Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsgirl827 View Post
Again, that's BS. I tried to apply for measly food stamps because we have a house and a car and other stuff to pay for and with the economy the way its heading, yeah money is tight and food is a PRIORITY. We go a lot hungrier than we should. My sister pays the electric bill, her bf pays the phone/internet/cable bill. Bf pays the rest including his truck payment, and I have my own car/insurance to pay and don't make all that much money.

Stop effing generalizing!
Just by the way you talk with your rude "shut your mouth" comments goes to show how well your mother raised you. I don't even have to try to make my case, your manners make my case about welfare people without me even saying a word. You are your own worse enemy. If you read what I wrote instead of cherry picking it, you'd know that I said "there is a place for welfare, but it has been sacked and taken over by undeserving, and lazy people who find loop holes in the system and take advantage of it in many, many cases." I myself was on foodstamps at one point in my life, so I can easily claim that there is very little regulation, and zero check-ups from first hand experience! I believe welfare bennefit's should be avaliable for the working poor. Notice that I said WORKING poor. There are millions of people in this country that work for places like Wal-Marts and Turkey Hills that work just as hard and in many cases much harder then most folks, and they do deserve a helping hand, but at the same time they should strive to better thier situation (if possible) to get out of the bad situation they are in. My comments were directed to those who cheat the system, drug dealers that live off thier girlfriends welfare check and foodstamps while selling crack on the side, career welfare recipients that spend all thier brainpower trying to find ways to make welfare a way of life, lazy people that have nothing wrong with them, but flat out refuse to work. And as far as the drug testing and other regulations I have mentioned? Your damn right I think the government should enforce each and everyone of them! If you or your mother don't like it, then there are many bridges to set up a box under, or shelters to live in...go find one! I and many HARD WORKING taxpayers owe you nothing! That is what JOBS are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,584,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Do you really need cable and internet if you can't afford food? Not exactly necessities.

Plus, if you don't have any kids, there's nothing stopping you from getting a second job.
Exactly, and what is it with people just popping out kids left and right when they can barely support themselves? I'm sorry, but I have a problem with my tax dollars going to women on welfare to support their 5 or so kids they never should have had in the first place. If only being on birth control was a requirement of receiving welfare, maybe then we could BEGIN to address the problem. I swear, some people put more thought into which model cell phone they're going to buy than whether or not they're financially stable enough to have a kid.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Can we please get back on topic? (and this is coming from the drama queen that occasionally veers us off-topic!)

To add insult to injury we just received another alert that ANOTHER student was involved in an attempted mugging on Monday at the intersection of North Washington & East Union Streets (the very slummy neighborhood near where I used to park). There are now bulletins placed on the entry doors of most campus buildings warning students to travel in groups.

I concur with Chefkey. Perhaps Mayor Leighton should do a little less telling people "Go F- Yourself" and a little more beefing up patrols in the area around King's? I want to take my friends to Cork soon to enjoy a nice dinner and see what the place is like. Should I be packing heat to go there?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-18-2008 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Can we please get back on topic? (and this is coming from the drama queen that occasionally veers us off-topic!)

To add insult to injury we just received another alert that ANOTHER student was involved in an attempted mugging on Monday at the intersection of North Washington & East Union Streets (the very slummy neighborhood near where I used to park). There are now bulletins placed on the entry doors of most campus buildings warning students to travel in groups.

I concur with Chefkey. Perhaps Mayor Leighton should do a little less telling people "Go F- Yourself" and a little more beefing up patrols in the area around King's? I want to take my friends to Cork soon to enjoy a nice dinner and see what the place is like. Should I be packing heat to go there?
You will not have to "pack heat" to go to Cork. Cork is several blocks up the road from were this happened. I'm sure a sling shot or water pistol will do just fine.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the issue is time out does not work aka confinement. we have to start punishing criminals.
this works. also, decriminalize self defense and ban personal injury law suits when injury occurs in the commision of a crime. do this and crime will nose dive jails will become empty.
yes people have the right to own weapons but god help them or cops if they use them.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:34 AM

513 posts, read 1,080,314 times
Quote:
Again, that's BS. I tried to apply for measly food stamps because we have a house and a car and other stuff to pay for and with the economy the way its heading, yeah money is tight and food is a PRIORITY. We go a lot hungrier than we should. My sister pays the electric bill, her bf pays the phone/internet/cable bill. Bf pays the rest including his truck payment, and I have my own car/insurance to pay and don't make all that much money.

Stop with the vieled profanity, it has no place in civil discourse. When you bought your car, could you have afforded a vehicle that is serviceable but less expensive, possibly without financing at all? If not, you took on a debt for a luxury. If at least one of you has a cell phone, no need for phone in the home. Cable TV and internet service are luxuries as well. Not as blatant as the examples cited in other posts, but still not absolute neccessities. Would they be sacrifices to give up? Yes, without a doubt. But the point of these several posts which you've taken offense to is that no one deserves public assistance while spending their own money on luxuries. No one said or believes that every one on welfare abuses the system, but there are abusers, and blatant ones at that. And they all convince themselves that their actions are justified, just like you probably feel justified in making car payments and having Internet services while asking for public assistance.
I wish you no ill will, I sincerely hope your economic outlook improves quickly, or that you can find ways to cut costs.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
Quote:

Why do you need cable and internet if you can't afford food? That's the first i have to let go when i'm low on money.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
Stop with the vieled profanity, it has no place in civil discourse. When you bought your car, could you have afforded a vehicle that is serviceable but less expensive, possibly without financing at all? If not, you took on a debt for a luxury. If at least one of you has a cell phone, no need for phone in the home. Cable TV and internet service are luxuries as well. Not as blatant as the examples cited in other posts, but still not absolute neccessities. Would they be sacrifices to give up? Yes, without a doubt. But the point of these several posts which you've taken offense to is that no one deserves public assistance while spending their own money on luxuries. No one said or believes that every one on welfare abuses the system, but there are abusers, and blatant ones at that. And they all convince themselves that their actions are justified, just like you probably feel justified in making car payments and having Internet services while asking for public assistance.
I wish you no ill will, I sincerely hope your economic outlook improves quickly, or that you can find ways to cut costs.
Well said! I was thinking exactly what you wrote. There is a sense of entitlement among many in the welfare class. Many feel that the world somehow owes them a living, because they cannot make it on thier own. When someone who has enjoyed the welfare gravy train as bjsgirl has, and instead of thanking all the working people that have supported her and her mother, instead flips out because people are getting sick and tired of having to support deadbeats when they are barely getting by themselves, it makes me want to restrict welfare all the more. Bjsgirl should be thanking us for keeping her family from being homeless or living in shelters, not flipping out because a few of us have spoken out against the many, many problems with the current welfare system and how it is run!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:12 AM

We are paying for the welfare system. WE ARE ENTITLED TO HAVE AN OPINION ON HOW IT IS RUN!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 AM

37 posts, read 99,541 times
"If you or your mother don't like it, then there are many bridges to set up a box under, or shelters to live in...go find one! I and many HARD WORKING taxpayers owe you nothing! That is what JOBS are for."

^We don't need to thanks. We both have HOUSES (granted my home is my bf's house, but still). And my mother is no longer on welfare. She BUSTS HER ***** (and always did). Apparently you're not a single parent struggling with 3 kids are you?

"Exactly, and what is it with people just popping out kids left and right when they can barely support themselves? I'm sorry, but I have a problem with my tax dollars going to women on welfare to support their 5 or so kids they never should have had in the first place. If only being on birth control was a requirement of receiving welfare, maybe then we could BEGIN to address the problem. I swear, some people put more thought into which model cell phone they're going to buy than whether or not they're financially stable enough to have a kid. "

^Um, my mother was MARRIED when the 3 of us were born! Things happen, marriages fall apart. Nobody is perfect. And even when my mother was on welfare SHE paid taxes herself!! Why do you think she had such a hard time raising 3 kids? Government took all of her d@mn money (well, enough of it that she struggled).

"Stop with the vieled profanity, it has no place in civil discourse. When you bought your car, could you have afforded a vehicle that is serviceable but less expensive, possibly without financing at all? If not, you took on a debt for a luxury. If at least one of you has a cell phone, no need for phone in the home. Cable TV and internet service are luxuries as well. Not as blatant as the examples cited in other posts, but still not absolute neccessities. Would they be sacrifices to give up? Yes, without a doubt. But the point of these several posts which you've taken offense to is that no one deserves public assistance while spending their own money on luxuries. No one said or believes that every one on welfare abuses the system, but there are abusers, and blatant ones at that. And they all convince themselves that their actions are justified, just like you probably feel justified in making car payments and having Internet services while asking for public assistance.
I wish you no ill will, I sincerely hope your economic outlook improves quickly, or that you can find ways to cut costs."

^I also told you all that bf and I DON'T pay for internet phone and cable (its a packaged deal), bf's cousin does since he lives with us! As for my car, no its not a luxury. I live 10 miles from the nearest town, and we are in the sticks with no bus system. Therefore my car is a requirement, not a luxury. And to get a car with no financing means I had to have money saved up, and that requires a job to save the money. I was in a car accident back in April and my car was 'totaled' so I had no way to get to work. The insurance company did not cover the total cost of the car so that's where my savings went to. Therefore I HAD to finance a car.

Oh and he DID generalize, giving all of us welfare people a bad name.

"Why do you need cable and internet if you can't afford food? That's the first i have to let go when i'm low on money."

^We have food, but my sister pays for it and then ******* when I eat it because she thinks she has reign over this house. So I was going to apply for food stamps to shut her up and she'd have gher food for her and her bf, and I'd have mine for me and my bf. key words though are "were going to". The more I thought about it I didn't for one, pride. Second, bf makes too much money in their eyes, regardless of the fact that there is a mortgage to pay, the truck to pay for, and a few other house bills. Government doesn't give a rat's behind about that. They just look at your income, not your living expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania