Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times

Advertisements

here is what i would love...i know, this is what everyone wants...

i want to live in an urban area. i want to be able to leave my house, walk a block or 2 or 3 and find markets, shops, restaurants and cafe's.
i want to be able to walk my son to a park or cultural activity, and of course would love to live and work in the same city.
would Scranton or Wilkes Barre be an option for this type of life??

i do not want to live in the suburbs!!!! i dont want to have to drive to EVERYTHING. i know i will still need a car and i will still need to use it---but you get the idea.

i grew up in just this type of mid sized city. unfortunately things there have changed for the worse, and i wouldn't bring my son up there. but i miss that!!

our house budget would be 100k or under --about $500-$600 per month if we were to rent....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM

87 posts, read 254,179 times
Well first off let me say that not EVERYONE wants that life. The way that people are and the attitude that most have.. you can take the population and keep it.

I love to live in the country, in fact I don't live far enough removed. I am not anti social and I am not a hermit... but when I go home and have my own down time.. I love to be alone and not bothered.

As far as needing to drive to everything, that is what I sacrafice to have it the way I do.

If you are under 100k or that rent range.. then try Throop or Olyphant, Dickson City. Scranton has gone to hell and Dunmore, the taxes to own are way too high. Read the recent ScrantonTimes article about Dunmore and their fight with taxes and the Landfill and then read how their Fire Department is cutting back. Dunmore is going down hill fast.

It all depends on where you work and how much of a comute you have to get there. If you have a job anywhere near where you live and can walk to it.. you are very lucky or are working at a bar or convienent mart.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
here is what i would love...i know, this is what everyone wants...

i want to live in an urban area. i want to be able to leave my house, walk a block or 2 or 3 and find markets, shops, restaurants and cafe's.
i want to be able to walk my son to a park or cultural activity, and of course would love to live and work in the same city.
would Scranton or Wilkes Barre be an option for this type of life??

i do not want to live in the suburbs!!!! i dont want to have to drive to EVERYTHING. i know i will still need a car and i will still need to use it---but you get the idea.

i grew up in just this type of mid sized city. unfortunately things there have changed for the worse, and i wouldn't bring my son up there. but i miss that!!

our house budget would be 100k or under --about $500-$600 per month if we were to rent....

I'm not like that, i love the country and hate living in Scranton. Give me the green, the trees, the birds, the scenery any day over this. When i lived in the country and wanted to go somewhere i hopped in my car and drove. If i wanted to see the city i drove there, parked the car and got out and did whatever i wanted to do, then drove home. Not everyone wants to live in the city.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM

ok so 2 people who hate living in the city...doesn't really anwer my question though does it??

focus people!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM

129 posts, read 425,380 times
Scranton isn't completely there yet, but it is getting closer. I wish Main St. was revitalized, but there is still a lot there. Green Ridge is nice but certainly not what you are looking for. And Lackawanna and a couple of blocks north have many great shops with most of what you would need. Not very familiar with Wilkes Barre. I keep thinking I will explore down there but never do.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
Sounds to me like Wilkes Barre is what you're looking for, for what you have described you're looking for!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Sounds to me like Wilkes Barre is what you're looking for, for what you have described you're looking for!
ok great! now are there any particular areas in wilkes barre i should be looking in?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
ok great! now are there any particular areas in wilkes barre i should be looking in?
Here is a link to a map of the area right by the square, and river. This was the area I was thinking of: map of wilkes barre pa downtown - Google Maps

Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 AM

how far is Richmont ave from the square?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
About 20. Some blocks are long, near town center, and others short. Have a look on Google Maps.

*From the end of Richmont to the town Square is just about 2 miles.

Last edited by Gerania; 02-17-2010 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania