which has its unique sets of pros and cons. Gotta enjoy the pros and laugh about the cons, at least the ones you can laugh at.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
From what I E-know of you I think it would be the absolute best thing for you to travel outside of your home region for a while. For me the life experience of leaving my comfort zone and looking in from the outside has been of great value. Perhaps you'll learn to love somewhere else, or your feelings towards NEPA will be strengthened. Do something adventurous and educational while you can, once you find someone to settle down with and adopt the kids you want you will be pretty tied to the area it happens in. Don't miss the opportunity to grow.

Also, many of the people that hire in NEPA LOVE to see work experience from elsewhere. It may end up earning you a higher salary if you do return with 2 or 3 years of experience for a good company out of town. I have been offered equal to and more than i am making here at some jobs there because of my experience. That would be like getting a 10-15% raise over what i am getting here.

This E-stranger behind a keyboard 3,000 miles away thinks you should go for it. The worst that could happen is you have to go back home, or the best that could happen is you want to return home with a new love for the area.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM

202 posts, read 568,106 times
Default o.k so they said it was dying

but the full interview showed Scranton as a fairly nice place and Scrantonites happy and proud to be here - it gave some positive points - the young lady that was interviewed came accross well - the town looked o.k - it's not New York but it is unique.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,744 times
Quote:
Don't think of it as giving up on this area !!! I think the best thing our young people can do is get out of this are - move, work, socialize. Then make a decision. I did that, I lived in Chicago for several years and guess what, I came back !!!!! And appreciated this area more than ever.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
It really says something when college graduates are working in big-box retail (I have a co-worker at Lowe's with an MBA, for example, and another with a B.S.)

You also have to remember that a college degree is not a guarantee of a high-paying job right after you graduate. You still will have to prove yourself and work your way up. Some people almost have a sense of entitlement and are really shocked and angry when they're not just handed a great job just because they have a degree. I had to work some crappy jobs even after I graduated from college. Also, I think college degrees are becoming dime-a-dozen these days...it seems almost everyone is going to college anymore. A bachelor's degree today is probably worth about the same as a high school diploma was 30 years ago. I think people have a better shot at a good career making good $$$ by taking up a trade or going to a techinical school these days as opposed to going to a traditional college.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
---people like Dan and his Legion of Doom saying how "awful" life is in NEPA,

I've already wasted my teenage and college years hoping and praying that we'd be saved somehow by Wall Street West, a commuter train to Hoboken, "The Office", etc., it just ain't happening.
Paul you need to relax alittle..I have never said that living in NEPA is awful. Scranton sucks and right now its a financial black hole that will take generations to close and thats the reality of the city....It sucks right now and is only getting worse and it will continue down this road until Doherty is removed from office.

I'm not sure what to say, other then if you have "wasted" your teenage years and college praying for those items to come in and save Scranton you need to get out, you need to take a year off between school and your carreer and travel, you need to see the country and or world outdside of NEPA and the NE united states.

It seems like a terrible waste of time and a life to sit and wait for things that are in reality 10-15 years off. You honestly can't tell me that you really thought that wall st west, a commuter train and the "Office" were going to be able to grap this city by its bootstraps and pick it up out of the financial abyss that its in did you?

Its going to take alot more then that, that is for sure.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM

63 posts, read 171,799 times
ScranBarre, I've always admired your optimism for NEPA but always felt that you are young and should move out of the area to see what it is like to live somewhere else. You can always move back. I moved out when I was 25 and my only regret is that I didn't move out sooner. So, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR INTERVIEW!!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM

There's also the flip side to this moving out argument. I came very close to moving out after I graduated from college, and am very glad that I stayed.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
I left.......I left every winter break in college to go out west and work for a few weeks to ski and I spent every summer thru high school and college at the shore w/ grandma then in college I would rent my own place till I moved back there for a few years.

I moved to the USVI for a while and lived in the middle east(Israel), Europe, Bahamas for a time and those moves are the reason why I fight so hard for this city, but they are also the reason that I have an objective opinion of what I think this city can be and can't be....

I love Scranton and I'll fight for it, but the fight has to be within reason and that fight now is debt and over-spending because if we do not get that under control then we will not have much of a city to fight for.

You really have no idea what you have here unless you leave and then comeback.

Paul your young and you have a whole life ahead of you so why not travel?, Why not go after school and see this country? Why not? Whats the hurry to grow up so fast? Be young and go while you still can and then you can always come home, its not like Scranton is going anywhere anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania