Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,133 times

Advertisements

Last year I had a less than gratifying experience with a certain charity that shall remain nameless -- I took names of two kids off a Christmas tree and shopped for them based on the list - I bought full outfits, including shoes and winter coats, along with several toys, and dropped them off in person at the organization, and while I was thanked pleasantly, I've since come to hear (though I have no proof) that at this charity, these types of personal bundles of gifts do not necessarily go to the intended recipient - that they are unbundled and divvied up, sometimes even among staff or volunteers.

I'm looking for people who have firsthand experience that the donations really do go to the kid on the tree, just to use one example.

Can anyone solidly vouch for any of our local organizations?

I am in Monroe County and would like to give to people in our area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Your local Food bank would be a place to start: Second Harvest Food Bank - Monro County

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Right, but do they take other than food? I'm talking toys and such...

Old 11-28-2012, 04:04 PM

How about this place? Family Promise of Monroe County (hope it's not the bad one. )

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times
I can understand splitting up a large gift to one child. If another child isn't getting anything, i'd have no problem with them taking something from my donation to give to another recipient. But for the charity workers? I hope not!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Right, but do they take other than food? I'm talking toys and such...
Toys for Tots? They take cash donations too. Some food banks will take donations of pet food and household items like laundry detergent and personal care items.

Secret Santa? I used to do that for an elderly woman who lived in a semi-rural area. A couple of times a year I would drop a few bags of groceries on her porch. Well, you have to be careful with that but, I think that most would appreciate house cleanser, batteries, canned goods... and a little treat like a small box of chocolates or a scented candle.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions -- keep 'em coming! Hope others can get something out of it as well...

Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Perhaps you could contact a church organization, Lions club or some organization of that nature that could recommend a family. Go meet them and deliver your donation in person. I've thought of doing this myself in the past. I have friend that runs a successful business that did this years ago, it think it might have been the Rotary Club that ran the program.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,630 times
I know that whenever I did an Angel Tree (I'm thinking that's probably the gist of what you are talking about) we picked a name off of the tree, wrapped the gifts and put the recipients' names on them. Not sure if it's true that they divided the gifts up, but that's annoying if they do. It's probably better to just give to somewhere like Toys for Tots then, or a food pantry.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM

I've done an Angel tree and heard something similar to what what the OP said, except for part about the staff taking the gifts. I was suspicious when I saw many of the exact same item and many of them were quite expensive gifts. Things that would have been the big present for my own kids.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania