Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Well, it just came on the local channel that Owl Chrysler Jeep closed abruptly. The building is empty. This was a brand new building from what I hear, up in Honesdale.
So, just thinking about this financial mess out there and how the banks are not giving out loans........Will this be the first of many in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Owl Chrysler closes its doors - Honesdale, PA - Wayne Independent (http://www.wayneindependent.com/news/x466665841/Owl-Chrysler-closes-its-doors - broken link)
Here is the article today on this.........A long time business of the area.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,903 times
Does anyone else think that this is a case of several years of financial problems building up?

Could it be a case of too much expansion without the solid numbers to justify it, and this current economical crisis was the final nail?

How long has it been "difficult" to get a loan? A few months maybe?

I was talking with one of the employees at Burne Honda a few weeks ago and he told me that the dealership could probably survive for a year without a single sale...because they're financially stable...

Could it be - the economy coupled with management? Are we ever going to blame management, rather than the big bad "economy?"

I am not an economist, but it seems to me that this fallout is from the build up of a couple years worth of problems?

Or maybe they just cut out while they were ahead, looking at what's looming ahead. Who knows?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
Yes that building in Honesdale is only a year or two old, and very nice! What a shame, I always hate to see local people go out of business, no matter what kind of business.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
You will see more of this. 16 million car sales to 11 million this year.

I was at one dealership(high end import) in California on business this year that was built in one of those areas that over expanded. Imagine a town with a mall, endless number of strip mall stores, restaurants and some car dealerships and it's a ghost town. This dealership had a full lot of cars, no business and had let go of most of it's staff. I suspect if I went back there today, the place would be closed.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
It's a shame to hear that this happened.

I'm curious, however, to know if anyone actually tried to get a car loan and was denied. I keep hearing about how apparently 'nobody' is lending right now, yet I don't know anyone who has been denied. I also bought a Jeep last month and had no problem securing financing through a credit union at a great rate.

I didn't buy a house I couldn't afford, pay my bills on time, and I have a great credit score, but seriously, it didn't seem like any of the other people at the dealership were having a hard time. I keep hearing about how people with good credit are being denied.

Thoughts?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:22 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
I was rather surprised to hear that Owl went out of business, however, I also can't think of one person that I know that has ever bought a car from them and I have lived in Wayne/Pike Counties for my entire life. I seems like when a business just closes its doors so abruptly, there's something going on with the management and/or owners.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
It's a shame to hear that this happened.

I'm curious, however, to know if anyone actually tried to get a car loan and was denied. I keep hearing about how apparently 'nobody' is lending right now, yet I don't know anyone who has been denied. I also bought a Jeep last month and had no problem securing financing through a credit union at a great rate.

I didn't buy a house I couldn't afford, pay my bills on time, and I have a great credit score, but seriously, it didn't seem like any of the other people at the dealership were having a hard time. I keep hearing about how people with good credit are being denied.

Thoughts?
You make a great point in your post. It seems if you watch much of the morning news programs (like Good Morning America) you'll hear all these scary statistics, such as "many Americans can't get loans", when in reality it just isn't true for ninety-five percent of the population. The best one was when they revealed that "many people plan on spending less this holiday season". Is there ever a holiday season when people say "Hell, I think I'm going to spend double this year!". I'm not sure what to believe anymore regarding the economy. I can say that I was at the mall yesterday, traffic was heavy and there were lines at the registers. It really doesn't seem to be any different than other years.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
The Auto Industry going under is a direct result of overlending practices by the banks in Real Estate which has hurt credit approvals across the board. Many Auto dealers who relied on credit aren't getting approvals anymore, hence the drop in profit and the stalling of their business.

I am sure we also have the fear factor to blame as no one wants a big ticket item like a new car right now.

As Greentown said though, people are still spending but it is for that HDTV for $800 or DVD player for $100 not the 30,000 Hummer.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
What is going to happen is loans are going back to the old days where you have to make decent income and actually pay your bills. Most of reason we are in this mess now is banks and financial companies giving loans to people that cannot afford them. The system has been an enabler of people that continuously overspend and now it's time for everyone to pay up. There was only so long we could continue to give $500,000 loans and new cars to people that never paid their bills to begin with and didn't make the income.

It's going to take years for this economy to completely right itself even if we have GDP growth next year. 2007-08 was the shock and awe panic, 2009+ is going to be a long road of getting back to basics and common sense and actually paying our bills and loans. The past two decades was giving almost everyone a new home and/or a new car, the next two decades are going to be paying for them. Time for everyone to stop equating debt=income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania